Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-11-2010, 18:29   #1
Resting in Peace

Election declared void

BBC News - Shadow minister Woolas vows to fight election decision

The result of the general election result in Oldham East has been declared null and void. Shadow Immigration minister, Phil Woolas, has been barred from Parliament for three years. It seems he will ask for a judicial review of the case
Old 05-11-2010, 18:44   #2
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Re: Election declared void

Yes, I know, I listen to the news.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 18:45   #3
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

think if folk dug around there wouldn't be that many M.P.s wi seats from any party. unless one was dumb enough to think there own lot don't tell porkies.
Old 05-11-2010, 19:48   #4
Super Moderator

Now, come on, lads. Let Jay have his moment of glory. He's got a Labour MP (or -ex MP) banged to rights and he didn't even have to go to the Daily Mail site to do it!
Old 05-11-2010, 21:17   #5
God Member

I don'r think this is 'owt to gloat about; this judgement has come on the same day as that of Capt'n Hook's right to hold a British passport. It makes you wonder just exactly what can be said about opposing candidates holding extreme views and what cannot be said in an election. I do know that with this court case pending, the candidates in the LBTH mayoral elections had to keep their gobs shut about the eventual winner, an out and out islamic extremist
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 21:34   #6
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
think if folk dug around there wouldn't be that many M.P.s wi seats from any party. unless one was dumb enough to think there own lot don't tell porkies.
Of course.. it's made even more ridiculous by the Lib-Dems who brought this "lying" case to court..talk about bare faced cheek!
Anyone with any noggin knows that this sort thing has been going on since the first ever elections began..Tory/Labour/Lib-Dems or whoever.
Mancie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 21:45   #7
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mancie View Post
Of course.. it's made even more ridiculous by the Lib-Dems who brought this "lying" case to court..talk about bare faced cheek!
Anyone with any noggin knows that this sort thing has been going on since the first ever elections began..Tory/Labour/Lib-Dems or whoever.
And in their Election Promises the Lib-Dumbs told the truth,the whole truth n nothing but the truth.
Old 05-11-2010, 22:17   #8
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Made me laugh, seeing your old Lib Dem mate, Simon Hughes, on the news.

Banging on about what a disgrace the man was as a parliamentarian.

Hang on.

Isn't that the same Simon Hughes M.P., who in 1983 arguably fought one of the dirtiest smear campaigns ever in a by-election, in the whole of our poltical history? Who used every homophobic smear he could lay his hands on, to attack Peter Thatchell, and win, what had until then been the safe Labour seat of Bermondsey?

Yes that's the nice little Christian politican, who years later did issue an apology...just before it came out that he too preferred his gentlemen callers round the back.

Hypocrite.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 22:29   #9
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post

Hang on.

Isn't that the same Simon Hughes M.P., who in 1983 arguably fought one of the dirtiest smear campaigns ever in a by-election, in the whole of our poltical history? Who used every homophobic smear he could lay his hands on, to attack Peter Thatchell, and win, what had until then been the safe Labour seat of Bermondsey?

Yes that's the nice little Christian politican, who years later did issue an apology...just before it came out that he too preferred his gentlemen callers round the back.

Hypocrite.
I didn't mention Simon Hughes........... cos it had slipped me mind.
Old 05-11-2010, 22:33   #10
God Member

Quote:

Hang on.

Hypocrite.
Yes the very same Simon.. maybe now he's coming to terms with his, or his parties treachery..maybe.. but it's to late and I doubt he will even stand as a candidate in 2015.. looks like the house of lords for him.
PS a good example!

Last edited by Mancie; 05-11-2010 at 22:37. Reason: It's true
Old 05-11-2010, 22:46   #11
Resting in Peace

Quote:

Hang on.

Hypocrite.
In all fairness he did say that he was prepared to bend over forwards to accommodate a friend in need.

Some people think I'm a bit of an animal, but I'm quite tender really
Benipete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 22:46   #12
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Yes the very same Simon.. maybe now he's coming to terms with his, or his parties treachery..maybe.. but it's to late and I doubt he will even stand as a candidate in 2015.. looks like the house of lords for him.
PS a good example!
Give him my love, the next time you pop into one of his surgeries.

Tell him that he may have wone that particular battle, but in the long term war, Thatchell's the one the history books will say is noted, and lauded human rights campaigner.

Oh, and Thatchell's a much beter dancer too.

Old 05-11-2010, 22:48   #13
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benipete View Post
In all fairness he did say that he was prepared to bend over forwards to accommodate a friend in need.
Apparently he's very good chums with Ann Widdicome.

Not much joy there then, for either of them.

Old 05-11-2010, 23:04   #14
God Member

There is something to be wary of in all this.. two "judges" declare an election void when thousands voted as they felt.. if the lies made by this candidate were so obvious in the eyes of two people, and the electorate still voted for them.. what does that say for the people of Oldham?..
Old 05-11-2010, 23:16   #15
Give, give, give member

Quote:
if the lies made by this candidate were so obvious in the eyes of two people, and the electorate still voted for them.. what does that say for the people of Oldham?..

That people take it for granted, that politicans don't always tell the truth?

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..