Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 27-10-2005, 21:36   #1
Resting in Peace

Dinner or Tea

Have I given my young son a step up the ladder in over-education ? .. he now calls Tea ...'Dinner' for heavens sake !! Forgotten his roots already, has he ?! Any changes you have noticed in your children moving to Southern descriptions of everyday life ?
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 27-10-2005, 21:41   #2
Give, give, give member

Re: Dinner or Tea

Lol, good point Katex.

This good northern boy moved to London. In the high brow circles I mixed in, where I was seen as the token bit of rough, saying dinner was seen as very suburban, and people only had 'supper'.

Glad to say I'm back up North, and I have my tea every night.

They also used to laugh if I said I was going to the pictures instead of the 'cinema'.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2005, 21:45   #3
God Member

Mine pulls me up for it and she is here in Scotland its potatos not spuds, tea not a brew, pop is juice swede is large turnip. I blame here gran for it she is always trying to be "educated" in front of others (the mother in law) and my daughter picks up on it. We are who we are my accent hasnt change much in 15 years so I aint going to forget my roots now!!!

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2005, 21:51   #4
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex
Have I given my young son a step up the ladder in over-education ? .. he now calls Tea ...'Dinner' for heavens sake !! Forgotten his roots already, has he ?! Any changes you have noticed in your children moving to Southern descriptions of everyday life ?
my son lives in london has done for about 5 years now,he still knows when teatime is lol, don't think he'll ever forget his roots! certainly hope not
Old 27-10-2005, 21:53   #5
Passed away 25-11-09

It's a "funny" one, this. I have lunch at mid-day but I have tea at about 6 p.m. If I go out for a meal in the evening I have dinner but if I eat at home after about 8 p.m. it's supper. Oh well, breakfast is breakfast no matter what time, as long as it's before lunch.
Old 27-10-2005, 21:56   #6
Resting in Peace

Problem is, he lives in Manchester ! .. are we being invaded. ?
Old 27-10-2005, 21:56   #7
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by West Ender
Oh well, breakfast is breakfast no matter what time, as long as it's before lunch.
Unless it's the Sunday after an Accy Web meet, when you can try and kid yourself it's brunch.

Old 27-10-2005, 22:01   #8
Give, give, give member

I do hate all this U and non-U stuff. It doesn't really matter what we call things.

I do have to confess though that I always say napkin. I hate the word serviette.
It's just so chintzy, and makes me think of lace dolilles and fish knives.

Old 27-10-2005, 22:06   #9
Resting in Peace

I agree Garinda, just an observation.
As I sell table linen for local company, napkin is the correct word and used by 99% of our customers so no worries there then.
Old 27-10-2005, 22:19   #10
Passed away 25-11-09

I hate "serviette" too. I also hate "pardon" when someone has misheard and "toilet" instead of lavatory. Just me being quirky I suppose.
Old 28-10-2005, 07:05   #11
God Member

breakfast, dinner, then tea

The people I work with down in posh cheshire think my accent is ace. We also have discussion like 'to me its a current teacake and a teacake is plain, to them a teacake has currents and its a bread roll if plain'
entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2005, 07:33   #12
God Member

I thought they were napkins if they were cloth and serviettes if they were paper!

I use breakfast, lunch and tea to avoid the whole 'dinner' issue! lol

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2005, 07:35   #13
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by entwisi
breakfast, dinner, then tea

The people I work with down in posh cheshire think my accent is ace. We also have discussion like 'to me its a current teacake and a teacake is plain, to them a teacake has currents and its a bread roll if plain'
When I first worked down there I learnt the hard way - someone offered to get sandwiches at lunchtime and I asked for a ham teacake - ham with currants doesn't taste right! lol

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2005, 07:59   #14
mez
God Member

funny iv'e lived mostly up in accy ( born & bred here ) & ive just asked sarah out to lunch, but will have my tea later ?
Old 28-10-2005, 10:49   #15
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by West Ender
I hate "serviette" too. I also hate "pardon" when someone has misheard and "toilet" instead of lavatory. Just me being quirky I suppose.
"I do beg your pardon, please forgive me for interrupting but would you have a spare serviette? I wouldn't ask but the lavatory seems to have run out of toilet paper, I have tried a napkin but that just seems to get stuck in the bend, I only came into this cafe for some tea with my dinner but now seem to be stuck in the bog so I'll never get to drink my char or eat my meal!".
Less is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..