Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree209Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 24-07-2017, 08:50   #256
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Re: Exit Polls

I just hope those who actually voted twice are prosecuted, will be poetic justice for believing a pack of lies.
KiTChener likes this.
Old 24-07-2017, 09:22   #257
Beacon of light

I think it is highly unlikely that they will be..But we can live in hope.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2017, 09:27   #258
Beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
Lord knows what damage he would have done to the finances of the country with his promises.
Personally I think he knew that it was not feasible, but was keen to gather the votes those who have not had enough experience of life
My iPad writes what it wants...I should have proof read what it had written before posting.(I was being hurried by himself...and posted without checking)
Above are the corrections to my post.
Old 24-07-2017, 15:10   #259
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
I just hope those who actually voted twice are prosecuted, will be poetic justice for believing a pack of lies.
It should be impossible to vote twice, we have the technology to prevent it but our voting system is stuck in the past. It's the 21st century and you can cast your vote without having to ID yourself
KiTChener and cashman like this.
Old 24-07-2017, 17:18   #260
Beacon of light

I take my voting card along with me to the polling station...that should be enough.
These students who voted twice would have had a voting card for their home address and one for their student location...but they should only be able to use one of these.
That said...Nick Clegg thinks that youngsters votes should be weighted to be worth more that the votes of older people...that's democratic(NOT)
Less, hilleluk and monkey hanger like this.
Old 24-07-2017, 17:21   #261

I have to admit, I have never taken a voting card to a polling station
hilleluk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2017, 17:31   #262

I would say the past few times that I have voted, there has been a strange look when I only given my name and address. You don't think that I look so old that they have not challenged me. no no that cannot be the reason why.
hilleluk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2017, 18:58   #263
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
It should be impossible to vote twice, we have the technology to prevent it but our voting system is stuck in the past. It's the 21st century and you can cast your vote without having to ID yourself
Yes, I quite agree, but the only way to prevent double voting & various other fraudulent activities is .... registration & personal ID, be that finger print scan, retinal scan or ID issued from a central office with your unique number & all linked to a central records office.

Fakes & forgeries would be picked up straight away when scanned as they wouldn't be on the database! But, as soon as you mention any of the above as a way of securing our society & its running you are immediately stonewalled & confronted with the frothing civil liberties & human rights acolytes bleating ad nausea!

And if not the usual suspects, there are also those among the populace who really don't want these measures for whatever their reasons are. But if absolute security is what you're wanting ..... well sooner or later folk will have to accept the above choices or we'll still be in the same rut x years down the line complaining about the same issues!

Old 24-07-2017, 19:36   #264
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

I've no real objection to some form of I.D. so long as if, when the Government introduces it then I shouldn't have to send in money to obtain that I.D. that is just another form of tax.
KiTChener and monkey hanger like this.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2017, 19:43   #265
Beacon of light

OH NO...NOT the ID thing again!

I am not entering into this debate.
I have said my piece about ID....nothing has changed that makes me re-evaluate my position.
Old 24-07-2017, 20:06   #266
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Quote:
OH NO...NOT the ID thing again!
Sic vita est!
Barrie Yates likes this.
Old 24-07-2017, 20:33   #267
Beacon of light

Yes Son...such is life.
And I am NOT changing!
Accyweb where you can get lessons in Latin(although the rules DO forbid the use of foreign language posts)

Last edited by Margaret Pilkington; 24-07-2017 at 20:35.
Old 25-07-2017, 05:21   #268
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Quote:
Accyweb where you can get lessons in Latin(although the rules DO forbid the use of foreign language posts)
Quite, but you'll find Latin is prevalent throughout the English language, especially legaleese ergo lays within the parameters of our native tongue ad hoc its usage. Hence this A.M, (Anti Meridiem), I've chosen to highlight certain phrases to show their inextricable link with our modern English i.e. (Id est) our use of certain terms.

Did not our very own "Lizzie Windsor" not so long ago use the term "Annus horribilis". In an address to us her loyal British subjects?
Old 25-07-2017, 06:43   #269
Beacon of light

Yes...and having been in the medical profession I have been exposed to, aware of and been guilty of using the said language.
I actually like to see it written and hear it. It has a regality(not sure if I made that word up) to it.
I used to go to Church with my Ma and sit through Sunday Mass...in Latin, with my missal open showing the Latin responses in red.

Anyone who was taught Latin at school should consider themselves very lucky as it is the basis of understanding words and their meanings.

That said, I think I was once taken to task for using it on the forum because of the foreign lingo rules. I did not make them, but I DO try(and sometimes fail)to abide by them.
Old 25-07-2017, 08:06   #270
God Member

And if not the usual suspects, there are also those among the populace who really don't want these measures for whatever their reasons are. But if absolute security is what you're wanting ..... well sooner or later folk will have to accept the above choices or we'll still be in the same rut x years down the line complaining about the same issues!

agree with this I.D. issue. only those who have something to hide or the lefties seem really down on the idea. the only downside would be if it was against the law not to carry it all the time. for someone like me who carries nothing around with me except the cash i need it could be more than a problem. i,d probebly forget it as many times as a set off without my stanley season ticket.
as for latin you can keep it.
monkey hanger is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..