Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-12-2004, 12:15   #1

Thumbs up Donations

I have noticed at the bottom of the pages there is a donation symbol. I think the Accy Web is brilliant and i am supposing it wont be cheap to run. Why can't it be sorted to have a Accy Web Club meeting say the last Saturday of the month where there could be a admission of one pound fifty or whatever, i am willing to do the disco karaoke for nothing to generate some funds i am also willing to put a quiz night together, play stand up bingo, play your cards right etc. In the past projects i have been involved in some of the lady members made cakes for a cake stall that always went well they always sold out. I can sort a room out for this please let me Know Your views on this. thanx
bobthedj is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 03-12-2004, 12:38   #2
Senior Member+

Re: Donations

I think its a good idea, and very kind of you to offer your services.
MUMMIBOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2004, 14:45   #3
Senior Member+

Any plans to hold any of them down south?!
vorlon24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2004, 15:22   #4

thats a great idea!
princesshales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2004, 21:24   #5
Accy Goddess

Thats a good idea Bob.
It's kind of you to offer your services for the good of the site.
ANNE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2004, 06:47   #6

If you shout(pay. edited at last moment) my air fare, I'll pay double the entrance fee to help out
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2004, 23:02   #7
Always EVIL within us

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry
If you shout(pay. edited at last moment) my air fare, I'll pay double the entrance fee to help out
Thats the only problem with your suggestion Bob, many of our members live abroad or in different corners of the UK. The donation system allows them to donate and feel that they have equally contributed to this brilliant site but fund raising locally only would in effect put in place a class system with locals V others that can't donate.

I think your ideas are great and if you are willing, how about running them alongside the "donate" button. Both I and Willow would love to attend a quiz night or maybe you could work with Roy or one of the moderators to start a new thread with quizzes paying out real cash and to enter the quiz, pay by paypal? That would take some organising but would be great fun........and would be worldwide.
Old 05-12-2004, 23:15   #8
Always EVIL within us

Talking Re: Donations

Lets try it on a small scale........

Answer these three questions correctly to win 40 in virtual money (should our money be called Ackers?)

OK, For 40 Ackers:

1) What is Cliff Richards real name?
2) What does a cow drink?
3) What is the odd one out? REM, ROM, RAM.

I can't offer more than 40 Ackers as I am saving up
Old 06-12-2004, 03:02   #9
Senior Member+

cliff thornburn? cliff seagul?

water

rem
Old 06-12-2004, 07:20   #10
Resident Waffler

Harry Webb
water
REM

(but it's not a fix honest!)

I'm a mine of useless information. This Saturday I won a fun trivia quiz but the prize was a box (circular packet - can I call that a box?) of sweets which hasn't done much for all my good intentions about not eating too much junk.

BTW - Busman and I have been referring to the AccyWeb virtual money as "Ackers" in case you wonder what he's talking about there.

I like the idea of having a quiz on here but to organise it properly can be a real headache. I did one once on another board - all answers had to be submitted by PM so that other people did not see them. One submission per member and to be in by a certain date. Then all answers had to be marked and if more than one person got them all correct then there had to be a tie breaker. It was hard work organising it but a lot of fun too.

Before AccyWeb my main online interests were quizzes. I used to do a lot of the live ones on AOL but far too many people only want modern music these days and it gets a bit boring.

Having local meetings which you pay to go to has two disadvantages - one being the fact that people who don't live locally couldn't get to them (also people who are working funny hours can't go) and to have to pay to go to an AccyWeb meeting just seems a bit odd when they have previously been free and would it maybe even put some new people off coming?

You could incorporate the fund raising quiz idea into an AccyWeb night though by having the meeting free but people pay to enter the quiz.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2004, 08:51   #11
Always EVIL within us

I just knew you would jump in...just to get my Ackers Willow Well done and money on its way...

Mani, you are not a Cliff Richard fan obviously, You must have a good taste in music
Old 06-12-2004, 13:17   #12
Resident Waffler

I'm not a Cliff Richard fan either but you can't have any connection with Springhill School and not be aware of Cliff Richard.

I think Mani deserved a few Ackers there because he got 2 out of 3.

Old 06-12-2004, 14:04   #13
Senior Member+

As soon as I saw all those questions I knew all the answers.

But I've been to an appointment this morning, so couldn't get to them in time

Perhaps next time!
vorlon24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2004, 14:40   #14
Resident Waffler

This thread is definitely wandering.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..