Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 28-09-2009, 17:21   #1
Senior Member+

Council Tax well Spent????

If anyone has doubts about the value for money we get from our Council Tax, Fear Not.......its going to a good cause!!!

Daily Express | UK News :: Families foot bill for council pensions

Best Regards - Taggy
Taggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 28-09-2009, 18:14   #2
God Member

Re: Council Tax well Spent????

These pensions used to paid from the old rates system... then the Poll Tax and now the Council Tax.. nothing new, but maybe the all singing all dancing Tories will sort it out next year
Mancie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2009, 18:48   #3
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

The pensions should be paid for by the employees with a percentage paid for by the Council in the same way as none public sector pensions are paid.

Should Councils end final salary pension schemes like most private sector employers have?
Old 28-09-2009, 20:28   #4
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mancie View Post
These pensions used to paid from the old rates system... then the Poll Tax and now the Council Tax.. nothing new, but maybe the all singing all dancing Tories will sort it out next year
Mancie, you are beginning to think like a Tory.
Jobs for the boys....out of the window.
Jobs for life out of the window.
Fair days work for a fair days pay.
Granny State...out of the window.
If the country cant afford it why burden the taxpayers for years to come with the failures of the present Government?
Time for a change.
I still ask the Question....Where has the money gone?

Blackburn Rovers Supporter Since 1950
Royboy39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2009, 21:41   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
The pensions should be paid for by the employees with a percentage paid for by the Council in the same way as none public sector pensions are paid.

Should Councils end final salary pension schemes like most private sector employers have?

The pensions are funded by the employees paying a minimum of a 6% contribution from their salary plus a contribution from the employer
hedman2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2009, 22:15   #6
God Member

For most of the time I was a civil servant, our pay rises were decided by a pay review body, which looked at pay in the private sector for comparable type work, then reduced our pay award to take into account the fact that no deductions from our pay were made for the pension.
So we paid for our pensions by being paid less in wages than was due.

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2009, 22:49   #7
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royboy39 View Post
Mancie, you are beginning to think like a Tory.
Jobs for the boys....out of the window.
Jobs for life out of the window.
Fair days work for a fair days pay.
Granny State...out of the window.
If the country cant afford it why burden the taxpayers for years to come with the failures of the present Government?
Time for a change.
I still ask the Question....Where has the money gone?
The money has gone/goes to paying the national pensions.. I know that is abhorant to the Tories but I'm sure they will sort it out just like everything else they are gonna sort out.
Old 28-09-2009, 23:12   #8
God Member

Quote:
The money has gone/goes to paying the national pensions.. I know that is abhorant to the Tories and I'm sure they will sort it out just like everything else they are gonna sort out.
You may be right...then again?
Mancie...the pink goggles are on again, if you can defend the spend, spend policies of the government go for it
I can't afford it, you can't afford it and most people in the UK can't afford it.
25 Grand per household, are we living in dreamland or what.
You can't lay this on the shoulders of Maggie.
The country is in a mess, the currency is in a mess, the Banking System is in a mess, the Governmnent is in a mess.
I tried to add more but time was not on my side,

Blackburn Rovers Supporter Since 1950
Royboy39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2009, 23:35   #9
God Member

come on Royboy.. you know as well as I that these pensions have been paid for at least the last 40yrs.. yet all of a sudden it's down to Labour.
Old 29-09-2009, 09:30   #10
Resting in Peace

Quote:
come on Royboy.. you know as well as I that these pensions have been paid for at least the last 40yrs.. yet all of a sudden it's down to Labour.
As a Labour councillor once said to me "we're in power we'll take the credit" it works both ways "if your in power you get the flake as well and this shower deserve all the flake that's coming their way, but in spades
Old 29-09-2009, 12:28   #11
Full Member+

Quote:

Yeh, and next week at the Tory party conference they're gonna tell us all how they're gonna do it, he he ! I wait with baited breath.

Last edited by Reamer; 29-09-2009 at 12:29. Reason: spellcheck
Reamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2009, 15:42   #12
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reamer View Post
Yeh, and next week at the Tory party conference they're gonna tell us all how they're gonna do it, he he ! I wait with baited breath.
Well whatever they say they can't do any worse than this lot or for that matter any Labour Government in history, they always leave a **** tip for others to clean up after them
Old 30-09-2009, 12:01   #13
Full Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Well whatever they say they can't do any worse than this lot or for that matter any Labour Government in history, they always leave a **** tip for others to clean up after them

Nothing like a reasoned, well balanced standpoint ,is there , Jaysay ??
Reamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2009, 13:02   #14
Senior Member+

Whichever side of the Fence your on 20% of Council Tax going on Town Hall Staff Pensions is simply not defensible......its an outrage!!!

Best Regards - Taggy
Taggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2009, 15:24   #15
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reamer View Post
Nothing like a reasoned, well balanced standpoint ,is there , Jaysay ??
You don't need one if you've half a brain

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..