Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By DtheP47
  • 1 Post By Neil
  • 2 Post By accyman

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-10-2013, 13:51   #1
I am Banned

England lags behind in young adult literacy tables

A major study by the Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD) shows how England's 16 to 24-year-olds are falling behind their Asian and European counterparts.
England is 22nd for literacy and 21st for numeracy out of 24 countries.

The "one size fits all" approach to education has produced the expected result. We were told that the brightest pupils would encourage the others to improve but the very opposite is true. Everyone is now reduced to the lowest common denominator. Only by removing from mainstream education those unruly, unwilling or incapable of learning will this decline be reversed.
Eric likes this.
DtheP47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 08-10-2013, 13:55   #2
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Re: England lags behind in young adult literacy tables

To be honest,that don't shock me at all, some of the spelling and choice of wording,yeh see online from many is abysmal. i am far from perfect, but Gordon Bennett some young uns. The real question to me is how have standards slipped so badly.
Old 08-10-2013, 17:16   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DtheP47 View Post
The "one size fits all" approach to education has produced the expected result. We were told that the brightest pupils would encourage the others to improve but the very opposite is true. Everyone is now reduced to the lowest common denominator. Only by removing from mainstream education those unruly, unwilling or incapable of learning will this decline be reversed.
Quite right and a deliberate policy of social engineering to keep the toffs in control, anyone who has made a success of their lives has done so in spite of the system not because of it but are so few that they are easily managed. We are made to believe that our education is good by the accumulation of nonsense qualifications in useless subjects but what's the use of an NVQ level 3 in picking your nose if you need to work out how may bricks are needed to build a wall and write the spec for it.
Unfortunately the whole system is now self perpetuating, the system is populated by people who will not appoint or promote anyone with a decent skill set, they know enough to realise they are at risk if they do, the toffs are well in control and despite spin to the contrary intend to keep it that way!.

Last edited by Neil; 10-10-2013 at 13:36.
umpire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 17:50   #4
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by umpire View Post
Quite right and a deliberate policy of social engineering to keep the toffs in control, anyone who has made a success of their lives has done so in spite of the system not because of it but are so few that they are easily managed. We are made to believe that our education is good by the accumulation of nonsense qualifications in useless subjects but what's the use of an NVQ level 3 in picking your nose if you need to work out how may bricks are needed to build a wall and write the spec for it.
Unfortunately the whole system is now self perpetuating, the system is populated by people who will not appoint or promote anyone with a decent skill set, they know enough to realise they are at risk if they do, the toffs are well in control and despite spin to the contrary intend to keep it that way!.
You really must learn how to use the Quote Facility.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 17:58   #5
God Member

im nut biying thus for a secund

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 06:08   #6
I am Banned

Quote:
Only by removing from mainstream education those unruly, unwilling or incapable of learning will this decline be reversed.
Well that been sorted up Willows Lane for the moment now.
Now all the other pupils can get on with their education without unecessary distraction and the young shavers are somebody elses problem.

Last edited by DtheP47; 09-10-2013 at 06:10.
Old 09-10-2013, 07:53   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
Have done but didn't need it all.
umpire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 09:06   #8
Full Member+

It doesn't help that the standard of teaching can be dubious. When my son was thirteen years old at secondary school, one of his teachers was discussing the first world war. She informed the class that the war ran from 1914 - 1916. My son, having a special interest in this subject put up his hand and begged to differ. She just dismissed his comment, and, being a quiet lad he gave up. I told him at the time he should have directed her to the war memorial for a quick refresher. He laughs about it now and says after that he just read his books and educated himself. Despite some crappy teaching, he gained As and B's in his GCSE's and went on to get his A levels too.
Old 09-10-2013, 11:15   #9
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by westendlass View Post
It doesn't help that the standard of teaching can be dubious.
A valid enough point as your example showed, but & there's always a but, this aspect isn't always held forth, it's easier to blame shiftless, disruptive yoofs than the staff room closed ranks lets keep it cushdy crowd.
Old 10-10-2013, 13:36   #10
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
I agree, save me doing it for him
Less likes this.
Old 10-10-2013, 13:49   #11
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by accyman View Post
im nut biying thus for a secund
Gedoutofit Accyman.... you a young adult
Not in a month of Sundays (whatever that means)
Old 10-10-2013, 16:25   #12
God Member

Quote:
Gedoutofit Accyman.... you a young adult
Not in a month of Sundays (whatever that means)
physicaly i have been and mentaly i have yet to reach that level
jaysay and DtheP47 like this.

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 17:24   #13
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by accyman View Post
physicaly i have been and mentaly i have yet to reach that level
Ya never know accyman miracles may come true,

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..