Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 31-07-2013, 16:49   #1
Junior Member+

Earning more benefits?

Hello to everyone. This is my first post but i've spent a few months reading the forum so hopefully ill cause not too much trouble.

I've found it really hard to cope with the fact that some of my co workers are earning more than my wage every month in benefits. No one wants an injury or anything like that, but do you think its right when someone who is doing the same job as you and is not in a wheel chair etc is earning more than you?.

I think its caused resentment in the work place and the failure of many friendships across the country. I know some people need extra help etc but if you work and do the same job as an able bodied person, when should the help stop. I arrive at work on the bus, they arrive in a brand new Mobility car, yet they on there feet all day just like me. Strange situation i know as every case needs to be judge on its own merits, but in general do you think its right.

Honestly i am asking as i want to know weather its just me being blinkered or other people feel the same.
Loki2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 31-07-2013, 17:49   #2
Senior Member+

Re: Earning more benefits?

I`m not 100% sure what you are getting at. Are you suggesting this colleague is on the fiddle, claiming disability when there is nothing wrong with them because they are working. Or they are disabled but because they are going out to work they should have their disability allowance reduced.
gpick24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2013, 18:38   #3
Junior Member+

For the sake of fairness i would have to say that i think if your working you should have your benefits reduced. He could be on the fiddle, but thats whole new topic
Old 31-07-2013, 18:39   #4
God Member

some people are entitled to 'in work' benefits, the person in question may have a disabled child/partner or relative, don't jump to the wrong conclusions

the person may have a lifetime disability, maybe one that they don't want to/shouldn't need to discuss

stop judging people without the facts, it isn't becoming
jaysay, magpie, BERNADETTE and 2 others like this.

Last edited by flashy; 31-07-2013 at 18:44. Reason: because i can
flashy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2013, 18:55   #5
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki2013 View Post
For the sake of fairness i would have to say that i think if your working you should have your benefits reduced. He could be on the fiddle, but thats whole new topic
Then I would have to disagree, he gets disability benefit to help cope with his disability, just because he goes out to work doesn`t make his disability go away, just that he isn`t letting his disability stop him from working.
flashy, jaysay, BERNADETTE and 2 others like this.
Old 31-07-2013, 19:04   #6
Junior Member+

Your right, to jump to conclusions is not becoming, but there are occasions when the system is abused and thats what i feel its frustrating. My dad is disabled and you can't tell, so i am no stranger to things like that. But its just plain annoying when you feel that someone is taking advantage, its reverse racism in a form. But i would like to make it clear than i do not mean to jump to conclusions. We all know someone disabled i would think, but its the few causing the problems.
Old 31-07-2013, 19:22   #7
Senior Member+

The ones on the fiddle are the problem, mentioned my brother in law in another thread, so won`t go into that again, from what you`ve said, your colleague is just trying to live as normal a life as he can. Would you do a swap if you could, a bit of exrta brass, but have to live with a disability, or no disability but have to make do with a bit less.
Old 31-07-2013, 20:49   #8
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki2013 View Post

if they are working full time they have no benefits to be reduced

they do however get a mobility payment from a charity organisation which can be used to get a car and i guarentee you they would much rather not have what is wrong or has been wrong with them and get to work the same way you do

if you want a motabilty car so desperatly or are jelous simply smash your spine or kneecaps inbetween something really hard and reap the joys of needing a motability car

is it fair you ask...?

pretty sure if you qualified for a motability car you would be down the car showroom in a flash
jaysay, Stevie R and gpick24 like this.

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2013, 21:04   #9
Senior Member+

I find it a bit sad that things like this can cause resentment. Reminds me of when my dad was ill, couldn`t eat or drink, had to be fed through a tube directly into his stomach, the "food" was a special kind, a bit like baby food and he got it on prescription. When a "friend" came round and got all the info about his prescription food and that he didn`t have to pay for his prescription, they said to my mum "you must be raking it in", and stormed out.
Old 31-07-2013, 22:33   #10
God Member

not so many complaints when people got the old spaz chariots - OOPs That was a little un-pc

but its what they were known as before everyone got sensitive
Attached Images
File Type: jpg chariot.jpg (24.2 KB, 12 views)

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

Old 01-08-2013, 06:32   #11
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

OBJECTION accyman, I aint sensitive.
Old 01-08-2013, 07:30   #12
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by accyman View Post
not so many complaints when people got the old spaz chariots - OOPs That was a little un-pc

I heard that when the "spaz chariots" as you call them were stripped down to their chassis they made good go karts as the chassis was solid.
maxthecollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 10:13   #13
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxthecollie View Post
I heard that when the "spaz chariots" as you call them were stripped down to their chassis they made good go karts as the chassis was solid.

there wer elike a robin reliantthat had teh decency to only allow one person to humiliate themselves buy only having 1 seat

my mums fella had a 3 wheeler reliant and after 1 trip in it ducking down so my mates couldnt see me and a few potholes later i decided to never get in it again lol

Old 01-08-2013, 11:32   #14
Full Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by accyman View Post

Is that a convertible S. C. I see before me.? Lol, haven't seen one of those in years. Always duck egg Blue. An old fella who lived near us in the 70's used to have one and whenever there was a power cut he used to find it in different locations in the morning. The local teenagers used to lift it up. Shocking behaviour!!!!
Old 01-08-2013, 11:52   #15
God Member

used to be one that pottered up whalley road regualrly.We used to walk alongside teh lady talking to her and occasionally gave her a push to speed things up for her as the damn thing sounded like it was been murdered trying to get up whalley road lol

one guy i know of got his taken from him as he kept upgrading the engine in his and having accidents lol

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..