Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 16-05-2011, 17:42   #31
Senior Member+

Re: Council finances in a shocking state

Quote:
Originally Posted by g jones View Post
2. They failed to balence last years budget raiding the reserves to the tune of £300,000. A figure Labour now has to find to pay back last year AND find savings for every year.
Regular members of this forum will know I have been warning of this since November. The problem isnt just with last years budget. In February the Council set an "unbalanced" budget which contained 600,000 pounds worth of uncertain income predictions which, as far as I know, have not been fully examined, as the then Chair of Scrutiny Committee wouldn't allow them to be questioned.

It can only be that the previous administration rode rough shod over the professional advice of officers, who have now been left to pick up the pieces with the new administration.

Don't blame the officers.
gynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 16-05-2011, 17:56   #32
Beacon of light

I think we all know where the blame lies.......and it isn't with the officers.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2011, 17:58   #33
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by gynn View Post
Regular members of this forum will know I have been warning of this since November. The problem isnt just with last years budget. In February the Council set an "unbalanced" budget which contained 600,000 pounds worth of uncertain income predictions which, as far as I know, have not been fully examined, as the then Chair of Scrutiny Committee wouldn't allow them to be questioned.

It can only be that the previous administration rode rough shod over the professional advice of officers, who have now been left to pick up the pieces with the new administration.

Don't blame the officers.
I don't think anyone is blaming the officers. Your last paragraph sums up what has happened.
Bernard Dawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2011, 18:20   #34
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernard Dawson View Post
I don't think anyone is blaming the officers. Your last paragraph sums up what has happened.
I know they aren't to blame. You know they aren't to blame. Lets hope the External Auditors are as charitable. They always like SOMEONE to blame to justify their astronomical fees, and officers are usually in the firing line!
gynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2011, 18:34   #35
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
A thread claiming to know the true identity of Bee has been deleted, which has convinced me that that poster was correct
also other stuff on another thread about that very subject, as toyah once sang "Its A Mystery" But far be it fer me to cast the first stone.............Just the BIGGEST. pmsl
Old 16-05-2011, 21:47   #36
Common Sense Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gynn View Post
In February the Council set an "unbalanced" budget which contained 600,000 pounds worth of uncertain income predictions which, as far as I know, have not been fully examined, as the then Chair of Scrutiny Committee wouldn't allow them to be questioned.
The new Chair of Scrutiny is a real swine, I'm fairly sure that there will be a few questions tabled that certain members of the previous administration would rather were not asked.

Or the findings published.

Oops.

http://hyndburn-labour.blogspot.co.uk/ - Updates from the Hyndburn Labour Group
Ken Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2011, 22:42   #37
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Moss View Post
The new Chair of Scrutiny is a real swine, I'm fairly sure that there will be a few questions tabled that certain members of the previous administration would rather were not asked.

Or the findings published.

Oops.
if any illegal doings such as fraud can be proven will charges be pressed.Not suggesting illegal goings on have occurred but if they have been and can be proven it would be nice to see punishment handed out for once.Or to borrow one mans claim are they all made of tefal and nothing sticks to them ?

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2011, 04:14   #38
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkinman221 View Post
after all you are in america are you not? But you still come on accy web to see whats going on here, are there no issues in the usa which concern you more?
Think the old maxim 'travel broadens the mind " and I've never had a parochial (closed/small) mind . Seems to me lots of Hyndburn locals are primed and ready to comment on US and World affairs /events and no-one complains about that .
One or two points if you want to keep things "local" maybe you should be using the HBC web-site ....oops forgot , it doesn't work , seem to remember lots of money spent but nothing to show , obivously the elected Council at the time were 'conned' into accepting a bum system on advice from Council employed IT experts ( do these folks still have jobs at HBC ?) .
Not sure , and may be wrong here (sure someone will correct me soon enough) but I'm of the understanding that the bloke/chap/guy who started , owns , operates and finances this site is or was an overseas non domiciled Brit, based somewhere in eastern Europe so maybe your anti Hyndburn resident bias is a bit off target .
I'm also supposing your against a non resident Brit owning/saving Accrington Stanley from the knackers yard , maybe all the folks who follow Stanley in the various football threads should be excluded from posting comments on Accy web , or maybe folks who live outside the Borough be banned from posting videos on the music thread , or maybe its your dislike of the occasional weather report from Canada
My suggetion ...... if you are so upset at non Hyndburn residents commenting and posting you should contact one of the moderators and have them 'isolate' our isps/posts to anything non Hyndburn , that way you and other local residents (including Bee, can discuss to your hearts content the merits of the colour of the local dog muck fouling the pavements and argue about who had the market stall next to Uncle Dick)

Last edited by steeljack; 17-05-2011 at 04:17.
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2011, 04:20   #39
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeljack View Post
Think the old maxim 'travel broadens the mind " and I've never had a parochial (closed/small) mind . Seems to me lots of Hyndburn locals are primed and ready to comment on US and World affairs /events and no-one complains about that .
One or two points if you want to keep things "local" maybe you should be using the HBC web-site ....oops forgot , it doesn't work , seem to remember lots of money spent but nothing to show , obivously the elected Council at the time were 'conned' into accepting a bum system on advice from Council employed IT experts ( do these folks still have jobs at HBC ?) .
Not sure , and may be wrong here (sure someone will correct me soon enough) but I'm of the understanding that the bloke/chap/guy who started , owns , operates and finances this site is or was an overseas non domiciled Brit, based somewhere in eastern Europe so maybe your anti Hyndburn resident bias is a bit off target .
I'm also supposing your against a non resident Brit owning/saving Accrington Stanley from the knackers yard , maybe all the folks who follow Stanley in the various football threads should be excluded from posting comments on Accy web , or maybe folks who live outside the Borough be banned from posting videos on the music thread , or maybe its your dislike of the occasional weather report from Canada
My suggetion ...... if you are so upset at non Hyndburn residents commenting and posting you should contact one of the moderators and have them 'isolate' our isps/posts to anything non Hyndburn , that way you and other local residents (including Bee, can discuss to your hearts content the merits of the colour of the local dog muck fouling the pavements and argue about who had the market stall next to Uncle Dick)
Aaaannnnnnd reeeeeeelax lol

ps:

have you not told them your only in the usa because you are an undercover spy and are using this forum to pass on secret information to your handler ?

oops soz about blowing your cover

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2011, 05:27   #40
God Member

Who did have the stall next to Uncle Dick

Oh, and it's cold and rainy here Kinda Accyish
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2011, 15:21   #41
Give, give, give member

I miss the old days.

I actually feel a little bereft.

Not much fun.

Just with Judy, and a few sausages.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2011, 15:23   #42
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
Who did have the stall next to Uncle Dick
Wasn't it Aunt Fanny's fancy goods?

Old 17-05-2011, 16:26   #43
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeljack View Post
It's common knowledge that the owner of this site started Accy Web, in order for those from the area to stay in touch with 'home'. Wherever in the world, the four winds wind have blown 'em.

I like our Yanky contributors.

I always picture them sat on a swing, on some porch.

Chewin' baccy.

Gun cocked.

Ready to see of any of dem damn pinko liberals.

Old 17-05-2011, 17:13   #44
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkinman221 View Post
A little unfair that i think, graham is an accy lad so he is going to be concerned about what is going on here, after all you are in america are you not? But you still come on accy web to see whats going on here, are there no issues in the usa which concern you more? You live there at the end of the day

Guess all's right with the World and the Country and theres nowt going on in London requiring the deputy opposition whips attention , same with County Council business. From steeljacks original post

I think if you read your original post and mine they say the same thing,yours commenting on grahams other duties maybe suffering because of his attention to matters in accrington when he should be concentrating on his other duties.And mine commenting on what i thought was an unfair assumption graham was neglecting his parliamentary duties because he was commenting on this matter.You made the point that his attention should be further south , not in so many words but the inferencer was there none the less there.I merely turned that point round on you,but you didnt seem to like it and commented that i was saying that out off town/country posters should be banned(that only applies to yorkshire folk) this is not the case ,as for commenting on american/ world issues i am quite entitled to do so, as you are more than entitled to comment on english/ world issues but then again so is graham .Anyway back to the dog muck, and i will endeavour to find out for you who has the stall next to uncle dick

Last edited by walkinman221; 17-05-2011 at 17:18.
walkinman221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2011, 17:21   #45
Senior Member+

Can you please stop giving out weather reports for your foreign country thx

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..