Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-01-2009, 15:14   #16
God Member

Re: Cookies Tea Rooms in the Arndale

ya can getr decent coffee in Preston Shaker, ya dont need to go that far love lol
Old 09-01-2009, 15:46   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by churchman phil View Post
Decided to call in for a little breakfast this morning. It was the first and last time. Behind the counter are probably the most miserable bunch of ladies this side of the Pennines...
I've only been in there twice I think, so I'm not sure if it's the same place, but if it is the only cafe in the Arndale (as Blazey has said) then one of my customers has just been saying how wonderful they all are in there.

You can please some people all of the time, etc.

Studio25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 16:12   #18
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashy View Post
ya can getr decent coffee in Preston Shaker, ya dont need to go that far love lol
Preston & Manc are both 20 miles from me and given the choice I'd have the latter any day! Printworks, Pop & Piccadilly Records win it
shakermaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 16:33   #19
Resting in Peace

The one in Blackburn got in trouble with the health... dead mice found in or near food:
Don't really go in the one in Accy..... being that I can not have a smoke with my brew.... and there are always screaming kids...... ( hate that )
magpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 18:38   #20
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by churchman phil View Post
Decided to call in for a little breakfast this morning. It was the first and last time. Behind the counter are probably the most miserable bunch of ladies this side of the Pennines.
I went for the Big Five breakfast option but when asked if it would be possible to have mushrooms instead of the tomato the person serving just said you can't replace anything - the first time that has happened anywhere.
When the breakfast arrived it looked awful. The egg must have been cooked in oil so old it looked dirty!! The bacon was half meat half fat, the sausage crunchy and the beans looked as if they'd been kept warm for a least two hours. The tomato was cooked on the outside and raw in the middle ('erindoors had this).
I for one will not be venturing into this place again as there is certainly no pride in serving and producing a nice looking meal for the customer.

Think the Staff member might be wrong there....The Mushrooms might not be replaceable....but miserable staff like that sure as hell are. The staff used to be quite cheerful in there but must admit the current bunch are a gloomy lot alright!

Best Regards - Taggy
Taggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 18:45   #21
Caz
God Member

Never been in the place, under any management, certainly won't now.

Maybe there might be an off day for food, but surely the customer is always right and there is room for compromise?

PS Mind you, be careful Phil, didn't you know you aren't allowed to criticise a business on here?

I am not young enough to know everything.
- Oscar Wilde
Caz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 18:46   #22

We went in about 2 years ago and had a very miserable experience. Asked for 2 veggi breakfast. They looked at us like we had landed from Mars and produced fried egg (hard) Beans (cold) and tomatoes (raw). needless to say we never went back.
polly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 19:25   #23
Senior Member+

The best cafe in town for a breakfast is Annies in the old arcade on Church Street.

buttonsmum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 19:30   #24
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by buttonsmum View Post
The best cafe in town for a breakfast is Annies in the old arcade on Church Street.
always been ok in yon, me late missus worked there fer years when Dorothy had it. twas good back then also.
Old 09-01-2009, 19:37   #25
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
, in fact i would rather plat snot than dine in yon.
Would have to think about that one Cashy ..

Quote:
Originally Posted by magpie View Post
Don't really go in the one in Accy..... being that I can not have a smoke with my brew....
Me neither Magpie .. used to go in before the changeover, was always busy and gave a much needed break from shopping. Was good then I thought. Now, just rush in and rush out and maybe, if I could linger longer, would buy more in town, but having a fag outside in the cold doesn't appeal now, I'm afraid...
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 19:59   #26
God Member

I've been in Cookies in Accy a few times but when I've been in I've only had a brew and maybe a piece of toast.

I've never had a meal there and it's quite pricey so you would expect good food.
Old 10-01-2009, 09:12   #27
Resting in Peace

That used to be a great cafe at the bottom of Warner Street, think we've discussed it on here before, but you had to queue up to get in every lunchtime, and the grub was first class a was the service, but there again that was back in the sixties when I used it, people in those days appreciated your custom, unlike today, they don't give a toss now, likes it or lump it, then they wonder why places close through lack of support
Old 10-01-2009, 11:07   #28
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
That used to be a great cafe at the bottom of Warner Street, think we've discussed it on here before, but you had to queue up to get in every lunchtime, and the grub was first class a was the service, but there again that was back in the sixties when I used it, people in those days appreciated your custom, unlike today, they don't give a toss now, likes it or lump it, then they wonder why places close through lack of support
Was it called Bowdens, Jaysay??....If so i seem to remember them doing really good Spud Pie!

Best Regards - Taggy
Taggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 12:58   #29
Super Moderator

Go in Cookies quite regularly on a Saturday and it's always seemed OK to me...although there's not much you can mess up with a baked spud and chilli filling. Haven't noticed any change in the staff's attitude but I usually have something else on my mind at the time (the last lingering hangover pains from Friday night, the forthcoming potential bananaskin at the FES etc). However, I will keenly observe any deterioration in staff civility next time I'm in!

Quote:
Originally Posted by buttonsmum View Post
Want to try this place though, especially as I've been promised a free meal there. It's run by my ex-boss who was made redundant from our place about five years ago.

Seems quite a change from being the creative director of a Manchester ad agency, to running a cafe in Accy!
Old 10-01-2009, 13:49   #30
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taggy View Post
Was it called Bowdens, Jaysay??....If so i seem to remember them doing really good Spud Pie!

Best Regards - Taggy
Spot on Taggy, they also did a nice Spotted Dick too

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..