Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

View Poll Results: Election time - who wins & how many votes?
Jones - increases labour majority to 10,000+ 0 0%
Jones - takes 15-18,000 votes - same majority as Pope 4 12.12%
jones - labour vote falls - majority of 200-2000 20 60.61%
Jones - after a recount - scrapes through with 1-200 votes 2 6.06%
Buckley - after recount, wins by 1-200 votes 3 9.09%
Buckley - big swing to Tories - wins by 2000+ votes 2 6.06%
Rankine - scrapes through with 1-200 votes majority 0 0%
Rankine - wins seat with big majority 2000+ 0 0%
UKIP win 0 0%
BNP/crackpot christians/greens win 2 6.06%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 29-04-2010, 06:31   #166
Beacon of light

Re: Election - Place yer bets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yerself View Post
You could get one of Robinson's coaches to wait outside the polling station with its engine revving and use it as your getaway vehicle.
What a good idea.......have you been reading my blog ?
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 29-04-2010, 07:21   #167
Common Sense Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gayle View Post
I think that's outrageous - he was in private. I'm sorry but I think that it was wrong to broadcast that. Yes, he was a bit dumb for being miked up and saying it but what has happened is like phone tapping and probably illegal.

As for the lady, it's not a surprise that they're only showing the last bit of their conversation.
The Eleventh Commandment: Thou shalt not get caught

On a basic level you should always treat every microphone as if it's live but if the public are naive enough to think that the other candidates aren't doing the same thing in private then they need a little wake up call.

I'm surprised at the BBC reporting it in such a sensationalist way though. As I commented to them only a few days ago, they're behaving like a commercial channel desperate for viewers.

http://hyndburn-labour.blogspot.co.uk/ - Updates from the Hyndburn Labour Group
Ken Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2010, 07:22   #168
God Member

Both myself and Mrs. Yerself have received separate individually addressed election leaflets from the Labour party, whilst the Conservative party sent one, addressed to us both. Is this an insight to how the parties will spend public money and how one party will achieve spending cuts through being more efficient?

Do not take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive.
yerself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2010, 07:31   #169
Common Sense Member

Quote:
Both myself and Mrs. Yerself have received separate individually addressed election leaflets from the Labour party, whilst the Conservative party sent one, addressed to us both. Is this an insight to how the parties will spend public money and how one party will achieve spending cuts through being more efficient?
All campaign literature (certainly from Labour) is sent out with party funds. We all pays subs each month and this goes towards printing costs, etc.

The individual leaflets are a simple matter of trying to reach voter in the borough rather than just every household. If the person who gets a leaflet through the door bins it straight then away another voter in the house who may well be interested will not see it.

It all boils down to an extra effort to try and persuade people to vote Labour but it never costs the public a penny.

Old 29-04-2010, 07:39   #170
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Moss
it never costs the public a penny
I wasn't suggesting the leaflets were funded by public money but asking if this was a pointer as to how each party would spend public money should they form the next government.

Old 29-04-2010, 07:46   #171
Common Sense Member

Quote:
I wasn't suggesting the leaflets were funded by public money but asking if this was a pointer as to how each party would spend public money should they form the next government.
I'm fairly sure that election leaflets or anything self-promoting for the party cannot be funded by public money.

Except the Hyndburn calendar, of course.

Old 29-04-2010, 08:14   #172
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Moss
I'm fairly sure that election leaflets or anything self-promoting for the party cannot be funded by public money.
You've still missed the point. I'm not suggesting party publicity is funded by public money. I'm talking about how parties would spend/waste public money in general, should they get into power.

Old 29-04-2010, 08:47   #173
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
You've still missed the point. I'm not suggesting party publicity is funded by public money. I'm talking about how parties would spend/waste public money in general, should they get into power.
well Hyndburns calendar should give ya a good indication as that WAS public money.
Old 29-04-2010, 09:06   #174
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
Oh No, the hatpin method has been consigned to the dustbin......I will put a cross against every name on the paper...to my daughter absolute horror......she is trying to convert me to act sensibly and vote properly....so far she is losing!
Bloody hell Margaret, it looks like we are both affiliated to the same political party now, that's just how I've voted my vote is already in so I can't change my mind now
Old 29-04-2010, 09:09   #175
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Moss View Post
The Eleventh Commandment: Thou shalt not get caught

On a basic level you should always treat every microphone as if it's live but if the public are naive enough to think that the other candidates aren't doing the same thing in private then they need a little wake up call.

I'm surprised at the BBC reporting it in such a sensationalist way though. As I commented to them only a few days ago, they're behaving like a commercial channel desperate for viewers.
On checking Microphones ask Ron Atkinson
Old 29-04-2010, 09:13   #176
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Could be interesting when it comes to the accounting at the end of the election yerself, maybe the local Labour Party are using the Gordon Brown/Alistair Darling Accounting System, and we all know how well that works
Old 29-04-2010, 09:19   #177
Resting in Peace

Quote:

Except the Hyndburn calendar, of course.
Don't forget there is also a ceiling on how much a candidate can spend, and when your actually sending out 8 page leaflets, one has to wonder, even if the cost is born my the individual, the amount has to be included on the official return to the Returning Officer
Old 29-04-2010, 09:22   #178
Super Moderator

Quote:
Got news for you, Ken. The public aren't naive enough to think that other candidates aren't doing the same thing. The public are well sussed enough to know that all the political parties regard them as mug punters. That's why they won't believe the lies that'll be peddled tonight about the economy and spending cuts, and that's why there is such a widespread mood of cynicism in the country.
Old 29-04-2010, 09:39   #179
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman
well Hyndburns calendar should give ya a good indication as that WAS public money.
I thought that was an official HBC publication. Are you trying to suggest it was Tory propaganda?

Old 29-04-2010, 09:39   #180
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post
Got news for you, Ken. The public aren't naive enough to think that other candidates aren't doing the same thing. The public are well sussed enough to know that all the political parties regard them as mug punters. That's why they won't believe the lies that'll be peddled tonight about the economy and spending cuts, and that's why there is such a widespread mood of cynicism in the country.
I'd never have put you down as a cynic Wyn

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..