Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-03-2007, 11:13   #1
God Member

Compulsory Language Lessons

Modern foreign language lessons are to be compulsory for the first time in England's primary schools.
Education Secretary Alan Johnson backs the recommendation of a review by Lord Dearing, that all children should learn a language from the age of seven.

Wouldn't it be better if we said it was compulsory to speak English when they start school in the first place. We spend money on teaching them to speak English and now they want to spend money teaching them not to
Old 12-03-2007, 11:19   #2
I am Banned

Re: Compulsory Language Lessons

Many primary schools have introduced a foreign language anyway, mine have done basic francais from year 4. Altho can see what you mean that many youngsters do struggle with our own language format, that now text speak has ruined.
accymel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 13:47   #3
Resident Waffler

I think it's a great idea to start learning languages at Primary school. The younger children are when they start the easier it is for them to learn - not all the rules and grammar and stuff, just chatty basics, the same way they learn their mother tongue.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 14:50   #4
Beacon of light

While in principle, it may seem like a good idea...wouldn't it be better to ensure that pupils are numerate and literate? It seems that many children leave school with only the very basics...and to be honest you have to have a good grasp of English to learn a foreign language...unless of course they are only going to do conversational stuff.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 16:18   #5
Resident Waffler

I think they're aiming for the basic conversational stuff. I wish I'd learned at an early age. My friend's son in Germany started to learn English when he was a toddler and he's fluent now. I'm hopeless at German. I've forgotten most of what I ever did learn.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 17:52   #6
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp View Post
I think it's a great idea to start learning languages at Primary school. The younger children are when they start the easier it is for them to learn - not all the rules and grammar and stuff, just chatty basics, the same way they learn their mother tongue.
Absolutely agree Willow .. took the words out of my mouth .. children learn their own language by parroting their parents and if the schools can do this with a foreign language when the brain is young and more open to 'washing' then so be it. Always believed it should be conversation first, grammar and spelling later.

Which language would they chose though ? New suggestions are turning to Mandarin 'cause of the business connections with China; French out now I think, Spanish high on the list as spoken in more countries after English.

Don't think it is a matter of us being useless at foreign languages, just that English reasonably world wide and made us lazy.

What I can't understand is that the pupils in secondary school, who are not moving up to do a G.C.S.E. in a language, would be offered a course focused on more conversational language rather than the Grammar ... yes, please .. wish they had done this when I was at school.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 18:17   #7
God Member

i totally agree with you dave, nice one, karma on its way
Old 12-03-2007, 18:32   #8
God Member

My daughter has had French lessons every week an since she was seven. As there was Arabic and Mandrin a possibility I have to agree that English should come first. Why french beats me , why not Spanish, Portugese Russian etc. Yet I also see in this the need for it as the world is expanding an mixing like never before so it would be inevitable.

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 18:38   #9
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPUGGIE J View Post
My daughter has had French lessons every week an since she was seven. As there was Arabic and Mandrin a possibility I have to agree that English should come first. Why french beats me , why not Spanish, Portugese Russian etc. Yet I also see in this the need for it as the world is expanding an mixing like never before so it would be inevitable.

You and Katex have explained quite clearly ONE of my reasons why it is a daft idea. Choose the language they should learn bearing in mind that there won't be enough teachers to go round for one language so the cirriculum won't be the same nationally.

Last edited by lancsdave; 12-03-2007 at 18:41.
lancsdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 18:47   #10
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancsdave View Post
You and Katex have explained quite clearly ONE of my reasons why it is a daft idea. Choose the language they should learn bearing in mind that there won't be enough teachers to go round for one language so the cirriculum won't be the same nationally.

So then the govenment needs to recruit more teachers. We do need to learn to stay upwith the rest of the world or even get ahead. There is no reason why kids cant be made to learn another language but it has to be done properly.

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

Old 12-03-2007, 18:56   #11
God Member

I think its a good idea providing all the other curriculum needs are met, I'd rather it be French or Spanish though.
grego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 19:01   #12
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPUGGIE J View Post
So then the govenment needs to recruit more teachers. We do need to learn to stay upwith the rest of the world or even get ahead. There is no reason why kids cant be made to learn another language but it has to be done properly.
government and properly in the same statement
Old 12-03-2007, 19:07   #13
God Member

Quote:
government and properly in the same statement

Sorry Dave a bit of a PETER PAN moment there.

Off to slap myself.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

Old 12-03-2007, 19:12   #14
Resting in Peace

Quote:
[B] We spend money on teaching them to speak English and now they want to spend money teaching them not to
We don't know yet lancsdave how these lessons will be implemented and if to the detriment of other subjects ... let's give it a chance.

Throughout my own, daughter's, son's (big gap in age) grandaughter's education have never noticed any neglect whatsover in the teaching of our own language .. English Grammar/Literature abounds. For those children who have not got the natural talent of being a spelling/grammar guru, they will surely pick up verbally another language as they have with the spoken language of our mother country, and can do them no harm in life. For those that are good at these subjects, why should they be penalized for the ones that aren't so good ?

Sorry, cannot agree with your negative and cynical views.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 21:27   #15
Passed away 25-11-09

I go to Malta, frequently, and the Maltese children all speak English which is their official 2nd language. Some speak it extremely well because they are taught from infancy by their parents, others not so well but they learn it at school from the start so they have a basic knowledge. I've noticed, in recent years, they are beginning to be fluent in German too. It's important in a country that's, largely, dependant on the tourist trade.

Young children soak up information like sponges and primary school age is the right time to start.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..