Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 30-03-2009, 20:58   #1

Fire in Doncaster

Just read this in the Times--There was a fire in Doncaster and a man and his wife and 2 kids were trapped in the house. The Police had arrived at the scene but did not do anything as they said that they were waiting for the Fire Brigade to arrive. The woman was screaming at an upstairs window--Save my kids please save my kids--. Some neighbours got a ladder and attemted to put the ladder up to the window.They were ordered back by the Police Officers present. You must wait for the Fire Brigade. It is against Health and Safety to attempt a rescue without the proper equipment.But we must do something said the people.When the fire Brigade eventually arrived the man his wife and one child were dead. The other child is so badly hurt that it is unlikely she will live.
Aneighbour said that they were alovely family but everyone was gutted that the Police would not allow them to attempt a rescue.
A Police spokesperson said that the Police acted correctly as they felt that there could have been more dead if they had not stopped the neighbours.
I dont know what you think of this case but I know that in the old days before PC came along those Policemen would have tried like hell to rescue those poor people.We have lost all ryhme and reason here.The World is going mad
Jim Procter is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 30-03-2009, 21:21   #2
God Member

Re: Fire in Doncaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Procter View Post
Just read this in the Times--There was a fire in Doncaster and a man and his wife and 2 kids were trapped in the house. The Police had arrived at the scene but did not do anything as they said that they were waiting for the Fire Brigade to arrive. The woman was screaming at an upstairs window--Save my kids please save my kids--. Some neighbours got a ladder and attemted to put the ladder up to the window.They were ordered back by the Police Officers present. You must wait for the Fire Brigade. It is against Health and Safety to attempt a rescue without the proper equipment.But we must do something said the people.When the fire Brigade eventually arrived the man his wife and one child were dead. The other child is so badly hurt that it is unlikely she will live.
Aneighbour said that they were alovely family but everyone was gutted that the Police would not allow them to attempt a rescue.
A Police spokesperson said that the Police acted correctly as they felt that there could have been more dead if they had not stopped the neighbours.
I dont know what you think of this case but I know that in the old days before PC came along those Policemen would have tried like hell to rescue those poor people.We have lost all ryhme and reason here.The World is going mad
No Jim... the UK is going mad...So many rules and regulations prevent good people from doing their jobs...that includes the police.
I remember the times when the local Bobby, who would have known the household, ask for volunteers to provide a ladder and save these poor souls.........I cry with frustration at the current situation. If my family were involved, god forbid, no force on earth would stop me from trying to rescue those involved.
Just imagine the same situation on the front line, and i've been there, you must wait for whoever.....the answer would have been?...Ill leave that to your imagination.

Blackburn Rovers Supporter Since 1950
Royboy39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2009, 21:21   #3
Resting in Peace

This story made me weep too Jim, picturing the distraught Mother at the window, but we don't yet know the full facts as yet, and if it would have been a futile and suicidal effort on part of the neighbours.

Bless that family and this sad loss of life.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2009, 21:39   #4
Passed away 25-11-09

Time was, the policemen at the scene would have risked their own lives to save these people. No way would I want to see a police officer die but there would always have been the chance he/she could have saved a life.

Those people, police and civilians, will have to live the rest of their lives with the sound of that poor woman's screams in their memories. Health and Safety? You can keep it when it means standing by while a family dies.
Old 30-03-2009, 22:33   #5
I am Banned

[quote=Jim Procter;698530]Just read this in the Times--There was a fire in Doncaster and a man and his wife and 2 kids were trapped in the house. The Police had arrived at the scene but did not do anything as they said that they were waiting for the Fire Brigade to arrive. The woman was screaming at an upstairs window--Save my kids please save my kids--.

That situation is difficult to judge,until the full circumstances are known.
(1) was the window open when she was shouting.
If it was closed and it was smashed in, I've seen them explode with the sudden inroad of air, any one at the top of the ladder would'nt stand a chance.

(2) If the window was open, and only smoke visible, then a rescue by ladder may have been possible.

I went to one in Clayton le Moors years ago, I got in through the front bedroom window and found a young baby in a cot, by the time I handed it to a fireman at the top of the ladder, flames were coming up between the floor boards, and I was unable to cross the head of the stairs to the back bedroom, until the crew below dowsed the stairway, two of us managed to get into the back room,
but by then it was too late, 3 young children dead.

Roland Joinson the reporter for the Accy Observer was there at the time, he wanted my picture in the Observer,
but I would'nt allow it. The baby I found in the cot was the same age as my youngest daughter.

I never liked fires where children were involved, they don't know what to do, adults should have more sense.
A heck of a lot of house fires are due to carelessness and stupidity on the part of adults.

I still check every thing, gas and eletrical before going out, and every night before bed. All electrical appliances have the correct rated fuses in them, not 13 amp like most things, a television does'nt need 13 amp if it only consumes 2 or 3, an electric clock only needs a 1 amp fuse.

Retlaw.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2009, 22:49   #6
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

its all well n good retlaw, yes someone with yer knowledge of fires would know the score, no doubt, but ordinary yokels just react as they see fit, when someone is in mortal danger,fer my money its P.C. gone mad, a distraught friend or neighbour would possibly chin the copper to try n save those people, then they would become the poor sod in court. i find it very sad n very maddening, health n safety gone mad.
Old 30-03-2009, 23:41   #7
God Member

maybe one readers comment at the end of the Times story just about sums up how things have changed .

"Have you noticed that the police never win medals for bravery any more!"
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2009, 03:23   #8
God Member

God help the man and respect to his loss.. the Police and Firemen do have regulations put upon them but I'm not having it.. I do not believe that people can be held back for some health and saftey stuff... no copper or fireman would hold me back from my loved ones... if it has really come to the time when you are restricted from saving your own then I really will give up....but I don't believe anyone could hold me back from helping my own.. and stuff any regulation.

Last edited by Mancie; 31-03-2009 at 03:32.
Mancie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2009, 09:28   #9
Resting in Peace

Like has been said, we don't know the full story, but when there are lives at stake you try anything to help, as or health and safety, its now becoming impossible to lead a normal life, your forever walking on Egg Shells, its health and safety this and discrimination that, the world, no Britain, is going to hell on a hand cart, or would be if the hand cart hadn't been ordered of the road because the breaks are faulty
Old 31-03-2009, 20:04   #10
God Member

just been confirmed teh little girl has died....

RIP

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2009, 21:35   #11

Iam so sorry to read about that its made me weep a little well i was reading i must say r.i.p. well i pray for them.
mallard is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..