Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 23-07-2007, 17:13   #1
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Don't You Wish You Could Help?

We seem to be lucky, yes we've had a fair bit of rain it's been a miserable time all around but compared to most of the country we have been very lucky.

Tradition has the North/South divide, Lancashire versus Yorkshire but I'm sure that most of you like me wish that rather than watching the devastation going on around our country there was something we could do to help them, as it is, just like the unfortunate people that are suffering at the moment, there doesn't seem to be any form of help we can offer, I wish there was, they don't deserve to go through this without knowing that our thoughts are with them.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 23-07-2007, 17:18   #2
Beacon of light

Re: Don't You Wish You Could Help?

You are so right Less.......I look at those flooded homes and can feel only 1% of what the owners are feeling.....to have your family home devastated in such a way must be heartbreaking.
Yes. I do wish there was something practical I could do.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2007, 17:39   #3
Resident Waffler

I know just what you mean Less. I can't begin to imagine how awful it must be.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2007, 17:47   #4
God Member

According to todays news.. 150 people died in the floods in china this week.
Old 23-07-2007, 17:50   #5
God Member

Its a tragedy and its devastating to those who suffer from it. The thing being what help could we give?

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2007, 18:01   #6
Resting in Peace

Do you just mean us lot on Accyweb Less or the British people in general ?

Of course our thoughts are with those who have had their homes devasted by these floods, who wouldn't be ? (some things go without saying) Nevertheless, ' tis still good to actually say it on a forum, but I have lots of faith in our countrymen and sure they have had lots of well-wishes from all over the country. Still think we are good at rallying round to 'our folks' in times of trouble, you only have to look at the people who are lucky enough to be able to help in a practical way. Hope our second best helps.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2007, 18:06   #7
Give, give, give member

Watching the devastation, and how people are trying to cope with the flooding, is very sad. However, talking about a north/south divide, I do think the problems in the south are receiving a much fuller media coverage than the recent floods in Yorkshire and Humberside had.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2007, 18:08   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPUGGIE J View Post
Its a tragedy and its devastating to those who suffer from it. The thing being what help could we give?
Well, when we had the Thatcher government and a firemans strike the troops were deployed with the green goddesses, at the moment we can't use the troops they are deployed elsewhere but folks like myself could be used to drive those vehicles they would have pumps that could be of assistance somewhere, put a few teams together of people on these vehicles under the supervision of trained firefighters and maybe we could make a difference?
Old 23-07-2007, 18:19   #9
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
Well, when we had the Thatcher government and a firemans strike the troops were deployed with the green goddesses, at the moment we can't use the troops they are deployed elsewhere but folks like myself could be used to drive those vehicles they would have pumps that could be of assistance somewhere, put a few teams together of people on these vehicles under the supervision of trained firefighters and maybe we could make a difference?
The Green Goddess vehicles have been taken out of service and sold off.
It is ironic that these vehicles were stored at Central Vehicle Depot at Ashchurch nr Tewkesbury which is under 3 - 8 ft of water.

Blackburn Rovers Supporter Since 1950

Last edited by Royboy39; 23-07-2007 at 18:23.
Royboy39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2007, 18:21   #10

it is very ironic! worst in 60years. get the supermarkets up here to send down fresh water and let the goverment pay for it.
mrjdallen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2007, 18:22   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royboy39 View Post
The Green Goddess vehicle have been taken out of service and sold off.
It is ironic that these vehicles were stored at Central Vehicle Depot at Ashchurch nr Tewkesbury which is under 3 - 8 ft of water.
Oops! talk about forward planning? Note to Government don't build storage depots on flood plains!
Old 23-07-2007, 18:33   #12
Resident Waffler

Perhaps these recent events will serve to show that we need to have reserve fire appliances etc, not reduce the numbers.

Old 23-07-2007, 18:34   #13

Know what you mean Less, wish there was more we could do then send our thoughts to them. Must be absolutely awful for them been flooded but with no fresh water and now quite a lot without power. Lke mrjdallen says the supermarkets should be sending fresh water down to them. Have heard that Morrison's are sending fresh water to the hospitals down there. (Brilliant gesture) But they will all soon need food, clothes, furniture etc as well as water, i feel so sorry for them. If this had been in another country there would have been a bank account set up to receive donations.

Sara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2007, 18:38   #14
Resident Waffler

Some friends of ours were coming back from holiday with their caravan when they got stranded in a flood related traffic jam. They were able to let some desperate fellow strandees have use of their caravan loo. A small gesture but one I'm sure that people were very grateful for. Sometimes it seems we can only do a small thing but sometimes that small thing may be a big thing to the person involved. They were also able to help out a young mother who had a hungry baby and had run out of baby milk whilst being stuck there for hours.

Old 23-07-2007, 18:48   #15
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
Watching the devastation, and how people are trying to cope with the flooding, is very sad. However, talking about a north/south divide, I do think the problems in the south are receiving a much fuller media coverage than the recent floods in Yorkshire and Humberside had.
Do you think the 'lesser' media coverage made any difference to the actual help Yorkshire and Humberside received though Garinda ?
katex is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..