Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 30-11-2006, 15:53   #1
I am Banned

Do you believe in ghosts?

If yes or no say why and tell us about any experiences.
silvermain is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 30-11-2006, 16:12   #2
Passed away 25-11-09

Re: Do you believe in ghosts?

No I don't.............but...........

We were in Somerset and stopped to have a look inside a tiny, very old church out in the country. There was only one door and it was a huge oak one that creaked when opened and made a solid "thunk" when it closed. There was no one inside but my husband and me and no doors into any side rooms etc. but, after about 5 minutes, a realised there was an elderly lady standing beside me. She was quite ordinary looking, wearing a dress and cardigan and with glasses on. She pointed out the altar in the tiny Lady Chapel and told me how old it was. I asked if she lived nearby and she said, no, she didn't but her nephew was a church warden and she "came there sometimes".

A few minutes later I turned to say something to her and.........she wasn't there. There had been no sound of the door opening and closing. We went outside and looked around. The path to the church, from the small village, was quite long and there were only fields on either side of it. She would have had to run very fast to get to the road before we came out of the church door.

If she was a ghost she was a completely unscary one but we never could come up with an explanation.....................
Old 30-11-2006, 16:17   #3
God Member

I dont believe nor am I a disbeliever in the supernatural. There are many things in the world that cannot be explained by science or religion so its possible.

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2006, 16:25   #4
Member.

I do, I see Ghost’s has something different to Spirits, but more of that later. We do have a thread relating to this matter which when I can find it I’ll cut and past my ten pennies worth.

I do like a spooky bit at Christmas......

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2006, 16:30   #5
Resident Waffler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug View Post

I do like a spooky bit at Christmas......

There' no answer to that!

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2006, 17:04   #6
God Member

Maybe one day I will see one one and know for certain that I did and its not a drugs or drinks thing. Must admit that if I did see one I am going to be so shockedand stunned I would slide down the wall. Running wouldnt be an option as I cant run through walls or closed doors.

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

Old 30-11-2006, 17:22   #7
Senior Member+

Yes of course. I saw one only last week. In the pub I work in it was a man with dark hair and a long black coat. He walked from one side of the pub to the other. When I told the landlady she just said "oh you've seen it, good, because i see it all the time!!" And customers are always saying theres something round. Glasses are always flying off the shelves aswell.

My mum sees them a hell of a lot more than me. She sees one really regular at the end of our street a man & woman in Victorian dress. Only ever appears very late at night when its quiet.

You wanna ask AccyJay, what he could tell you would take pages!!! he can also sometimes come up with names, its quite freaky.

Last edited by Lolly; 30-11-2006 at 17:25.
Lolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2006, 17:29   #8
Give, give, give member

Don't believe in ghosts.

Evidence being I've never seen any, and I'm very nosey.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2006, 17:42   #9
Give, give, give member

Probably wrote it before, so sorry if I'm boring you.

I was on some drugs two years ago that gave me hallucinations. I mainly saw rats, or things running up the walls. However, whilst watching television one night there was an old man sat in the room with me, shouting wildly in tongues. I could still give a description of him for an identi-kit picture now. Fly away grey hair, black suit with dandruff, collarless shirt, boots.

It seemed so real, but knowing that it wasn't really there I closed my eyes and after five minutes or so the man disappeared.

At the time I was having weekly acupuncture sessions. The woman I went to asked how I'd been that week, and I told her about the hallucinations and the old man. It turned out that her Grandfather, an ex-landlord of the Tinker and Budget, used to live in my house. As a child she remembered him as someone who shouted a lot. Spooky.

She left me on the bed full of needles, and went off to find a photograph of her Grandfather. If she came back and it was the old man I'd seen, I would have believed in ghosts, and would have probably put my house up for sale right away.

Thankfully her Grandfather looked nothing like my shouty old git.

The mysteries of the mind....and mind altering drugs.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2006, 17:43   #10
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
Don't believe in ghosts.

Evidence being I've never seen any, and I'm very nosey.
Maybe you are not looking in the right place G. If you are then they must be hiding from you.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

Old 30-11-2006, 17:55   #11
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

not really sure on this one,but i dont discount the thing, i thought i saw one in my teens when staggering along hyndburn rd,worse for wear in the old graveyard across from the slaughterhouse about 2-00am one morning, next day i returned cos was working at ewbank at the time looked in the graveyard and my ghost was a gravestone which was broken and recently cemented which made it look much lighter, the cement.alcohol,the moonlight,and my imagination made me feel a right pilloc**, but nevertheless i have heard stories from some people who i know couldn,t lie if you paid em. so i have an open mind on this one.
Old 30-11-2006, 18:11   #12
Senior Member+

I have too many to list.

However, my strangest one was in the Regency one night about 11:30pm. I was just about to finish work for the night. Part of my duties was to check the pub to make sure nobody was still inside other than the staff. This particular night i locked the front doors, checked the fire escape then went to check the ladies toilets. I was just about to leave the ladies when the tap turned on. I know what your thinking, that maybe it was already on when i went in there & i hadn't noticed. However, the taps in the Regency are the type that you have to push down to operate.

I didn't really bother too much about it until the next day. When i went into work the manager told me that the alarm had gone off during the night. He explained that everything was fine, but, he was wondering why there was salt all over the pool table, & a smashed salt cellar in the corner of the room. I'm always the last person to leave the bar area & i can assure everybody that there was no sign of any salt or smashed glass when i left that night.

All the salt cellars were either on the tables at the other end of the pub, or, stored in a cupboard which is lower than the pool table.

I think Lolly was working in the Regency that night.

The views expressed here are my own & are not necessarily those of the site.

Last edited by AccyJay; 30-11-2006 at 18:15.
AccyJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2006, 18:15   #13
Senior Member+

I know a few people tats happened to cashman. But in graveyards its nearly always the drink, ghosts dont tend to haunt graveyards. The nothing (from their earthly lives) to keep them there. They tend to go back to old houses, work, pubs etc.. places they loved.
Old 30-11-2006, 18:18   #14
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by AccyJay View Post

I think Lolly was working in the Regency that night.

Yes i was working that night. It was really strange. Where the salt was round the pool table area if you were stood at the end of the bar you could always see shadows moving around. Its not a nice ghost in the Regency. As Jay will tell you, it used to follow Les (the ex landlord). Remember that night you just had to leave the pub Jay, and then when Les came into the Bees you felt the same horrible feeling again??
Old 30-11-2006, 18:21   #15
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lolly View Post
I know a few people tats happened to cashman. But in graveyards its nearly always the drink, ghosts dont tend to haunt graveyards. The nothing (from their earthly lives) to keep them there. They tend to go back to old houses, work, pubs etc.. places they loved.
You for got the people that they hated the most. In which case it should be the money grabbing taxman and the C of the E.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..