Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 29-07-2005, 16:59   #16
God Member

Re: Councillors vote themselves a 26% rise.

glad to hear you give your side Graham

I know this may come as a shock but believe it or not all views I may air on here are my own work!!!!!
harwood red is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 29-07-2005, 17:02   #17
Member.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harwood red
ouch, if you are attending tomorrow night then I'm going to sit in opposite corner and this bitch is gonna scowl at you all night
You won't be sat on your own I'm sure................ Sorry, I was only joking.......

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2005, 17:04   #18
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug
You won't be sat on your own I'm sure................ Sorry, I was only joking.......
<<<He that's my first drink taken care of!!!>>>

Oops I think I just said that out loud

All forgiven doug, I'm looking forward to a good laugh tomorrow night and then by the end of the night you will prob be able to understand my kind of humour

I know this may come as a shock but believe it or not all views I may air on here are my own work!!!!!
Old 29-07-2005, 17:05   #19
I am Banned

Quote:
ooooo I spotted Graham Jones reading this thread but yet no reply???? Come on Graham tell us what you think of Gayle's letter and the allowance's issue??
I agreed with it. Gayles was a good letter.

Basically Council Housing has gone down the tube because it has been run like Leeds United and not a business, ditto the Market Hall and anything else. Its not that we [residents of Hyndburn] are not capable. Cllr Britcliffe has kept out of Globe Enterprise's [just] and thats making a healthy profit for the Hyndburn public [as well as jobs, regen etc..]. Mind you he was pushing to shut that down and sell it off some months back.

There are loads of people capable in Hyndburn, we just elect people as Cllr Hamilton said "who are self serving". Thats why demcracy is in crises.
Graham Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2005, 17:14   #20
Member.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham Jones
I agreed with it. Gayles was a good letter.

Basically Council Housing has gone down the tube because it has been run like Leeds United and not a business, ditto the Market Hall and anything else. Its not that we [residents of Hyndburn] are not capable. Cllr Britcliffe has kept out of Globe Enterprise's [just] and thats making a healthy profit for the Hyndburn public [as well as jobs, regen etc..]. Mind you he was pushing to shut that down and sell it off some months back.

There are loads of people capable in Hyndburn, we just elect people as Cllr Hamilton said "who are self serving". Thats why demcracy is in crises.
Maybe the Labour Group should heighten its public profile and begin by electing individuals that are less self serving and are prepared to serve the electorate of the Borough and turn it round. I am sure from what I’ve read on this site that there is growing support for change.

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Old 29-07-2005, 17:17   #21
I am Banned

Quote:
ooooo I spotted Graham Jones reading this thread but yet no reply???? Come on Graham tell us what you think of Gayle's letter and the allowance's issue??
The thing about the allowances is this. The basic is what all 35 councillors get. The leader gets a bonus 4 times that ON TOP of that basic [so x5 in all]. Thats £4,000 basic plus on top £16,000 extra. Total £20,000 plus expenses like travel, child minding etc..

The duputy leaders get an ON TOP bonus of 2x the basic + basic. The 6 committee chairs get 1.5x BONUS. The 5 vice chairs get 0.5x BONUS. The Opposition leader gets 2x BONUS and opposition deputies 0.5x BONUS. Area Council chairs get 0.65x BONUS. Cabinet members get 1.5x BONUS. All on top of the £4,000 basic. Missed a couple out somewhere.

The outside body that made the recomendations made up of a solicitor, an acountant, a business man - 5 people in all - suggested [after an indepth review] a rise of just 2.95%. Obviously the independent panels views were thrown out in favour of a 26% rise.
Old 29-07-2005, 17:20   #22
I am Banned

Quote:
Maybe the Labour Group should heighten its public profile and begin by electing individuals that are less self serving and are prepared to serve the electorate of the Borough and turn it round. I am sure from what I’ve read on this site that there is growing support for change.
The Labour Group itself was split, 70:30 against the rise.
Old 29-07-2005, 17:20   #23
God Member

thanks graham for your well put responses

Old 29-07-2005, 17:21   #24
Member.

I am not sure who deducted Karma in this thread in respect of the fact that:

Councillors vote themse... 29-07-2005 18:11 Children read this forum

If I offended you have my apology. But I can assure you that there is far worse said that is by far, more offensive and corrupting. However, I take you point and accept you criticism in the manner you intended. Which I assume was constructive.

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Old 29-07-2005, 17:23   #25
God Member

Quote:
Any suggestions?

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2005, 17:40   #26
Member.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gayle Knight
Any suggestions?
I don’t know any of those already serving the borough other than by what I’ve read on here and I’m not sure about any of them, irrespective of party……..What I would give personal support too is someone of integrity and vision who can raise above the normal balderdash that comes out of local politics and put the Borough back on the map. Our towns have a lot to offer the people of Hyndburn if the right leadership is available. Much of this is in the hand of those who have a vote locally, but local people will need to be invigorated by someone who can speak form the heart and demonstrate that they aren’t themselves just self-serving. What I do suggest is that there are enough people on this site to express an opinion as to who would be suitable candidates. Any Suggestions?

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Old 29-07-2005, 17:55   #27
Beacon of light

oooh, think I've started something here...!
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2005, 17:57   #28
Beacon of light

[QUOTE=Graham Jones]I agreed with it. Gayles was a good letter.

Graham is this why Joe McIntyre can say that HBC have turned their finances around in another article in this weeks Observer.....?
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2005, 17:57   #29
Give, give, give member

People that decided to stand for election, knew the allowances they were entitled to before the election. To then start moaning that it doesn't equate with the mimimum wage, as Peter Britcliffe did is disgraceful.

Very heartening to see two of the youngest members of the Council standing up and publicly stating their opposition to this massive hike of 26%.

Hardly cutting our cloth accordingly, when the Borough is still in such financial dire straits no matter what recent spin they try to attach to it.

Well done Cllrs. Hamilton and Jones for speaking out.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2005, 18:00   #30
Member.

It’s better than inertia Margaret. If we’re going to have a debate it may as well serve a purpose. Having said that it would be an advantage if I knew what I was talking about……..

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..