Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-11-2007, 22:33   #16
Give, give, give member

Re: council recycling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
Of course they have. Companies have been recycling paper and separating waste for years. I have not worked for a company yet that did not separate paper, metal etc. It is not the responsibility of the Council but that of the Company to ensure it's waste is correctly handled. Yes some firms may pay for HBC trade collections. Many other businesses use companies such as Biffa, Smurfit etc etc to collect their waste.

You're wrong.

As Peter Britcliffe admitted, when questioned by the Observer in the article I instigated, there is no facility in Hyndburn to recycle trade waste.

All trade waste collected by the council currently goes to landfill. There is nowhere to take the waste to be recycled, not even the tip. If the council think trade waste is being disposed off through residential recycling collections, stickers are first issued, and then letters, with the threat of heavy fines.

So quite how HBC is managing to recycle their waste at their various sites throughout the borough, is a mystery.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 11-11-2007, 22:42   #17
God Member

Hyndburn council charge for collection from trade premises - If I recall correctly it was £350 a year (14 yrs ago) for a large lidded bin and 20p for every bag of overflow.
Therefore it is and was financial sense to separate paper waste to a paper waste recycling facility who collect it from you free and make money selling it on
letsrecycle.com - News and information for the Recycling and Waste Management Community

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 22:46   #18
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Hyndburn council charge for collection from trade premises - If I recall correctly it was £350 a year (14 yrs ago) for a large lidded bin and 20p for every bag of overflow.
Therefore it is and was financial sense to separate paper waste to a paper waste recycling facility who collect it from you free and make money selling it on
letsrecycle.com - News and information for the Recycling and Waste Management Community
Trade waste is still charged to be taken away, on top of the business rates that are paid, unlike residential waste currently being free when we pay our Council Tax.

All of it goes to landfill.

Old 11-11-2007, 22:49   #19
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
Trade waste is still charged to be taken away, on top of the business rates that are paid, unlike residential waste currently being free when we pay our Council Tax.

All of it goes to landfill.
The point I was making is that by directing waste paper to a recycling company saves paying Hynburn Council for the use of more than one large lidded bin or extra bags at 20p a go

waste paper lancashire - Google Search

Old 11-11-2007, 23:21   #20
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
The point I was making is that by directing waste paper to a recycling company saves paying Hynburn Council for the use of more than one large lidded bin or extra bags at 20p a go

waste paper lancashire - Google Search
I wasn't disagreeing with you.

It would make economic, as well as ecological sense.

Then again, common sense and Hyndburn Borough Council don't make happy bed fellows.

Old 12-11-2007, 08:21   #21
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
You're wrong.

As Peter Britcliffe admitted, when questioned by the Observer in the article I instigated, there is no facility in Hyndburn to recycle trade waste.

All trade waste collected by the council currently goes to landfill.
As you said in the last sentence above HBC don't recycle trade waste. Other waste companies operating within Hyndburn do.

What should have been stated in the paper is that HBC's Refuse Service do not recycle trade waste. There is a difference.
Old 12-11-2007, 08:26   #22
Give, give, give member

Quote:
As you said in the last sentence above HBC don't recycle trade waste. Other waste companies operating within Hyndburn do.

What should have been stated in the paper is that HBC's Refuse Service do not recycle trade waste. There is a difference.
That fact was stated in the paper.

Hyndburn Borough Council does not recycle any trade waste.

Fact.

Except that somehow they do now mysteriously manage to recycle their own waste.

Old 12-11-2007, 11:39   #23
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

Quote:
Except that somehow they do now mysteriously manage to recycle their own waste.
Maybe they are using a different contractor.
They might get a better service that way
Old 12-11-2007, 11:43   #24
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

Talking about recycling they wont give me a green bin because they say we don't have gardens on my street.

I know have 4 bin bag's full of leaves I have just collected that have fallen from the trees in the garden they say I don't have. I have also just trimmed the hedge I don't have and then cut the grass I don't have. To say I don't have any grass the damn stuff is still growing and it was zero degrees C this morning. I think my 'virtual' grass have must have got its 'virtual' growing season mixed up.

If I had a green bin I would pick up the Council's leaves from the Council trees on the front street as well because they never bother to do it. Then again being stupid I will end up doing it anyway.
Old 12-11-2007, 11:44   #25
God Member

It must be difficult for small businesses who may well have limited space for storage of cardboard and paper. I found that waste paper traders need quite a large amount to be ready for collection in order to justify free collection.
Also there are potential fire risks in storing those volumes of card and paper.

Old 12-11-2007, 15:35   #26
Resident Waffler

Quote:
Talking about recycling they wont give me a green bin because they say we don't have gardens on my street.

They reckon we don't have gardens in Willows Lane either. Dunno what they think those things are outside people's houses.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2007, 17:33   #27

I have been battling for a green bin for 3 years - I have phoned, written, and been to the depot on Willow's Lane without success - my garden has hedges, bushes and large shrubs and I now have a 6 foot pile of garden waste.
ossylass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2007, 17:48   #28

Didn't they have a shredder at Melbourne House then?
Old 13-11-2007, 17:50   #29
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LYNX1 View Post
Didn't they have a shredder at Melbourne House then?
Not when I was there - maybe now

Old 13-11-2007, 18:02   #30
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ossylass View Post
I now have a 6 foot pile of garden waste.

Thats a bit of a ******, the bins are only 5ft high

Have you tried contacting your local councillor ?

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..