Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 29-09-2006, 15:37   #46
God Member

Re: DNA Sampling in Schools

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp

And perhaps the percentage of criminals would rise as more are convicted. It's like saying there isn't much crime because we don't catch many crimnals.
Yes, but wouldn't it look better on the Govenment if they could say that they were tackling the issue head on with a National DNA database, instead of hiding crime rates in fictitious statistics as they do now?

Last edited by Tinkerbelle; 29-09-2006 at 15:39.
Tinkerbelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 29-09-2006, 16:03   #47
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda
Dental records.

Medical records.

Bank account.

Credit card account.

Driving licence.

Store cards.

Passports.

Mobile phones.

CCTV.

We are already tracked nearly every minute of the day. I really don't see how having us all on a national data base for our DNA will make any difference to innocent people's lives, or infringe on our civil liberties.

If just one poor person is saved from being raped/murdered by some sick bastard, or one person with amnesia is reunited with a worried family, or one family is able to have a body to bury after some terrible terrorist attack...it is in my opinion worth it.
The majority of the things you have mentioned are optional though. You are talking about a mandatory DNA database.
Old 29-09-2006, 17:54   #48
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyfr
The majority of the things you have mentioned are optional though. You are talking about a mandatory DNA database.
Mandatory yes, but are you telling me you have none of the ways listed by which we are tracked?

Still waiting for a good example from one of you about how our civil liberties would be infringed?

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2006, 18:02   #49
God Member

I have medical records
Bank (building society) account
Mobile phone

Anyway.. it infringes them because I dont want to be forced to have my DNA on profile, or anything else they might want to put with it in the future.
Old 29-09-2006, 18:06   #50
Give, give, give member

Quote:
I have medical records
Bank (building society) account
Mobile phone

Anyway.. it infringes them because I dont want to be forced to have my DNA on profile, or anything else they might want to put with it in the future.
Thank you.

In my book not a very valid reason, because you don't want it, but thanks for trying.

Any other more illuminating reasons as to how civil liberties would be infringed by a national DNA database?

Old 29-09-2006, 18:07   #51
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda
Still waiting for a good example from one of you about how our civil liberties would be infringed?
Don't hold your breath matey, they can't think of any. They put their collective heads together and all they could make was a shed
Old 29-09-2006, 18:10   #52
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil
Don't hold your breath matey, they can't think of any. The put their collective heads together and all they could make was a shed
He doesn't like it. At least he's honest.

Jambutty has been deadly quiet as to the reason why civil liberties might be infringed.

If he doesn't answer soon I might be tempted to take a crafty DNA sample. I hope after all the mystery he isn't Jack the Ripper.

Old 29-09-2006, 18:10   #53
God Member

Oh and of course theres the fact that if there was a huge DNA database then people would start planting DNA and being even more clever, hence rendering the database pointless. Example:

Quote:
The value of DNA evidence has to be seen in light of recent cases where criminals planted fake DNA samples at crime scenes. In one case, a criminal even planted fake DNA evidence in his own body: Dr. John Schneeberger of Canada raped one of his sedated patients in 1992 and left semen on her underwear. Police drew Schneeberger's blood and compared its DNA against the crime scene semen DNA on three occasions, never showing a match. It turned out that he had surgically inserted a Penrose Drain into his arm and filled it with foreign blood and anticoagulants.
Once cases like that start happening, how can you use DNA as reliable evidence..
Old 29-09-2006, 18:12   #54
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Oh and of course theres the fact that if there was a huge DNA database then people would start planting DNA and being even more clever, hence rendering the database pointless. Example:

Once cases like that start happening, how can you use DNA as reliable evidence..
Any evidence could be fraudulent. Its up to a jury of twelve people to decide on the probability of someones guilt or innocence.

Old 29-09-2006, 18:14   #55
Give, give, give member

Quote:

....for the same reasons would you be against fingerprinting being used as evidence?

Old 29-09-2006, 18:16   #56
God Member

and hence I would be against a mandatory fingerprint database
Old 29-09-2006, 18:20   #57
God Member

Oh and the cloning thing... only the dna information is needed, why would the cells be needed? Only the nucleus contains dna.

Would you really want that possibility that a government or private company in the future could clone a person..
Old 29-09-2006, 18:30   #58
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Would you really want that possibility that a government or private company in the future could clone a person..
Wouldn't bother me in the slightest.

Infact I think you'd all be better off if you had more than one me.

Old 29-09-2006, 18:43   #59
God Member

Quote:
Oh and the cloning thing... only the dna information is needed, why would the cells be needed? Only the nucleus contains dna.

Because it could be classed as asexual reproduction. Its easier to copy the cell ameboa style than with just dna.

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2006, 18:55   #60
Resident Waffler

Hang on, we are talking about information, not little samples of DNA that the police can carry in their pockets and plop down at crime scenes to finger a suspect.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..