Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-07-2007, 19:08   #1
God Member

My Summer course

Its been pretty good so far, the people are nice and I have been cooking decent food for myself (no noodles!) and I've made some great friends already. The works a bit taxing though as its really intense study, and actually piled on more than it will be when I start my degree in september!

So far I've cooked macaroni cheese bake and shepherds pie, both from scratch, though I was very tired today and have a huge pile of work to do so I got a takeaway. Only just really got time to get onto the internet and say hello to people and I thought I should show my face and let you know I wasn't hiding in the shadows!

Hope everyones ok and being typical accywebbers
blazey is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 12-07-2007, 19:18   #2
Senior Member+

Re: My Summer course

Make sure you bring back a doggy bag.
Old 12-07-2007, 19:25   #3
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Monkey View Post
Make sure you bring back a doggy bag.
No you can make your own I'm now the 'proper cook' on floor B lol. We all cook for ourselves though so its not too difficult, I eat my shepherds pie and they eat their asda noodles
Old 12-07-2007, 21:39   #4
God Member

What are you up to Blazey? Can you not make a batch and freeze portions?
Old 12-07-2007, 22:03   #5
Resting in Peace

Keep 'em coming Blazey, always good to hear reports on the spot rather than after.. no pressure like. Let us know where you are and what sort of course, etc., you part of the family now. x
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 22:36   #6
Resident Waffler

What's the course like Blazey?

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 22:37   #7
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

good to hear youve settled in a bit, hope all goes well, if yer owt like me lad you'll make some good friends for life.
Old 12-07-2007, 22:45   #8
Resident Waffler

Psst, Cashy. She's a girl.

Old 12-07-2007, 23:07   #9
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp View Post
Psst, Cashy. She's a girl.
i know willow does it read like that?
Old 12-07-2007, 23:09   #10
Resident Waffler

Oh .... gotcha now. You meant if she is owt like your lad! yes?

I thought you were saying "If you are owt like me." and calling her 'lad'!

Old 13-07-2007, 08:51   #11

were was the course and what did it actually involve and the cost - sorry for all the questions
mrjdallen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2007, 14:36   #12
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp View Post
Oh .... gotcha now. You meant if she is owt like your lad! yes?

I thought you were saying "If you are owt like me." and calling her 'lad'!
ya got it, its my broken english,
Old 14-07-2007, 09:44   #13
God Member

Its a summer course where you do two intense weeks of study and time management skills, presentation skills and life skills and then 2 weeks of chosen subjects, mine being law and criminology.

Living on campus and its all absolutely free apart from your own food and social expenses.
I saved up £200 for the month but I have spent about a tenner of that this week so I'm going to go to town soon to get some extra bits.

I havent needed to freeze anything ive cooked yet as I havent wasted any food, as the portions i'm cooking are enough for two, so i've been having one at night and one for dinner the next day. I've been eating well but as usual not sleeping well as I'm a bit of an insomniac, so i've been up til, on average, 4am sat around doing nothing productive or chatting to individual people who i've kept up all night not that they seem to mind though.

They didn't lie when they said the work was intense, in 4 days i've done a big essay and a group presentation, and they want to see all the planning, and I have an essay to do for tuesday morning and 2 presentations to do for the end of the week (1 5minute one on thursday and a 10minute for friday)

The presentations are my weakness as I'm a nervous speaker but its all productive and I am glad I went on the course. Looking forward to going back and seeing everyone again already

EDIT: The course is free because its for people who fit into certain criteria. Off the top of my head they are if your the first in your family to go to uni, illness had interupted our studies at college, if you have low income in your family, if you recieved financial help at college, that kind of thing.

Last edited by blazey; 14-07-2007 at 09:48.
Old 14-07-2007, 10:20   #14
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazey View Post
Its a summer course where you do two intense weeks of study and time management skills, presentation skills and life skills and then 2 weeks of chosen subjects, mine being law and criminology.

Living on campus and its all absolutely free apart from your own food and social expenses.
I saved up £200 for the month but I have spent about a tenner of that this week so I'm going to go to town soon to get some extra bits.

I havent needed to freeze anything ive cooked yet as I havent wasted any food, as the portions i'm cooking are enough for two, so i've been having one at night and one for dinner the next day. I've been eating well but as usual not sleeping well as I'm a bit of an insomniac, so i've been up til, on average, 4am sat around doing nothing productive or chatting to individual people who i've kept up all night not that they seem to mind though.

They didn't lie when they said the work was intense, in 4 days i've done a big essay and a group presentation, and they want to see all the planning, and I have an essay to do for tuesday morning and 2 presentations to do for the end of the week (1 5minute one on thursday and a 10minute for friday)

The presentations are my weakness as I'm a nervous speaker but its all productive and I am glad I went on the course. Looking forward to going back and seeing everyone again already

EDIT: The course is free because its for people who fit into certain criteria. Off the top of my head they are if your the first in your family to go to uni, illness had interupted our studies at college, if you have low income in your family, if you recieved financial help at college, that kind of thing.

and then another essay on here!!

Little tip for presentations. Speak so it feels like you are talking slower than normal as when nervous you actually talk naturally quicker and then start getting words mixed up

good luck

I know this may come as a shock but believe it or not all views I may air on here are my own work!!!!!
harwood red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2007, 12:22   #15
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by harwood red View Post
and then another essay on here!!

Little tip for presentations. Speak so it feels like you are talking slower than normal as when nervous you actually talk naturally quicker and then start getting words mixed up

good luck
Yeah I already knew that, the problem is that I shake alot, nothing else, though sometimes I get the feeling I'm shouting...

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..