Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 20-03-2006, 23:03   #61
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Re: Democracy or Dictatorship?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris
I'm not asking you your views on national issues as a prospective councillor, I'm asking you as a member of Accyweb and an ordinary rank-and-file member of the Labour party.
That is an unfair question to ask then. Anything and everything Gayle says on here could effect her chances of winning the election. I am glad to see she answered you very carefully.
Old 20-03-2006, 23:08   #62
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

I have just realised one good point about having a Labour Government and a Tory Council. We can always slag one or the other off when we all moan about what is wrong with the world.
I am personnally quite keen on the idea of proportional representation. So the whole country is controlled by the same political party. Yes I know there are problems with the idea but at least you know who is making the mistakes both locally and nationally.
Old 22-03-2006, 11:29   #63

Hi

As a number of posters said that not many people defend the Government I thought I'd have a go - especially as someone said I was too scared to!

The Legislative & Regulatory Reform Bill is intended to reduce burdensome regulations. We are not intending to abolish Magna Carta, habeus corpus, or usher in a dictatorship. In any event, this Bill is only part way through its parliamentary progress. I'm sure it will be improved by amendments from both the Government and the opposition.

Greg
Greg Pope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2006, 12:51   #64
Super Moderator

It's all very well saying you're not INTENDING to do those things but, as far as I understand it, the bill means that you (or any subsequent government) could do.

However, if my "wimp" remark has pushed you into making your first ever appearance on here, my work has not been in vain.

Hopefully, this will be the first of many posts defending and explaining your Government's actions.
Old 22-03-2006, 12:55   #65
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Pope
Hi

As a number of posters said that not many people defend the Government I thought I'd have a go - especially as someone said I was too scared to!

The Legislative & Regulatory Reform Bill is intended to reduce burdensome regulations. We are not intending to abolish Magna Carta, habeus corpus, or usher in a dictatorship. In any event, this Bill is only part way through its parliamentary progress. I'm sure it will be improved by amendments from both the Government and the opposition.

Greg
I agree. However, the main problem is that very little legislation that is increasingly applied originates in the Palace of Westminster; most of it comes from our chums in Brussels, in the form of the ominous sounding"Directive".

Still, I suppose with our rump parliament there is still a bit of work to be done. I have recently heard that it is possible for unelected individuals to influence the course of a bill through its parliamentary progress by sending off some dosh. Apparently, you eventually get it back (with interest) but you also get a nice red cloak, a bauble and a seat in the House of Lords, plus a few hundred quid a day in expenses just for turning up. You don't even have to do 'owt; just stay in the bar all day, if you want.

I do believe that the title of "Earl of Accrington" is available. Can you advise me how much this will cost, and whether I should send the cheque to Tony, Cherie or Gordon? I can't wait to meet up with you for a pint in Annie's bar (Although I don't expect her real ales to be anywhere near as good as Staggers's)

Cheers

T
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2006, 14:25   #66
Resting in peace

Councillor Pope once on this web took great pleasure in letting us know that he was classed as the 16th most left-wing person in the country, I think it was 16th, apologies if he is higher up the list. With avowed politics of that sort, I am afraid to say that I have no faith whatsoever in the idea that he and his ilk would not use such a legislative measure to further their political ends. Democracy and totalitarian politics don't mix.
pendy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2006, 14:39   #67
Give, give, give member

Nice to see our Labour MP, a Labour councillor, and a prospective Labour councillor, respond to questions posed on here.

It's more than any Conservative offical ever has, even though we know Peter Britcliffe reads it, because he's quoted comments from it in his smoking diary in the Observer.

We can live in hope that they will come out of the woodwork, and may even be brave enough to join, or even post.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2006, 14:50   #68
God Member

If PB cameout of the woodwork he would be scared of getting a virtual world spit roasting.

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2006, 15:22   #69

I've bad news for Tealeaf - you won't be able to get a pint of anything in Annie's Bar for much longer as I think it's scheduled for closure. You're welcome in the Commons other famous bar, the Strangers Bar though! And I don't think you've much chance of buying yourself the title Earl of Accrington after the news of the last few days. Seriously, I think all politicians and parties come out of this funding fiasco badly.

Pendy says that I claimed to be the 16th most left-wing person in the country - this is news to me! I'm not sure I'm the 16th most left-wing person on my corridor in the Commons (although it is a long corridor ).
Greg Pope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2006, 15:31   #70
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda
Nice to see our Labour MP, a Labour councillor, and a prospective Labour councillor, respond to questions posed on here.

It's more than any Conservative offical ever has, even though we know Peter Britcliffe reads it, because he's quoted comments from it in his smoking diary in the Observer.

We can live in hope that they will come out of the woodwork, and may even be brave enough to join, or even post.
Although the Labour MP and the prospective Labour councillor made contributions to the discussion, I didn't notice much intelligent comment from the Labour councillor. However, I agree that there has been a deafening silence from the Tories. I wonder why?
Old 22-03-2006, 15:36   #71
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris
Although the Labour MP and the prospective Labour councillor made contributions to the discussion, I didn't notice much intelligent comment from the Labour councillor. However, I agree that there has been a deafening silence from the Tories. I wonder why?
Although you asked for Labout party members to comment on national issues, we would also welcome offical Conservative members to comment on local issues implemented by our Conservative controlled council.

Come on, are you shy?

You know you really want to.

What are you afraid of?

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2006, 15:40   #72
God Member

Answer they are scared of WH.

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

Old 22-03-2006, 15:57   #73
Super Moderator

They would be if they could've seen me at 9.35 last night, swearing at ceefax!
Old 22-03-2006, 16:31   #74
God Member

You turned the air tory blue then.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

Old 22-03-2006, 18:33   #75
Super Moderator

Oh yes indeed...talking of Tories, where are they all? Tell us why wonder boy Cameron isn't grilling the Dear Leader about this new bill.

Oh well, I suppose I'll have to do it again...

WIMPS!

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..