Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-10-2013, 15:07   #16
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Re: Crash for Cash

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpick24 View Post
You can check whether a car is insured for free here - http://ownvehicle.askmid.com/
You`re only supposed to use it to check your own car, but who`ll know.
First one on the street I picked isn't, mine is
Old 03-10-2013, 17:19   #17
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
I agree, if you pull out and hit something it's your fault but this accident examiner says the flasher is very often found to be at fault.
A guy I used to work with told me he was driving along one gloomy day, went under a bridge. The combination of gloomy day and driving under the bridge turned on his automatic headlights. A car was waiting at the junction just after the bridge, and thinking he`d flashed him pulled out.
gpick24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 01:09   #18

Years ago only a couple of months after passing my test I stupidly turned a corner after being flashed, straight into a ford fiesta that had appeared from nowhere, I got blamed. Not a good start to driving but was a valuable lesson.

I got flashed at today coming through Haslingden not sure why but just ignored it.
xavtia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 19:07   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
Quote:
You can check whether a car is insured for free here - http://ownvehicle.askmid.com/
You`re only supposed to use it to check your own car, but who`ll know.
First one on the street I picked isn't, mine is
First time I heard about AskMid - I checked to see if my car was on it, and it wasn't. I 'phoned my insurers and it got sorted in about a week. Just because a car isn't on the database, it doesn't mean it's uninsured.

It's only really used by the DVLA when you're trying to buy your road fund licence online, and by the police.

Quote:
A guy I used to work with told me he was driving along one gloomy day, went under a bridge. The combination of gloomy day and driving under the bridge turned on his automatic headlights. A car was waiting at the junction just after the bridge, and thinking he`d flashed him pulled out.
Yet another rreason to get rid of these cr*ppy driving aids like parking sensors and wipers that come on by themselves. They are removing the skill from driving, anyway, but when they are sending false messages it's time for them to go.

Studio25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 20:01   #20
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Studio25 View Post
First time I heard about AskMid - I checked to see if my car was on it, and it wasn't. I 'phoned my insurers and it got sorted in about a week. Just because a car isn't on the database, it doesn't mean it's uninsured.

It's only really used by the DVLA when you're trying to buy your road fund licence online, and by the police.
I agree about askmid, it`s there to check your own car, but if i`d been in an accident, especially if it looked like just a scam, i`d be having a look on there to see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Studio25 View Post
Yet another rreason to get rid of these cr*ppy driving aids like parking sensors and wipers that come on by themselves. They are removing the skill from driving, anyway, but when they are sending false messages it's time for them to go.
I don`t think you can blame the driver aids really. Could just as easily been the driver switching on the lights. Never had auto wipers or lights myself, but the reverse sensors on the van are very handy.
Old 05-10-2013, 14:34   #21
God Member

automatic lights arnt at fault your not supposed to take notice of flashing headlights its at yuor own risk if you do

easy solution if possible is to look for teh driver waving you on as well.Even a car going over a speed bump or pothole can appear that a driver is flashing their lights its not just automatic headlights you need to worry about.

if unsure stay put and do as the highway code says i guess lol
Studio25 likes this.

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 08:22   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by accyman View Post
...easy solution if possible is to look for teh driver waving you on as well...
I don't even trust that - mostly because they might be waving at someone else.

Mind you, I won't even cross the road if I don't know what a driver's intentions are: They don't seem to realise that on an overcast day, their windscreen is reflecting clouds and there is a good chance a pedestrian simply can't see into the car.

Old 06-10-2013, 13:01   #23
Senior Member+

I read you can now get cameras for your car that sit on the dash?
Does it not say something about our society that people have to take such measures?
And people say we are the most enlightened point in human history!
DAV007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 13:10   #24
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAV007 View Post
I read you can now get cameras for your car that sit on the dash?
Does it not say something about our society that people have to take such measures?
And people say we are the most enlightened point in human history!
Can also get phone apps the do the same thing. I have isymdvr, doesn`t half drain your battery though, but worth it if you can avoid things like this -
Old 06-10-2013, 13:16   #25
Senior Member+

do you plug it into your ciggy litter?
what is the product called?
how much?
link?
DAV007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 13:26   #26
Senior Member+

Quote:
how much?
link?
It`s a phone app, and yes i plug it into lighter socket, but still have to turn off lots of stuff otherwise the battery drains. Phone also gets quite hot.
iSymDVR - professional video recorder utility for iPhone
There is a free version of the app, but some of the settings can`t be altered.
Old 08-10-2013, 08:34   #27

Quote:
how much?
link?
Or if you are on Android, the free Dailyroads Voyager

Old 10-10-2013, 07:33   #28

i dont know how people can live with themselves when doing this to be honest. Perhaps my up bringing has something to do with that!
GJWatson is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..