Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 20-06-2007, 18:18   #1
Passed away 25-11-09

Angry Do NOT Go To Work On An Egg

So Nanny disapproves of the resurrection of an old advert for eggs, with Tony Hancock and Patricia Hayes. Nanny says too many eggs is a bad idea.

"It's not part of a balanced diet dear," says Nanny, "One egg good, two eggs bad, dear." Nanny consigns the eggs to the bin along with the full-cream milk, a nice fatty chop and a large glass of wine.

I remember the advert the first time round and I don't think it made people eat too many eggs, just appreciate the nutritional value - or have a laugh at Hancock.

So, sorry Nanny, I think you're a very silly old woman and..................OK Nanny, I'll go and stand in the corner.........
Accrington Web
Old 20-06-2007, 18:19   #2
Resident Waffler

Re: Do NOT Go To Work On An Egg

Do you remember "E for B and be your best" ?

Sometimes I don't have an egg for ages and then I'll have two at once. What a risky life I lead!

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2007, 18:28   #3
Senior Member+

I was really reckless the other day and had 2; poached,on toast ! Even better with marmite on the toast but has run out !
Old 20-06-2007, 18:44   #4
God Member

I eat about 7 or 8 a week - my blood pressure is normal (doc tested)
In winter I have Readybrek breakfasts but at other times a scrambled egg(sometimes with parmesan added) together with a slice of homemade wholemeal bread with real butter is a delicious brunch that keeps me going 'til an (early) teatime. I bake my own cookies (which is the 1 over the7)
I have seen that ad on tv today- hilarious - I dont remember seeing it at the time it was being used. Hancock -comic genius -tragically taken from us by depression.

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2007, 19:45   #5
God Member

Brunch does sound good ... trade you for some Bambiburgers.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2007, 19:48   #6

i love eggs mainley duck eggs got a new supplier now 50p for half dozen there great
Old 20-06-2007, 20:02   #7
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
Brunch does sound good ... trade you for some Bambiburgers.
Lovely ---I used to make them -I had an eccentric (mental health unstable) husband who would not eat meat other than wild meat. Three times a year I got a deer carcass delivered into the garage (head off and guts out), got a butcher to quarter it for me (for a small fee) so that the pieces were small enough for me to bone out in the kitchen, and pack for freezer. I minced the scrapings off the bones to make venison burgers - lovely with creamed mushroom sauce. I also needed an extra 10cuft freezer to stock up on wild fowl in season - mallard duck, pheasant and the occasional woodcock (hard to get). Quail I could get all year round.
I enjoyed the 'wild meat' too but it was hard work since I had a full time job besides.
The things I did for love !!! - learnt my lesson - won't slave over a hot stove for any man ever again

Old 20-06-2007, 20:53   #8

You are all makeing me hungry i am going to make an egg barmcake
mallard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2007, 23:44   #9
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

over the decades those "Who Know Best" have told us not to eat eggs,bacon,n allsorts of differant goodies we love, can i just say 1 sentance to Nanny? - GO SUCK AN EGG.
Old 21-06-2007, 11:57   #10
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Lovely ---I used to make them -I had an eccentric (mental health unstable) husband who would not eat meat other than wild meat. Three times a year I got a deer carcass delivered into the garage (head off and guts out), got a butcher to quarter it for me (for a small fee) so that the pieces were small enough for me to bone out in the kitchen, and pack for freezer. I minced the scrapings off the bones to make venison burgers - lovely with creamed mushroom sauce. I also needed an extra 10cuft freezer to stock up on wild fowl in season - mallard duck, pheasant and the occasional woodcock (hard to get). Quail I could get all year round.
I enjoyed the 'wild meat' too but it was hard work since I had a full time job besides.
The things I did for love !!! - learnt my lesson - won't slave over a hot stove for any man ever again
I didn't think it would be possible to get deer in England ... duck and pheasant perhaps ... but deer? Ah well, we live and learn. Locally, the deer population is on the increase; they are a pest and a danger to motorists at night. Especially in the mating season. Well if you only get it once a year, a car isn't going to stop you from .... well you get the picture. But I also have Elk and Moose in my freezer, courtesy of a friend in Tyendinaga Mohawk Territory. But for now, I think I may just have an egg for breakfast ... and take an extra lipitor.
Old 21-06-2007, 12:34   #11
God Member

Some deer are farmed - some are culled in the wild (still some wild places left in UK) In the last few years some OSTRICH farms have started. Their eggs arent available - too much of a gobful I would think

Old 21-06-2007, 12:44   #12
God Member

Quote:
Some deer are farmed - some are culled in the wild (still some wild places left in UK) In the last few years some OSTRICH farms have started. Their eggs arent available - too much of a gobful I would think
Deer farms ... neat. If there is ever a shortage we could ship a few thousand over there. A buddy of mine had to haul one out of his swimming pool the other day! They can be a pain in the butt. And I do realize that there are still wild places in England. Ossy is one of them. My gran was from Ossy, and she got really wild, especially when I ate her cheese ration in one mouthful!
Old 21-06-2007, 12:55   #13
God Member

The biggest wild place in Ossy is the moor leading to Haslingden (no deer there - too bleak and windy) - it is going to be a windfarm. The nearest wild deer are in the Trough of Bowland near Clitheroe.

Old 21-06-2007, 14:12   #14
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
The biggest wild place in Ossy is the moor leading to Haslingden (no deer there - too bleak and windy) - it is going to be a windfarm. The nearest wild deer are in the Trough of Bowland near Clitheroe.
got to disagree the wildest is/was the Bay Horse n Tinker n Budget. deer though was quite a few down the Dunkenhalgh a couple of years ago, probably still the case.
Old 21-06-2007, 14:25   #15
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
got to disagree the wildest is/was the Bay Horse n Tinker n Budget. deer though was quite a few down the Dunkenhalgh a couple of years ago, probably still the case.
I do believe I remember the Tinker n Budget ... I vaguely recall being tossed out of there ... and it wasn't for eating too many pickled eggs.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..