Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

View Poll Results: Do you shop in the market hall
yes 13 59.09%
no 5 22.73%
do not go in there anymore 4 18.18%
don't know 0 0%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-11-2011, 18:03   #31
God Member

re: Do you shop in Accrington Market Hall

I voted yes but if the poll is for market research it would have been better with options like often, sometimes or rarely. Mine would be rarely, I tend to use the outside market traders for most stuff I get 'on the market.
Old 10-11-2011, 18:03   #32
Filthy / Gorgeous

Bejeweled Blitz Champion!

I still shop on the Market and Market Hall at least once a week. I always get bacon from Lens, and generally get meat from Slacks Farm or Slingers. Fish always comes from Bramwells and most of the veg comes from the market too. I only get tins and packets from supermarkets if I can help it. I believe that the market is much better value than the supermarket. Meat and fish tastes nicer and the bacon is much better than the water and phosphate filled crap that you get in the supermarkets.

The views expressed here are my own and not necessarily those of my family, friends, employer, this site, my neighbours, hairdresser, dentist, GP, next door's dog or anyone else who knows me..
lettie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 18:04   #33
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
I'd like to know the long term success rates, for busineses who recieve start up grants.

We did. At the end of this month it will be 3 years. If we get to 4 years it's unlikely to be in Accrington
Old 10-11-2011, 18:04   #34
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

I use the Market hall, though far less than i used to do, go upstairs occasionally just to pick the boss up from the hairdressers, who she says is very good.
Old 10-11-2011, 18:08   #35
Senior Member+

Quote:
Though everything comes at a price.

It's 'free' to them, but costs the tax payers who fund it.

I'd like to know the long term success rates, for busineses who recieve start up grants.

The other year I mentioned I'd seen a local person on a website, being presented with a cheque, to start up a public relations company. When asked, a relatively short time later, it was apparently no longer trading, sadly.

First rule of business.

Offer people something they want, and if you offer it at a competitive price, you'll be a success.

That applies if you start with nowt, or are given a ten grand start up grant, and 'free' office space above a once thriving market hall.

the majority go on to be very successful businesses and as i believe it to be there is very little given away in the way of funding and virtually no grants, only loans. the only organisation to do so is the princes trust and to reach the stage of getting any funding you have to have a watertight business plan along with the accreditation of your business mentor and it financial projections are scrutinised by a panel of adjudicators before you even get your business loan which has to be repaid
jedimaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 18:08   #36

I have not been in since its refurbishment started. Which too say was rather ongoing, as it never closed during the work. (except for Wednesdays)

The photo's and the threads on here, show the massive sums of cash thrown at something nobody wanted, but was spent to get a " Excellent Council " plaque, posted on every entry to the borough.

Sorry but I shop elsewhere.
odders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 18:09   #37
Full Member+

Have voted 'Yes', but agree that the place has lost it's heart. Were it not for Len's and the very helpful Mannie, I doubt that I'd use the place - except to shelter from the rain.
Stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 18:11   #38
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancsdave View Post
We did. At the end of this month it will be 3 years. If we get to 4 years it's unlikely to be in Accrington
Good.

That's great, except the not in Accrington bit.

I didn't know.

I'm sure everyone would hope they do help, and aid long term success.

More power to you.

Still like to know though, what percentage are still grafting away, three, five years later.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 18:16   #39

Hardly ever go in anymore, its just not the same since the refurb. the flooring gives it a cold feel, just not a warm friendly feel to the place anymore.
wallop79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 18:19   #40
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedimaster View Post
the majority go on to be very successful businesses
That's great to hear.

Where is this information from, showing the 'majority' go on to be 'very successful businesses'?

It'd be interesting to know what percentage that majority is.

In case anyone's thinking of taking advantage of a start up grant, so they can weigh up the odds, before deciding it's worth the risk.

Old 10-11-2011, 18:20   #41
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallop79 View Post
Hardly ever go in anymore, its just not the same since the refurb. the flooring gives it a cold feel, just not a warm friendly feel to the place anymore.
I agree its lost its character, but being a creature of habit i still go in,though as i said its less n i used to do.
Old 10-11-2011, 18:27   #42
Give, give, give member

Quote:
That's great to hear.

Where is this information from, showing the 'majority' go on to be 'very successful businesses'?

It'd be interesting to know what percentage that majority is.

In case anyone's thinking of taking advantage of a start up grant, so they can weigh up the odds, before deciding it's worth the risk.
Not being mean, as it's been posted before, and the person concerned has already said this company was no longer trading.

Hyndburn Enterprise Trust - Means Better Business

How many new start-up businesses, who receive government money, are still trading after whatever number of years, and what percentage aren't. It would be interesting to know.

Last edited by garinda; 10-11-2011 at 18:29.
Old 10-11-2011, 18:29   #43
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
This has been known for quite some time.
I take wet wipes with me to use after visiting the toilet.......I usually use paper towels(these are far more hygienic)...or if there are no paper towels I usually have a paper napkin in my handbag.
'Twas ok when the curtain stall was there.Just no consideration nowadays.

Some people think I'm a bit of an animal, but I'm quite tender really
Benipete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 18:44   #44
Senior Member+

Quote:
Not being mean, as it's been posted before, and the person concerned has already said this company was no longer trading.

Hyndburn Enterprise Trust - Means Better Business

How many new start-up businesses, who receive government money, are still trading after whatever number of years, and what percentage aren't. It would be interesting to know.

i can only really comment on the princes trust enterprise programme as this is the only one i have had full dealings with. they do not give out grants but loans which have to be repaid (although i believe that this is the case for the other enterprise trusts as funding for grants has dried up)

statistics here: http://research.dwp.gov.uk/asd/asd5/184summ.pdf
jedimaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 18:48   #45
Senior Member+

I can remember before it was modernised you had to fight your way through the door (opposite wilkinsons) to get in. Now you could carry a plank sideways and not bother anyone.

davemac is offline   Reply With Quote

« Trolls. | 11.11.11 »

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..