Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 23-11-2005, 18:21   #16
God Member

Re: Does Anybody Care About The Community Wardens?

No, and they weren't paid for out of Council tax to start with.

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 23-11-2005, 18:40   #17
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

They were funded from some Government regeneration scheme or something I think.

They should be at least part funded by the Police IMHO. After all some of there work helps the Police and reduces there work load.
Old 23-11-2005, 18:51   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPUGGIE J
Who are they? What are they? I am in limbo and desperate to know they score.
The wardens are people who are dressed in high vis clothes a bit like police, they patrol the streets, parks, open spaces, they go to meetings to do with the community, they can give out fixed penalty notices for all sorts of things like dog fouling, littering, they can ticket cars for not having car tax, they also have the power to confiscate alcohol and tobacco products, they look out for A.S.B.and juvenile nuisance, they are a link pin between the man on the street and the police and the council. I salute them all, well done, keep up the good work for as long as you can !!!!!!!
Winnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2005, 18:58   #19
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

Welcome to AccyWeb Winnie. Why not do and introduce yourself in the introduction bit of the forum
Old 23-11-2005, 22:25   #20
I am Banned

The Council was given £5.5m NRF [Neighbourhood Renewal Funding] funding from 2001-2006 to spend on improving services in the 4 worst wards in Hyndburn. Barnfield, Central, Church and Springhill.

Around £0.5m was allocated over the period for community wardens. After submitting new deprivation figures last year, Hyndburn will now no longer qualify for NRF funding which ran out in 2006. However Hyndburn will be given 'parachute payments' for 2 years till 2008.

The wardens have therefore been given notice.

The Labour Party argues it is a simple case of choices from within Council budgets. Reduce officers in several departments, primarily Area Councils and the Council will then be able to afford a warden scheme.

There is no magic money, nor will there be Council Tax rises from either party to pay for the wardens. Both political parties have said that openly. It is all now down to a choice of which do you prefer; Area Councils or Wardens across the Borough.

The Conservative's flagship is the Area Councils and so no Warden service. The Labour Party's flagship is the Warden Service with Area Council staffing cut right back to a minimum and failing Area Councils looked in to.

For clarity, the Labour Party proposal is 24 wardens across the whole borough, rather than 12 in the 4 wards. It is also to increase their role and powers in helping community groups, as well as more ticketing powers for dog fouling, fly tipping etc..

Last edited by Graham Jones; 23-11-2005 at 22:33.
Graham Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2005, 22:37   #21
Give, give, give member

From those figures it looks like the wardens were on a salary of around £10,400 per annum. How would the wardens be funded if we had them across the borough?

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2005, 22:45   #22
I am Banned

perhaps if the council chose what they spent money on a bit more carefuly we wouldnt be needing to discuss this

do we need to list all the things that have been done by HBC that have been a blatent waste of money that could have helped if not pay for the wardens

those who havnt had dealings with the wardens probably wont understand how invaluable they are but as a person who has had help and has friends who have been helped by the wardens i can say they do make a difference
chav1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2005, 23:07   #23
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnie
The wardens are people who are dressed in high vis clothes a bit like police, they patrol the streets, parks, open spaces, they go to meetings to do with the community, they can give out fixed penalty notices for all sorts of things like dog fouling, littering, they can ticket cars for not having car tax, they also have the power to confiscate alcohol and tobacco products, they look out for A.S.B.and juvenile nuisance, they are a link pin between the man on the street and the police and the council. I salute them all, well done, keep up the good work for as long as you can !!!!!!!
Cheers winnie now I know whats happening I can follow the thread.

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2005, 06:41   #24
God Member

<fx:Ian puts on gruf voice>

And now follows a party political broadcast by the Labour Party

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gayle
It would be a priority of the Labour party, if they were in control of the Council, to find funding for Community Wardens. They do an invaluable job.

It would also be their aim to extend the scheme to the whole of Hyndburn and not just little pockets of it.

</fx>

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2005, 12:22   #25
God Member

If the job they do is important and brings good results for the communities they serve then yes keep them and if possible bring in more. Community spirit is slacking so maybe this might restore some.

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

Old 24-11-2005, 13:45   #26

i feel the community wardens do an excellent job and it is a shame that they are being made redundant.It must be hard for them now having to work knowing they are out o a job in march!why has no 1 been bothered to look for funding earlier than now.Accrington is going to turn into a right mess and then the council will keep themselves!!!
wellbeing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2005, 15:09   #27
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wellbeing
i feel the community wardens do an excellent job and it is a shame that they are being made redundant.It must be hard for them now having to work knowing they are out o a job in march!why has no 1 been bothered to look for funding earlier than now.Accrington is going to turn into a right mess and then the council will keep themselves!!!
It dosnt need the council todo any more damage than they have already done. When all the good work the wardens is undone after their departure the councils shoulders will be slippier than graphite lube dust.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

Old 24-11-2005, 19:00   #28
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil
They should be at least part funded by the Police IMHO. After all some of there work helps the Police and reduces there work load.
A study of man hours and activities earlier this year showed there was a 5-10% overlap. However wardens are only in the 4 wards. What was found outside the 4 wards that Community Officers and PCSO's were doing a lot more Council work than that. Evironmental issues, community support issues.

There is no strong argument to say the Police should pay which does not come bouncing back. Further along that line of thinking, The Police have statutory duties and where their community and environmental issues are lower down the list of priorities, issues which however are important to residents and a clear case for the neccesity of wardens.

Environmental Services at HBC have legal powers the Police do not. Issues around penalty notices for flytipping, litter, dog fouling, dirty back yards, refuge out on the wrong day etc...

Its worth pointing out in determining priorities, the wardens are accountable through the ballot box the Police are not. In the future we should expect to see some devolved management to residents ie. hours worked / issues and areas the wardens should tackle.

Last edited by Graham Jones; 24-11-2005 at 19:06.
Graham Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2005, 19:50   #29
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham Jones
However wardens are only in the 4 wards.
Are you sure that the Wardens only work in those 4 wards?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham Jones
In the future we should expect to see some devolved management to residents ie. hours worked / issues and areas the wardens should tackle.
Devolution has already started in Hyndburn, I saw you at one of the Friends of Rhyddings Park meetings. I think you forgot to sign in.
Old 24-11-2005, 20:41   #30

i was speaking to the wardens about the 4 wards and they do also work in the parks over hyndburn they work in gt harwood ossy rishton peel area.but that is classed as overtime!!!i really respect the wardens for their effort!!!
wellbeing is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..