Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

View Poll Results: Do you shop in the market hall
yes 13 59.09%
no 5 22.73%
do not go in there anymore 4 18.18%
don't know 0 0%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-11-2011, 19:04   #46
Give, give, give member

re: Do you shop in Accrington Market Hall

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedimaster View Post
i can only really comment on the princes trust enterprise programme as this is the only one i have had full dealings with. they do not give out grants but loans which have to be repaid (although i believe that this is the case for the other enterprise trusts as funding for grants has dried up)

statistics here: http://research.dwp.gov.uk/asd/asd5/184summ.pdf
I'm not really interested in charities, like the Prince's Trust. More grants from the government, local or national, that are funded by the tax payer, as in the case of Hyndburn Enterprise Trust.

Not trying to make any particular point, just interested in what suceess rate there is.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 10-11-2011, 19:30   #47
Senior Member+

re: Do you shop in Accrington Market Hall

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
I'm not really interested in charities, like the Prince's Trust. More grants from the government, local or national, that are funded by the tax payer, as in the case of Hyndburn Enterprise Trust.

Not trying to make any particular point, just interested in what suceess rate there is.

fraid i can't comment on that one as i've not had the dealings with them
jedimaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 11:40   #48
God Member

Re: Do you shop in Accrington Market Hall

Quote:
Originally Posted by davemac View Post
I can remember before it was modernised you had to fight your way through the door (opposite wilkinsons) to get in. Now you could carry a plank sideways and not bother anyone.

I really like the way the Market Hall has been rennovated - it is a truly lovely building and can now be seen to be so from the inside. Hate all the cheap stalls in the new outside market which crowd out the external view. I much preferred the old 60's outside market compared to what has taken it's place.

I agree though that there seemed to be a lot less people shopping there when I passed through recently.

I can't really vote on this pole but i did always used to visit the second hand book shop in the past to stock up, it seems to have gone though...

Peoples habits have changed and now shopping is a much less sociable activity -everyone is "too busy" and wants to get everything in one session at the supermarket. You can't beat fresh local produce though and i too remember when it used to be a hive of activity, shopping there as a girl with mum and always meeting up with my Grand-parents and others on Broadway every Saturday morning...

“Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness.”
~ D. H. Lawrence
mobertol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 17:44   #49
Full Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by davemac View Post
I can remember before it was modernised you had to fight your way through the door (opposite wilkinsons) to get in. Now you could carry a plank sideways and not bother anyone.

The late Eric Sykes and Tommy Cooper would have had no problem, then? (The Plank - a brilliant sketch made when comedians were funny and didn't resort to sexual innuendo or foul language).
Stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 17:47   #50
Give, give, give member

Highlight of the week, circa 1969.

If we pestered enough, and had been good.

Being allowed to ride the mechanical horse, in the corner of the bustling Market Hall, outside the cafe.

Innocent pleasures.

Even if I was in my early thirties, at the time.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 17:56   #51
God Member

Quote:

Being allowed to ride the mechanical horse, in the corner of the bustling Market Hall, outside the cafe.

Innocent pleasures.

Weren't you the lucky one - we got dragged round the outside market to chose the latest cloth for our new dresses, up to the wool shop so we could have matching cardis made and then Mum would spend ages trying things on in the Lucky Shoe shop....
We'd look at the sweet stall in the Market Hall as we passed by but that was a near as we got to some sweets. Never got to go on the mechanical horse there were always these two boys from Ossy monopolising it

“Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness.”
~ D. H. Lawrence
mobertol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 17:57   #52
Resting in Peace

Quote:

Innocent pleasures.

Good god you've aged well

« Trolls. | 11.11.11 »

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..