Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 20-08-2023, 01:47   #1

FIFA Women's World Cup

How disappointing that as far as I can ascertain no mention has been made on this site about England’s women’s football team who have done so well that they have reached the final and will be playing for the FIFA Women’s World Cup today.

The team representing your local club gets its fair share of mention on Accyweb which is understandable, but why hasn’t anyone deemed it important enough to also mention the women’s team that is representing your country. Irrespective of the result of today’s match you should be justifiably proud of that team. I hope you watch the match and cheer them on. It’s 66 years since I lived over there but I will certainly be doing so.

(If mention has been made then my apologies, but I have been unable to find any, and yes I know this could have gone in the Sports section but I have opted to put it here).
Margaret Pilkington and taddy like this.
dotti34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 20-08-2023, 07:45   #2

Re: FIFA Women's World Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by dotti34 View Post
How disappointing that as far as I can ascertain no mention has been made on this site about England’s women’s football team who have done so well that they have reached the final and will be playing for the FIFA Women’s World Cup today.

The team representing your local club gets its fair share of mention on Accyweb which is understandable, but why hasn’t anyone deemed it important enough to also mention the women’s team that is representing your country. Irrespective of the result of today’s match you should be justifiably proud of that team. I hope you watch the match and cheer them on. It’s 66 years since I lived over there but I will certainly be doing so.

(If mention has been made then my apologies, but I have been unable to find any, and yes I know this could have gone in the Sports section but I have opted to put it here).
I don't normally watch the round ball game but I shall be watching the Lionesses today.
dotti34 likes this.
taddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2023, 07:51   #3
Beacon of light

Some of the chaps in my social circle say that these girls play football how it used to be played before the huge sums of money were earned for doing it…yes they are all old boys.
But they tell me(who knows nothing about football) that there is more actual football, less diving and lying there looking like they are dying…that the games are sportsman like….yes, yes I know that is a contradiction in terms.

I think the game may be on at our house….I probably won’t watch it, but I know someone who will…and he will be shouting for these lionesses.
dotti34 and taddy like this.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2023, 08:51   #4
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

I have watched every england game plus a lot of the other games in fact i prefer to watch the ladies, cos they in general dont PLAY DEAD when fouled like the men do,i aint mentioned it cos im sick of people moaning about football.
Old 20-08-2023, 10:04   #5

I agree Cashie that the way the girls play the game does not have the well-acted theatricals to it like some of the men’s teams have sunk to doing for whatever advantage this might give them.

However, if your reference to moaners about football relates to comments on this site about the number of Accrington Stanley threads as against for other subjects, it’s not about the number of posts on there about your team but the fact that there aren’t many other subjects discussed any more. More’s the pity as I’m sure those contributors regarding football also have other subjects they would enjoy debating, subjects that non-sports people would also enjoy discussing, thus helping to bring the site back to what it once was.

Anyway Cashie enjoy the match and all best wishes to the England team.
Old 20-08-2023, 11:04   #6
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

they will have to improve SPAIN are easy the best side so far. imho.
Old 20-08-2023, 12:10   #7
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

The best team on the day won simple as. congratulations SPAIN.
taddy likes this.
Old 20-08-2023, 12:24   #8
Beacon of light

However you look at it they did well…but well done Spain.
Old 20-08-2023, 15:57   #9

I watched some of it before I had to go out, however from what I saw (and I'm no footy fan) they were kicking the ball back to their own side more than towards the Spanish side.
The spanish players on the other hand were more on the attack more than our girls.

There is bitterness online, claims of 12 spanish players, cheating and a biased ref.
Our girls lost a game to a bigger & more forceful side, they will be back.
RainbowSix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2023, 17:35   #10

[QUOTE=cashman;1273946]I have watched every england game plus a lot of the other games in fact i prefer to watch the ladies, cos they in general dont PLAY DEAD when fouled like the men do,i aint mentioned it cos im sick of people moaning about football.

Good on you Cashy, my thoughts entirely, even though I am not a fan of football.
Old 20-08-2023, 17:40   #11

[QUOTE=RainbowSix;1273961]I watched some of it before I had to go out, however from what I saw (and I'm no footy fan) they were kicking the ball back to their own side more than towards the Spanish side.
The spanish players on the other hand were more on the attack more than our girls.

There is bitterness online, claims of 12 spanish players, cheating and a biased ref.

Biased ref, we are not getting back to cricket again I hope.
Old 20-08-2023, 19:14   #12
Beacon of light

The online bitterness is just sour grapes...poor losers. that is not true sportsman ship.

When you lose you say nothing...not that the other side cheated(even if they did) or that the ref was biased.

Besides those Lionesses have done so much to be applauded. I can recognise their grit and determination...and to be gracious in loss is something that has to be praised...
There will be other competitions but now they should be proud of how they played.

(oh yes I should say i know nothing about football)
dotti34 and taddy like this.
Old 21-08-2023, 01:41   #13

Congratulations to Spain on their win. I was hoping the Lionesses would win but they did their best and that’s all that can be asked of them. One thing for sure is that this World Cup has promoted and highlighted women’s soccer brilliantly.
cashman and taddy like this.
Old 21-08-2023, 12:58   #14
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

SPAIN deserved to win no doubt at all.they were the best side on the day.but have to agree with Margaret she knows nowt about football.its not bitterness its common sense.by someone who knows summat about the game.
Old 21-08-2023, 14:24   #15
Beacon of light

Cashy I think you have got hold of the wrong end of the stick….there was a comment that there was a lot of bitterness online…and that someone had said the ref was biased….that is what MY comments were aimed at…those people who cannot bear to lose gracefully.
Personally I could not care a jot about football…it means nothing to me.

That said, I DO recognise that the Lionesses have made a good fist of this competition…I also can see that there is a lot of support for the woman’s game (though I do not understand it at all…not the game, but the attraction of football. To me it is a man’s game. I know that will not sit well with the feminists out there)

At a time when women are being marginalised by the minority trans activists, the Lionesses have underscored that women are a force to be reckoned with.

Did you notice that I congratulated the Spanish team? I would not have done that had I been bitter about the result.
taddy likes this.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..