Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 13-05-2010, 22:15   #1
God Member

Conservatives and Liberal Democrat Coalition Government

well done question time ripping the coalition apart lol
Old 13-05-2010, 22:57   #2
Give, give, give member

Re: keep it up Accy Labour

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmonstanley View Post
well done question time ripping the coalition apart lol

Heseltine hit the nail on the head.

Both parties who make up the coalition, will soon be both hugely unpopular, with all sections of the general public.

Plus it's going to be hilarious in five years time, at the next General Election, when the Conservatives and Liberal Democrats eventually get out of the same bed, and start slaggin' each other off again, when contesting and fighting for the same seats.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2010, 22:59   #3
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
Heseltine hit the nail on the head.

Both parties who make up the coalition, will soon be both hugely unpopular, with all sections of the general public.

Plus it's going to be hilarious in five years time, at the next General Election, when the Conservatives and Liberal Democrats eventually get out of the same bed, and start slaggin' each other off again, when contesting and fighting for the same seats.

my moneys on it dont last the full course.
Old 13-05-2010, 23:06   #4
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
my moneys on it dont last the full course.
Looks highly likely it will last.

Part of the deal was that the coalition would be part of a fixed term of government for five years, and without a sizable opposition seems unlikely it could be challenged.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2010, 09:31   #5
Resting in Peace

Re: Conservatives and Liberal Democrat Coalition Government

I'm one of those people that can remember general elections very close together on two occasions, which did absolutely nothing for the country as a whole, I have to say that any coalition isn't recommended, but its what the people wanted so that's what they have got, but another election say in six or twelve months time would be a disaster, especially in the financial climate we find ourselves in, deep in debt and nothing in the coffers
Old 14-05-2010, 09:41   #6
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
I'm one of those people that can remember general elections very close together on two occasions, which did absolutely nothing for the country as a whole, I have to say that any coalition isn't recommended, but its what the people wanted so that's what they have got, but another election say in six or twelve months time would be a disaster, especially in the financial climate we find ourselves in, deep in debt and nothing in the coffers
I hardly think its what the people wanted, its whats come out wi the electorates vote yeh, but i aint spoke to anyone who wanted a coilition no matter who had won. in fact goin off that theory i reckon most wanted none of em, as they never bothered to vote lol

Last edited by cashman; 14-05-2010 at 09:44.
cashman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2010, 09:53   #7
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Quote:
I hardly think its what the people wanted,
I'd agree with you on that , but the Country couldn't afford to be without Governance due to the present World climate. It is the old war time mantra of "Make do & mend", the position of the parties had been decided by the public, so the best of the situation had to be pushed through, hence a coalition !

I'd say the true benefactors in all this are the Lib/Dems, they've achieved a position that would not normally have been possible to them on their own merits. Always the 3rd party, an also ran, but by brokering an agreement with a major party they gotten in through the back door.

Last edited by DaveinGermany; 14-05-2010 at 09:57.
DaveinGermany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2010, 09:58   #8
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinGermany View Post
I'd agree with you on that , but the Country couldn't afford to be without Governance due to the present World climate. It is the old war time mantra of "Make do & mend", the position of the parties had been decided by the public, so the best of the situation had to be pushed through, hence a coalition !
I've always wondered why everybody can work together for the good of the country in war time but not when there is peace
Old 14-05-2010, 10:10   #9
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
I've always wondered why everybody can work together for the good of the country in war time but not when there is peace
They do mate, but only the general public, the ordinary folk/fighters etc,still get shafted wi the upper class *******.
Old 14-05-2010, 14:00   #10
God Member

Quote:
Simple Jaysay....when there are bombs crashing through the roof of your house you don't sit there and argue about whose turn it is to put the kettle on.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2010, 00:55   #11
God Member

Quote:
Seeing as there is no alternative I hope it does not fail.. I don't like the idea of another Election within the year that would most likely have the same results.. at the same time I don't think much of a Tory Government that have somehow got a majority that keeps them in for five years no matter what they get up to.
Mancie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2010, 07:37   #12
Common Sense Member

Both parties need this to work, the Liberals in particular, as the damaging effects of a collapse would probably have lasting consequences. I personally hope they succeed. Who in their right mind wants a government to fail in their own country?

However, there have been some interesting appointments, the only glaring boob being George Osbourne as chancellor instead of Vince Cable.

http://hyndburn-labour.blogspot.co.uk/ - Updates from the Hyndburn Labour Group
Ken Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2010, 07:39   #13
God Member

Con Dem = conned 'em

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2010, 07:52   #14
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Moss View Post
Both parties need this to work, the Liberals in particular, as the damaging effects of a collapse would probably have lasting consequences. I personally hope they succeed. Who in their right mind wants a government to fail in their own country?

However, there have been some interesting appointments, the only glaring boob being George Osbourne as chancellor instead of Vince Cable.
that appointment to me is a case of "Jobs fer the boys" blindingly obvious Cable = smart cookie, Osbourne = Knobhead, cynical as i am, hope alliance suceeds, at the same time, reckon Osama visiting Ground Zero is probably a better bet.
Old 15-05-2010, 08:08   #15
Super Moderator

Quote:
Cable = smart cookie, Osbourne = Knobhead,
This is where the first split might come. Can you imagine a canny operator like Vince taking orders from an arrogant Hooray Henry? How long before he snaps? If Clegg had any sense, he would've held out for a reversal of roles - Vince as the bossman with George as his gopher!

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..