Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree5Likes
  • 3 Post By Guinness
  • 1 Post By Less
  • 1 Post By Less

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-03-2017, 21:01   #1

Texas Holdem Poker Champion!
Crocker...Who loves ya baby?

Council boss?s Blackburn to Accrington test trip just the ticket (From Lancashire Telegraph)

Talk about blinkered reporting...bigging up the good and downplaying the bad..

For my sins as a rovers fan I've been on the Blackburn to Accrington bus more times than I care to remember...long before this Kojak impersonator messed with this route..there was NEVER any problem on the road from Blackburn until you hit Church traffic lights...and guess what after spending an absolute mint of our money...this is still the same!

I also travel between Accrington and Whalley on a daily basis..and it really doesn't matter if it's off or on peak times...it's a nightmare!

If you are coming from Altham at the Hare and hounds lights, it is significantly more difficult to judge if traffic is turning or oncoming. Coming from Accrington the bottleneck at the Whinney Hill lights, especially around 4-5pm has also worsened, despite 'whizz bang' technology and throwing my money at it.

There was a time when I had a reasonably clear run to Whalley in the mornings and had a nightmare coming home once I hit Sparth House...now I have an even worse nightmare both ways..again despite 'whizz bang' technology and throwing my money at it..

Hey Kojak, your 'whizz bang' technology sucks!
Old 04-03-2017, 21:38   #2
Senior Member+

Re: Crocker...Who loves ya baby?

Friday before last it took 50 minutes to get from Milnshaw Lane to Sparth Rd. The main hold up was Clayton traffic lights - from Accrington turning left it is give way to traffic coming from Whalley direction turning right, so a lorry or 2 or 3 cars turning then blocks traffic going straight ahead from Accrington. So this causes frustration and increases air pollution
Last Friday I went from Accrington Tesco, to Intack, then on the Rishton road, up to Clayton lights, turned left to Sparth Rd (I could see in my mirror that traffic was backed up as far as I could see towards Dill Hall) - time was 22 mins, yes possibly more fuel but a hell of a lot less frustration.
Glad they haven't put the other bus lanes in yet as they will cause even more chaos and I haven't yet seen one using the bus lane coming up to Sparth House
Old 04-03-2017, 22:45   #3
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guinness View Post
Council boss?s Blackburn to Accrington test trip just the ticket (From Lancashire Telegraph)

Talk about blinkered reporting...bigging up the good and downplaying the bad..

For my sins as a rovers fan I've been on the Blackburn to Accrington bus more times than I care to remember...long before this Kojak impersonator messed with this route..there was NEVER any problem on the road from Blackburn until you hit Church traffic lights...and guess what after spending an absolute mint of our money...this is still the same!

I also travel between Accrington and Whalley on a daily basis..and it really doesn't matter if it's off or on peak times...it's a nightmare!

If you are coming from Altham at the Hare and hounds lights, it is significantly more difficult to judge if traffic is turning or oncoming. Coming from Accrington the bottleneck at the Whinney Hill lights, especially around 4-5pm has also worsened, despite 'whizz bang' technology and throwing my money at it.

There was a time when I had a reasonably clear run to Whalley in the mornings and had a nightmare coming home once I hit Sparth House...now I have an even worse nightmare both ways..again despite 'whizz bang' technology and throwing my money at it..

Hey Kojak, your 'whizz bang' technology sucks!
Ey up Guinness, a thowt you knew as them lot us dream these things up dorned live round here, they sit on their over paid backsides hiding under an over rated title, chucking white sticky dots at a street plan, oo goody we'll have a roundabout theer.
What we really need is the power to force all them crackpots int county clown hall, to ride them routes there so proud of, in an old horse-drawn wagonette wi broken springs. and feed the horses a bucket full o baked beans first.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 09:09   #4
Beacon of light

The other Thursday I had been up to see Ma and stayed there to do some stuff.
I got the bus in town and it took something like 20 minutes to get from the Greyhound pub to Sydney Street. I could almost have walked it from town in the time it took to get down that bit of road and this was at 1pm...so i am not sure there is any lull in the traffic anymore.
The traffic lights at the Hare and Hounds were only allowing three vehicles through from the Accrington side before they changed to allow the Burnley Rd traffic through, and far more vehicles were being allowed through from that side.
It creates a bottle neck and stops the free flow of traffic on a very busy stretch of road.

I have also noticed on our trips to Bury that the lights now situated on the Rising Bridge bit of the roundabout are having a similar effect...creating bottlenecks that did not seem to exist before the installation of the lights.

I thought roundabouts were more effective at ensuring the free flow of traffic and need no power to make them work...unlike traffic lights.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 09:15   #5
Beacon of light

Councillor Fillis mentions the Hare and Hounds bottle neck and he suggests that transponders to change the lights migh help...it won't make the buses leapfrog standing traffic will it?
The whole system was a gigantic waste of our money, but he has to justify the cost and this is just a bit of flummery that he thinks most of us will swallow whole. And how many passengers di he ask about the servces...maybe one or two.

Last edited by Margaret Pilkington; 05-03-2017 at 09:17.
Old 05-03-2017, 15:53   #6
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Let's be honest, we are a small town, we shouldn't really have anytime that causes disruption to traffic, take a look along Blackburn Rd though, when I'm out and about, some time around midday' I can walk into town quicker than the traffic most times. Not even peak times, no excuse to blame 'rush hour', our roads are always blocked.

Surely that suggests our centre and it's system isn't working?
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 15:59   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
Let's be honest, we are a small town, we shouldn't really have anytime that causes disruption to traffic, take a look along Blackburn Rd though, when I'm out and about, some time around midday' I can walk into town quicker than the traffic most times. Not even peak times, no excuse to blame 'rush hour', our roads are always blocked.

Surely that suggests our centre and it's system isn't working?
Ah, but hang about Less, Maybe the idea is not to let traffic pass quickly through our town?

Maybe the idea behind traffic disruption is to prevent folk from leaving? Then they'll spend something in the few shops that aren't empty?
Old 05-03-2017, 15:59   #8

Quote:
Ah, but hang about Less, Maybe the idea is not to let traffic pass quickly through our town?

Maybe the idea behind traffic disruption is to prevent folk from leaving? Then they'll spend something in the few shops that aren't empty?
Ah, yes, a nice idea, but where do they park?
Jim Procter likes this.
Old 05-03-2017, 16:01   #9

Quote:
Ah, yes, a nice idea, but where do they park?
Well, obviously they just abandon their cars on B'burn road like the locals!
Old 05-03-2017, 16:15   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
I thought roundabouts were more effective at ensuring the free flow of traffic and need no power to make them work...unlike traffic lights.
Well, they don't, but look at Church, all that money spent turning a bottle necked set of traffic lights into roundabouts and then, add pedestrian crossings with red lights at the exits to stop the traffic anyway.
Old 05-03-2017, 17:46   #11
Beacon of light

Quote:

Well, that is a heck of a lot better than this town square plan....and far less expensive.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..