Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree66Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-11-2021, 22:01   #31

Re: Coming back, what's happened here?

Maybe I have actually missed something because I didn't have a clue as to why all of a sudden. This place is so quite...

What's happened?

I wanted a laugh, oh yeah... unable to log in for 4yrs because I couldn't remember. I don't want trouble. Was just asking....less you went to far. Who edited your original post?

Last edited by odders; 06-11-2021 at 22:04.
odders is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 06-11-2021, 22:17   #32

I don't care I was more ashamed for you than me. Least the websites got people who refrain from out right ingmonnace and self loathing to engage....

Night night skippers
odders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2021, 07:30   #33

Odders, the reason why the site has gone quiet is, as we all know, because a number of people who were regular contributors unfortunately have stopped posting for some reason or other, but that is their prerogative. Sadly a number of the regular ones are no longer with us, and are greatly missed.

It seems that because of health problems you have been unable to participate for a number of years, but now that you have joined in the banter again you should keep this up. I'm sure you have opinions on a lot of subjects, just like most of us do, so why not share them on this site.
dotti34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2021, 07:51   #34
Beacon of light

Odders it is quiet because there is little to comment on if you are not an avid football fan.

I suppose that to some degree that is our fault too, for not posting stuff that is of interest.

But, if you try to post stuff that you think will get a response and it flies like a dead budgie…..well, it is inevitable that you lose heart and stop trying to engage.(that is just how I see it anyway)

Many of the regulars that used Accyweb migrated to Facebook and the part of it that is Hyndburn Chat….of course that is their choice…..and Accyweb seems not to be getting new members who post.
Maybe it no longer appeals because there is nothing to see here.
dotti34 likes this.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2021, 11:14   #35

[QUOTE=Margaret Pilkington;1259114]Odders it is quiet because there is little to comment on if you are not an avid football fan.

Maybe it no longer appeals because there is nothing to see here.

Be careful Marge or I may have to reintroduce my boring allotment posts.
dotti34 likes this.
taddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2021, 13:00   #36
Beacon of light

Taddy, feel free to post about your allotment…it may bring the gardeners and growers out of the woodwork…..and at least it isn’t all balls.
dotti34 and taddy like this.
Old 07-11-2021, 21:25   #37

Nothing boring about your allotment, Taddy. I'm rather envious of your skill in growing what you do. I have great success at growing weeds, and that's about the extent of my gardening.
taddy and monkey hanger like this.
dotti34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2021, 09:01   #38
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dotti34 View Post
Nothing boring about your allotment, Taddy. I'm rather envious of your skill in growing what you do. I have great success at growing weeds, and that's about the extent of my gardening.
that reminds me of when i attempted to plant some flower seeds in the garden. i followed the instructions to the letter and guess what just dandillions came up. my lad just threw his on the ground, stood on them and hey presto they all eventually came up. gardening cannot be magic but it always feels that way to me.
monkey hanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2021, 10:06   #39
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey hanger View Post
that reminds me of when i attempted to plant some flower seeds in the garden. i followed the instructions to the letter and guess what just dandillions came up. my lad just threw his on the ground, stood on them and hey presto they all eventually came up. gardening cannot be magic but it always feels that way to me.
When my lad was about 4 I decided to grow some tomato's in the back yard, bought a grow bag planted the seeds and set up a plastic cloche around the infant plants.
Tended it every day but only one plant grew, nurtured it gave it all the liquid compost it could ever need it was growing strong. Then one afternoon my son ran into the house crying, 'Dad, Dad, the tomato bit me' he screamed, I looked at his arm and there was a red rash, I left him in the care of his Mum and went to investigate.

When I looked closely, I found I had been caring for a nettle all this time.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2021, 10:16   #40
Beacon of light

Oh Less….that made me smile.
Not a natural gardener then?
When I worked on C2 at QPH….the bathroom block on that ward was a lean to add on with a partial glass roof.
In the summer it was just like a greenhouse…..so much so that we grew some very tasty tomatoes in pots on the window ledges in there.
We would go and cut them off as we needed them and often had lovely tomatoes on toast.
Oh yes and the seeds were from a squashed tomato that one of the staff had brought in to make up her salad lunch..
taddy likes this.
Old 08-11-2021, 10:37   #41
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
Not a natural gardener then?
I did improve over the years I actually managed to get my nettle crop into double figures!
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2021, 13:51   #42
Beacon of light

So did you grow enough to make nettle beer then?
Old 08-11-2021, 15:26   #43

[QUOTE=Less;1259150]When my lad was about 4 I decided to grow some tomato's in the back yard, bought a grow bag planted the seeds and set up a plastic cloche around the infant plants.

When I looked closely, I found I had been caring for a nettle all this time.

Oh what a cracker, please keep it up Less, Although I must admit that Tomato's and nettles seem to love being room mates, the number of times that I have come back from my allotment and had to splash vinegar all over my hands in order to nuetralise (spelt wrong) the sting is uncountable. Please forgive any spelling mistakes as I am on my third but not last Hobgoblin. stay safe, keep posting, (hic),Yours the Luddite.
taddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2021, 16:35   #44
Beacon of light

Taddy, don’t you have dock leaves on your allotment…..nettles and dock leaves usually grow close by one another too.
Old 08-11-2021, 18:07   #45
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

As I've mentioned before I'm on a par with Dotti. I do tremendous weeds with no effort at all & under my feeding tables/hangers for the birds there is a veritable cornucopia of green stuff growing, no idea whatsoever as to what it is, but it's growing without any interference from me.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..