Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 19-03-2009, 18:45   #1
Resting In Peace

exchange rate

the exchange rate at the post office today was down to 1.02e to the pound. for every £100 you get 102 euro, in a word crap.
tosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 19-03-2009, 18:49   #2
God Member

Re: exchange rate

thats what comes from us not joining teh Euro when it started......

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2009, 18:52   #3
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by entwisi View Post
thats what comes from us not joining teh Euro when it started......
in total agreement with that, if ya bring euros back n change it back to sterling, yer out of pocket. to me that would have been 1 of the "Few" benefits fer us when we joined the E.U.
Old 19-03-2009, 19:01   #4
God Member

According to some "experts" I have listened to on CBC, the Euro could be heading for trouble, because many of the economies using the Euro are in real deep do-do. Maybe sticking with the pound might turn out to be not a bad idea. At least you are not tying your currency to economic basket cases over whom you have little control.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2009, 19:06   #5
God Member

I import food supplements from USA monthly
I watch the exchange rate of the pound against the US dollar so that is the one which affects me. There has been a slight improvement this month
What grieves me most is the VAT bill I have to pay before it is delivered.
At least I am getting the benefit of the VAT cut which some unscrupulous retailers have conveniently ignored

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2009, 19:46   #6
Resting in Peace

To be quite honest I don't give to hoots for the Euro, as far as I'm concerned we have the British pound and that's the way I would like it to stay, it won't be long before the pound starts gaining against the Euro and the dollar, as soon as we get rid of our saviour, Superman Gordon, or as he's becoming known Flash Gordon, the savior of the Universe
Old 19-03-2009, 20:18   #7
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
According to some "experts" I have listened to on CBC, the Euro could be heading for trouble, because many of the economies using the Euro are in real deep do-do. Maybe sticking with the pound might turn out to be not a bad idea. At least you are not tying your currency to economic basket cases over whom you have little control.
We won't escape from that little mess, Eric. As one of the biggest net contributors to the EU, we will be expected to play a major part in bailing out the Eastern European members who are in an even worse state than us. After all, we're all part of the same club.
Old 19-03-2009, 21:57   #8
Senior Member+

It's killing us. When we came here almost eight years ago we had a good standard of living and life was good. Our monthly income has dropped by a third and times are hard. The car has gone, no more bowling or golf and treats are few and far between.

It also feels like I'm paying double for things. To be honest, I can't get my head around it.

On the good side..........at least we are warm!

So much muck to eat before you die
junetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2009, 22:04   #9
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by junetta View Post
It's killing us. When we came here almost eight years ago we had a good standard of living and life was good. Our monthly income has dropped by a third and times are hard. The car has gone, no more bowling or golf and treats are few and far between.

It also feels like I'm paying double for things. To be honest, I can't get my head around it.

On the good side..........at least we are warm!
thats the thing ive found june, whilst the cost oer yon is higher, ya don't pay much fer heating etc, council tax, n such, our heating is now £144 a month. so its cheaper fer us to come out in winter months.
Old 19-03-2009, 22:20   #10
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
thats the thing ive found june, whilst the cost oer yon is higher, ya don't pay much fer heating etc, council tax, n such, our heating is now £144 a month. so its cheaper fer us to come out in winter months.
Agree with that Cashy...after rent paid, This time of the year £40 a month electric, no gas. The highest bill is for the telephone and broadband £80 a month, no council tax, no tv licence fees, water rates £40 two months this includes payment for swimming pool and Maintenance.
I have a garage which is safe and underground.
The pound does affect us but luckily I have provisioned for the ups and downs and can buy product in sterling and sell in euros.

Blackburn Rovers Supporter Since 1950
Royboy39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2009, 23:35   #11
Roy
Administrator

The pound currently is killing me. When it becomes 8 quid a pint, in Russia, you know something is very very wrong!
Posted via Mobile Device
Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2009, 00:06   #12
Senior Member+

I know where you are going and if we worked and earned euros it would be better. Our bills are minimal which helps but there are no jobs to be found here unless you are willing to see folk off with time shares.

I'm an ex civil servant but can't get a job unless I have three languages.........I have English and a half in Spanish, no chance. I would so love to work and really regret taking early retirement. Hindsight won't help. We'll cart on and hope for the best.

So much muck to eat before you die
junetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2009, 05:55   #13
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post
We won't escape from that little mess, Eric. As one of the biggest net contributors to the EU, we will be expected to play a major part in bailing out the Eastern European members who are in an even worse state than us. After all, we're all part of the same club.
No sooner said than done..."the EU has said it may double to 50billion Euros the amount of emergency funding to help member states that need urgent budget support" (ceefax)...and like all projects of this type, it will go on soaking up more and more money like a sponge...money that will not be properly audited like so much else in the EU. As one of the biggest contributors to the EU, Britain will be paying a very large share of it...that's the same Britain which was mentioned by the IMF as being the G20 country with by far the largest public spending deficit. The economics of madness.
Old 20-03-2009, 08:22   #14
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royboy39 View Post
Agree with that Cashy...after rent paid, This time of the year £40 a month electric, no gas. The highest bill is for the telephone and broadband £80 a month, no council tax, no tv licence fees, water rates £40 two months this includes payment for swimming pool and Maintenance.
I have a garage which is safe and underground.
The pound does affect us but luckily I have provisioned for the ups and downs and can buy product in sterling and sell in euros.
80 quid for phone and broadband? Thats a lot, whats the split? are there no 'calling' options like we have telediscount?

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2009, 08:51   #15
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy View Post
The pound currently is killing me. When it becomes 8 quid a pint, in Russia, you know something is very very wrong!
Posted via Mobile Device
Thats enough to make a mn go TT Roy, not much chance of the three wise men moving over there from the Railway anytime soon

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..