Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-06-2007, 14:31   #31
Resting in Peace

Re: electric wheelchairs

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancsdave View Post
I have been out with my Dad on 2 occasions in Burnley Town Centre where the occupant of said car has actually been sat in it. Talk about cringe because he let them have it with both barrels, it's probably the thing that drives him up the wall most about his disability Strange that on both occasions too neither driver understood English yet had managed to pass a driving test
Well done to your Dad....
magpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 06-06-2007, 14:42   #32
Apprentice Geriatric

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancsdave View Post
I have been out with my Dad on 2 occasions in Burnley Town Centre where the occupant of said car has actually been sat in it. Talk about cringe because he let them have it with both barrels, it's probably the thing that drives him up the wall most about his disability Strange that on both occasions too neither driver understood English yet had managed to pass a driving test
Are you sure that the driver actually passed the test. Maybe it was an English speaking friend.
Old 06-06-2007, 17:03   #33
Senior Member+

All I say is they should be made to have minimum insurance, its not that dear. After all they could cause damage or injury to someone, and you get the added benefit of exra covers.

Insurance
Old 06-06-2007, 19:01   #34
Apprentice Geriatric

Cool Re: electric wheelchairs

I agree with you ***Mr D***, drivers of these Electric Wheelchairs/Scooters should have a compulsory third party insurance and a disk displayed to say that a valid insurance is in force.

However where does that leave prams and buggies? A scooter will travel at 4mph and so can someone pushing a pram. Then again so can pedestrians. 4 mph is a brisk walking pace. We’ve all been bumped aside by someone in a hurry.

I won’t even mention push bikes.

Once my real car driving days are over I will certainly look to getting one but I will take out third party insurance to protect me against claims.
Old 06-06-2007, 19:47   #35

I must agree with you there in what you say i my self have an electric weel chair but when i am going to the shop,s i see them in there buggie,s and they think they own the road but some of them are a death trap to them self,s thats what i think any way.
mallard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 06:33   #36
God Member

I have seen quite enough of cantankerous old biddys in these mobile death traps to be convinced that they are a hazard to safe road usage. Cleveleys, in particular, as you might expect, is inundated with them. I have no problem with them using the pavement, that is what they are intended for, but when they are creeping along the carriage way holding up traffic it is a different matter altogether. They should be taxed and insured and the drivers should be required to undergo a test - like the rest of us road users. Rules are rules, and should apply to all, irrespective of age, disability or arrogance.
Old 10-06-2007, 07:35   #37
Resting In Peace

I work with kids with various disabilities and a lot of them can't walk and are forced to use wheelchairs including electric ones depending on their physical and mental ability to control the chair so as not to become a danger to others. The school I take them to on the bus has a system where they test the individuals ability to control the chair and if they fail that test then they are not allowed to use the electric chair for school and are then only able to use a manual chair on the bus and in school. I have to say this without being patronising towards any of them, most of the electric wheelies are excellent drivers and considerate towards pedestrians including myself where incidentally I have had a few bruised shins but that has been my own fault due to my acting silly with them or not paying attention when loading the vehicle and had a foot run over on more than one occaision.
Ernie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 15:26   #38
Resident Waffler

When we are talking about electric wheelchairs do we mean something like this?

Or are we thinking more of something like this?

To me even the latter looks too dangerous from the passengers point of view to be considered a roadworthy vehicle but I'm really surprised that something like the former would be even allowed on the road. I didn't think they were.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 16:03   #39
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp View Post

To me even the latter looks too dangerous from the passengers point of view to be considered a roadworthy vehicle but I'm really surprised that something like the former would be even allowed on the road. I didn't think they were.

which ever one you use, half the time you have to go on the road because THE IDIOTS park in front of the drop kirbs and many a time there is junk from shops ( that should be in the shop) place on the pavement
magpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 18:21   #40
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambutty View Post
However where does that leave prams and buggies? A scooter will travel at 4mph and so can someone pushing a pram.
here we go again , a miserable owd sod complaining about prams and buggies , one thing to realize , the babies and toddlers riding around in these things will one day be responsile for wiping your ass and mopping up the drool from your mouth , not to mention paying taxes to support your annual winter heating bonus and all the other freebies that you get (note, a 6/8d insurance stamp paid forty odd years ago does not compute even at the best interest rates to the 90 pound per week pensions of today,) , seems me them who complain about prams and buggies should be a tad more grateful .

steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 22:43   #41
Resident Waffler

On the subject of prams, my girls and I got on a bus yesterday and it was quite busy. A young mother got on with a pram. My youngest daughter, who had been sitting on one of the fold down seats as most of the rest were full (some people spreading over 2 seats with shopping etc), stood up to allow the pram to be placed in the space. The young man in front of me responded to that with "They shouldn't get on busy buses when they've got a pram" What are 'they' supposed to do then? Walk home? Wait all day for a less busy bus?

Old 10-06-2007, 23:26   #42
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp View Post

was told this morning,me best mate has had to aquire the latter one, due to his walking impediment, will have to pop up this week to ask him what "Chapter" he has joined.
Old 11-06-2007, 07:10   #43
Resident Waffler

That reminded me of a few years ago, an elderly friend of ours had one and my youngest saw it parked outside of somewhere one day and said "Dorothy is in there." I asked how she knew that and she replied. "That's her motorbike."

Old 11-06-2007, 07:29   #44
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeljack View Post
here we go again , a miserable owd sod complaining about prams and buggies , one thing to realize , the babies and toddlers riding around in these things will one day be responsile for wiping your ass and mopping up the drool from your mouth , not to mention paying taxes to support your annual winter heating bonus and all the other freebies that you get (note, a 6/8d insurance stamp paid forty odd years ago does not compute even at the best interest rates to the 90 pound per week pensions of today,) , seems me them who complain about prams and buggies should be a tad more grateful .

You really should not attack the old folk on the forum like that

It wont let me give you karma yet but you will be getting some green as soon as it will
Old 11-06-2007, 19:12   #45
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
You really should not attack the old folk on the forum like that

It wont let me give you karma yet but you will be getting some green as soon as it will
LOL , hopefully it will balance out the red karma someone who wishes to remain anonymous has allready sent
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..