Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-04-2005, 20:40   #16
Member.

Re: English And Proud!

[QUOTE=garinda]Are you going to bring your own pole too? QUOTE]

You leave my pole alone..........

I think it's time we reclaimed of pride and celebrated what good about being English. Why the hell should we have to worry about being seen as been racist in our own country? We have a lot to celebrate and every right to do so. We have made mistakes in the passed and some things we have to live with may be unpleasant, but everyone else seems to do alright, so why should we………

:engsmil: Land of Hope and Glory or Land of Subservient Tit Hangers, YOU DECIDE………..

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 05-04-2005, 21:19   #17
Resident Waffler

Well I'm a bit of a mixture but I was born in England and yet if I can celebrate St. Patrick's day I'm darned sure I should be able to celebrate St. George's day.

I don't think it has anything to do with feeling superior so not feeling the need to do it. It seems more like apathy mixed with fear of being criticised for upsetting people of other ethnic origins which is a bit daft.

Why can't we all just enjoy being who we are and enjoy sharing who we are? I love the Chinese New Year celebrations but I'm not Chinese so maybe Chinese people would enjoy a good old St. George's knees up if there ever was such a thing. (That's just an isolated example by the way)

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2005, 21:30   #18
Accrington Web Mascot

Is the 23rd also the last Saturday in the Month? I think I'll have to wash my flag & celebrate!!!
ShortStuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2005, 21:32   #19
Member.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShortStuff
Is the 23rd also the last Saturday in the Month? I think I'll have to wash my flag & celebrate!!!
I just don't know how to take that...........lol

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2005, 21:44   #20
Passed away 25-11-09

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp
Well I'm a bit of a mixture but I was born in England and yet if I can celebrate St. Patrick's day I'm darned sure I should be able to celebrate St. George's day.

I don't think it has anything to do with feeling superior so not feeling the need to do it. It seems more like apathy mixed with fear of being criticised for upsetting people of other ethnic origins which is a bit daft.

Why can't we all just enjoy being who we are and enjoy sharing who we are? I love the Chinese New Year celebrations but I'm not Chinese so maybe Chinese people would enjoy a good old St. George's knees up if there ever was such a thing. (That's just an isolated example by the way)

My feelings precisely.
Old 05-04-2005, 21:57   #21
God Member

well im also getting on the free coach to hereford and stanley will slay the weslh (nearly) dragon

England Flags galore!!!!

Last edited by John_Timmins; 05-04-2005 at 21:57. Reason: sausage fingers
John_Timmins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2005, 06:28   #22
Super Moderator

Watching motor racing?...barbecues?...sod that for a game of soldiers. Get yerselves down to Hereford on the FREE coaches, have a few beers and wave those St Geroges flags on the terraces in support of your local club. COME ON! LET'S BE HAVIN' YER!
Wynonie Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2005, 09:42   #23
Senior Member+

My local club?

Hmmm, that would be a choice of Gillingham or Brighton, and I support neither.

How about supporting my favourite team - BMW WilliamsF1?

Go Webber!!!

vorlon24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2005, 11:12   #24
Super Moderator

Ok, Vorlon, you're excused! How about a few more of you lot from Accy coming along? :engsmil:
Wynonie Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2005, 13:24   #25
Give, give, give member

l'm coming to my first Stanley match on Saturday thanks to Lindasay Ormerod. Lets see how Saturday goes down before you let me on the bus, lol.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2005, 16:51   #26
Resting in peace

Well, a couple of years ago our beloved (!!) leader Red Ken Livingstone earmarked a fairly large sum of council (i.e. OUR) money to celebrate St Patrick's Day. When he was asked for similar funding for St George's Day, he refused. This is what we are contending with.

That said, on St George's Day a huge flag hangs outside our local ironmongers - and he has smaller St George's flags up all year. He is Asian. If he can be proud, we d**n well should!

I shall be sinking a few in celebration!
pendy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2005, 22:51   #27

Lets keep England English,these jobsworths are tight fisted for our country,lets send millions of pounds abroad and starve us of a good knees up!
It's wrong!
slapperdapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2005, 01:03   #28

A village not a million miles from here celebrates 4th July with US flags flying because George Washington's family originated from these parts. I do my bit on that day by flying a Cross of St George.
Old 22-04-2005, 18:27   #29
land of hope and glory

well its almost upon us! not many flags fluttering,hope you lot on the coach to watch stanley do us proud.i will certainley be sinking a few tomorrow night along with a few others! my flags are up and fluttering in the wind and mands has done a good job on the inside...............here is to george
staggeringman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2005, 19:58   #30
Foreign Correspondent

Sounds good to me! Here in the USA, St. Patrick's Day is a big celebration and, in the major cities, Chinese New Year and sometimes the Cinco de Mayo (May 5th, not five jars of Hellman's) where there is a populaton of Mexicans. Independence Day on July 4th brings parades, fairs, barbeques and, or course, fireworks and we Americans are not at all reluctant to celebrate. So, as long as I can take a leek on March 1 to celebrate with the Welsh, I'm only too glad to add April 23 to the list of celebrations! Not that I need any excuse to have fun, but all these dates help to make it part of the plan.

Have to see if I can find a pub, or at least a bar serving some decent English brew when I go to NYC tommorrw. Have a great St. George's Day, everyone!
:engsmil:

When in darkness or in doubt, visit Oswaldtwistle!
Billcat is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..