Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 27-09-2006, 15:47   #1
God Member

DNA Sampling in Schools

Today my daughter took part in a science exhibition in school. Part of the exhibition was a talk by the community beat manager PC Mick Walsh. He was showing the kids how DNA samples were taken and each child gave a sample. Now, PC Walsh said the samples would be thrown away afterwards BUT it got me thinking, it would be a good idea mass screening of the kids whilst in school in a similar sort of way and actually keep them on record. The crimes that could be solved in years to come would be phenomenal. Of course parents would have to consent but I can't see why any parents would object. What do you lot think?
Old 27-09-2006, 15:53   #2
Give, give, give member

Re: DNA Sampling in Schools

I've thought similar thoughts.

Why aren't babies DNA samples taken at birth?

Not much use now, but in future it would be a great help if there was a national data base with everyone on. It would give a much more accurate process than relying on dental records for certain cases.

Much more useful than bloody i-d cards.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2006, 15:54   #3
Resident Waffler

I can't immediately think of any reason to object.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2006, 15:57   #4
God Member

The only problem I can see is that it's to logical for our Government to carry out.
Old 27-09-2006, 16:03   #5
God Member

You can't see any reason to object??

How about our liberties. Whos to say some future government might use thgat database for its own needs. They could start compiling other information along with DNA. Do you really want some mass database that the government can use/sell to private companies?
Old 27-09-2006, 16:09   #6
Give, give, give member

In fact instead of wasting money on i-d cards that can be forged, I think it would be a good idea if mass screening was introduced now.

Just think of all the benefits if everyone was on a national data base, and everyone who entered the UK was too. Abandoned babies could be traced, rapists could be named and hopefully caught quicker, even paternity cases could be dealt with more quickly.

I don't think our civil rights would be infringed. The only people who would object would be the criminals and the heedless men who don't want to pay for thei own offspring.

Old 27-09-2006, 16:13   #7
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyfr

How about our liberties. Whos to say some future government might use thgat database for its own needs. They could start compiling other information along with DNA. Do you really want some mass database that the government can use/sell to private companies?
I can see an argument that i-d cards may infringe civil liberties, but who besides those with something to hide could possibily complain?

I bet the relatives of the victims of 9/11, many of who will never be identified, wished they had it, so they could at least put a few shards of bones in a grave they could visit.

Old 27-09-2006, 16:15   #8
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda
In fact instead of wasting money on i-d cards that can be forged, I think it would be a good idea if mass screening was introduced now.

Just think of all the benefits if everyone was on a national data base, and everyone who entered the UK was too. Abandoned babies could be traced, rapists could be named and hopefully caught quicker, even paternity cases could be dealt with more quickly.

I don't think our civil rights would be infringed. The only people who would object would be the criminals and the heedless men who don't want to pay for thei own offspring.

Here here!!!!!!!!!!! i totally agree
accymel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2006, 16:15   #9
God Member

Sorry Cyfr but I think the benefits of mass screening, for reasons such as the ones Rind has pointed out, far out-weigh any need to be protected from any under-handedness trick our Government might pull.
Old 27-09-2006, 16:18   #10
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyfr

Whos to say some future government might use thgat database for its own needs. They could start compiling other information along with DNA. Do you really want some mass database that the government can use/sell to private companies?
So you reckon the Conservatives will get in then do you?
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2006, 16:30   #11
God Member

They wouldnt do it because on the cost of making the profiles. Then as stated there are those that would shout about liberties. If all kids profiles being on file it would have the benifit not just of ID'ing a criminal, identify a remains as Rindy said and would save a lot of hassle in disputed paternaty cases. If they want a copy on file of my DNA they can have it and I do not object to ID cards either I have nothing to hide. Some may see it as BIG BROTHER but the positives do outweigh the negatives. Criminals would think twice if their DNA record was on file because at the end of the day it only takes a minor error on a criminals part to leave DNA behind.

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2006, 16:32   #12
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinkerbelle
Of course parents would have to consent but I can't see why any parents would object. What do you lot think?
Wouldn't the individual also have to give consent on reaching the age of 18? Back to sqaure 1.

The views expressed here are my own & are not necessarily those of the site.
AccyJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2006, 16:43   #13
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AccyJay
Wouldn't the individual also have to give consent on reaching the age of 18? Back to sqaure 1.
That's true, to legislate it would have to be compulsory without parental consent, best with Rinds idea do screen them as babies.
Old 27-09-2006, 17:10   #14
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

What fun you could have comparing babies DNA with daddies to see if mummy has been a naughty girl
Old 27-09-2006, 17:43   #15
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil
What fun you could have comparing babies DNA with daddies to see if mummy has been a naughty girl
Just because your little Emily is growing into a beautiful blond child, don't start blaming me.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..