Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 29-07-2005, 18:04   #31
Beacon of light

Re: Councillors vote themselves a 26% rise.

I just saw the article and thought it was a huge hike. Especially as the Council have been is such dire straits recently.......except according to Joe Mc Intyre......they are on track again now......but they have no 'family silver'left to hock.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 29-07-2005, 18:04   #32
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham Jones
I agreed with it. Gayles was a good letter.

Basically Council Housing has gone down the tube because it has been run like Leeds United and not a business
Think that comment is a little unfair graham, council house maintenance, and lack of has been a problem in hyndburn for years, not just in the past 2/3 years. BwD have the same problem as have all other local authorities and BwD is labour controlled is'nt it.

Not had the chance to read gayles letter yet, but I'm sure there will be some interesting comments in there.

Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.
Albert Einstein.

park381 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2005, 18:05   #33
Beacon of light

I applaud Graham and Councillor Hamilton for having the guts to speak up and for telling it like it is in the real world.
Old 29-07-2005, 18:08   #34
Give, give, give member

Just a note, when election time comes round again next time, remember this.

We voted for them.

Strange this wasn't done just before the last election.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2005, 18:09   #35
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by park381
Think that comment is a little unfair graham, council house maintenance, and lack of has been a problem in hyndburn for years, not just in the past 2/3 years. BwD have the same problem as have all other local authorities and BwD is labour controlled is'nt it.

Not had the chance to read gayles letter yet, but I'm sure there will be some interesting comments in there.
The letter is more or less the same as the one I posted on here last week - you've got to laugh.. or you'd cry - thread.

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2005, 18:14   #36
Member.

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda
Just a note, when election time comes round again next time, remember this.

We voted for them.

Strange this wasn't done just before the last election.
It wasn't for the lack of encouragement..........

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2005, 18:15   #37
Beacon of light

Watch out for mine in next weeks Observer........Mr 'It Really Makes My Blood Boil' Angry.
Old 29-07-2005, 18:21   #38
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gayle Knight
The letter is more or less the same as the one I posted on here last week - you've got to laugh.. or you'd cry - thread.
Will still sit down and read it gayle, along with all the other letters its interesting reading, trouble is I've got to wait whilst daughter has finished reading it

Albert Einstein.

Old 29-07-2005, 18:26   #39
God Member

The grabbing, incompetent, self-serving, self-satisfied, smug, pompous, inefectual, overpaid, underworked, conceited, sanctimonious..B*ST*RDS!

This has to be the final straw. I cannot believe that they have the nerve or the bare faced cheek!
Old 29-07-2005, 18:26   #40
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington
Watch out for mine in next weeks Observer........Mr 'It Really Makes My Blood Boil' Angry.
Go on Margaret give us a preview.
Funny though, you can reply to an observer article on line, had a few wines one sat night, went on to observer web site, saw an article on the old fav. "the wheelie" and sent a reply, got a right B******* off the wife when she opened the observer the week after and looked at letters to the editor

Albert Einstein.

Old 29-07-2005, 18:34   #41
I am Banned

[QUOTE=Margaret Pilkington]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham Jones
I agreed with it. Gayles was a good letter.

Basically Council Housing has gone down the tube because it has been run like Leeds United and not a business, ditto the Market Hall and anything else. Its not that we [residents of Hyndburn] are not capable. Cllr Britcliffe has kept out of Globe Enterprise's [just] and thats making a healthy profit for the Hyndburn public [as well as jobs, regen etc..]. Mind you he was pushing to shut that down and sell it off some months back.

Graham is this why Joe McIntyre can say that HBC have turned their finances around in another article in this weeks Observer.....?

Hi Margaret, I think there are two seperate issues here. Joe McIntyre was refering to this years [current] account only.

We keep overspending and this years first quarter April-July ledger was showing a predicted year end overspend of 2% [£300,000] but he was saying that was not a lot in the big scheme of things and that measures had been taken so we finished level at the end of the year. ....And it refered to revenue [current account] spending only, not large receipts/big projects monies which are seperate [Capital Spending] or Council House spending which is also seperate [HRA]

My point was different and is about the general policies over years. They [Joe McIntyre and co.] might have balanced the books but a lot of what was spent was wasted, including non council monies which the council spends. Such as European and Government assistance to poor areas grants. ie Poor priorities, even poorer management and poor outcomes in general.
Graham Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2005, 18:39   #42
Beacon of light

That's what I like Graham........a straight answer........It may be that I have misconstrued what is reported in the Observer......or it may just be my naivete in the finer points of local politics. I can always count on you to educate me.......thankyou.
Old 29-07-2005, 18:41   #43
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by park381

A think thats a fair point and opens up the debate a bit. So to respond I would make this point.

Under George Slynns Labour and Peter Britcliffes Tories, £m's of waste have been found. That has had a knock on effect as Council Housing has been milked to pay for other Council policies. Central services [in the Council like payroll] have always overcharged the Council Housing Account [HRA].

Council House sales have not gone back to help 'Our Council House Business' but again diverted to prop up councillors other big spending policies elsewhere. Rents have not been based on any business sense of rent vs repairs/maintenance but panic over council house votes.

Council Housing was NOT run as a business and it wasted £m's. eg concentrating on responsive repairs instead of capital spending. Of being too socially responsible and footing huge debt and damage bills. Upgrading Council Housing to the of £ms without any plan.. eg £6m spent on Bolton Avenue in 95 and in 2003, we demolished 49 houses as unfit. That £6m debt is still being payed off over 40 years and hence affect the capacity to keep up with repairs now.

And many authorities persued similar policies regardless of political allegances.

Anyway, I'll get pulled for thread wander.... so back to allowances..

Last edited by Graham Jones; 29-07-2005 at 18:52.
Graham Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2005, 18:48   #44
Beacon of light

Graham it is my fault......I caused the thread to wander, but it all seemed to be in the same shire...if you see what I mean (finances and all that).

Last edited by Margaret Pilkington; 29-07-2005 at 18:49. Reason: fingers like sausages.....oops!
Old 29-07-2005, 19:23   #45

I applause you Graham for standing uop for what you believe, Britcliffe is making a fortune out of his position as it is and a 26% rise would be a disgusting travesty of justice for the council leader to take out of a failing council expences in excess of £30,000. Stick to your guns mate and block what you can or this bloody idiot will vote himself a knighthood and the freedom of the borough.
fireman is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..