Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 19-02-2010, 18:31   #1
Give, give, give member

First class chuff-chuff.

Having spent over twenty years commuting up and down the west coast railway line in steerage class, perfectly able to work, read, sleep, should M.P.s be given first class rail tickets?

Winsome Winterton claims first class will afford him more privacy, but since he's not in the cabinet, so unlikely to be reading classified information, surely what he's working on will just as easily be seen in first, as in standard class.

'Tory buffoon Sir Nicholas Winterton yesterday exposed the truth about David Cameron's party - they are STILL snobbish, arrogant and out of touch.'
'The MP sparked outrage when he said he shouldn't have to travel in standard class on trains because it is full of "a different kind of people".
'He said he did not want to be forced in with those who had standard class tickets, adding: "They are a totally different type of people.'
Fury at arrogant Tory Sir Nicholas Winterton's refusal to travel standard class on trains - mirror.co.uk

The odd thing is umpteem times I caught the same train back from London with Ken Hargreaves, alighted at platform 3, trundled across to platform 2, where we both caught the same Colne train, which had no differing class divisions.

The only good thing is that after the General Election the M.P. and his wife, will be paying their own rail fares, whichever class they decide to sit in.

'The couple will not run for re-election as the MPs for Macclesfield and Congleton'
'In a letter to David Cameron, the Tory leader, the couple said that they could no longer "maintain the hectic pace" of political life and wanted to step down in order to spend more time with their family.'
'Their decision comes after the Telegraph disclosed that they claimed more than £80,000 in rent for a small London flat that was owned by a trust controlled by their children.'
Sir Nicholas and Ann Winterton to stand down from parliament: MPs expenses - Telegraph

Whether you think M.P.s should, or shouldn't be allowed first class travel privileges, there's one thing he's definitely bottom of the class in, and that's knowing when to keep your gob shut, so you don't look like an out of touch, elitist, jerk.

Last edited by garinda; 19-02-2010 at 18:36.
garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 19-02-2010, 18:38   #2
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Re: First class chuff-chuff.

that just re-enforces what i always knew about these arrogant snotty gets,n many ordinary folk are too thick to see it.
Old 19-02-2010, 18:44   #3
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Aah, isn't that nice. A true man of the people so long as they aren't Oiks & 'Erberts, Wayne & Waynetta's. There in all its officialdom we're different types of People. By that he must mean Honest/Upstanding/Hard working/Truthful & Genuine, unlike him & his cronies. I suppose that's why most of us wouldn't be suited to Bollictics.
DaveinGermany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2010, 19:04   #4
Resting in Peace

I don't see a problem with M.P.'s travelling 1st Class ... think they should. They are public figures running the country for heaven's sake, and need space to work whilst moving around ... saving time. Not going to argue further about it .. that's my unyielding opinion.

All high managers in lots of companies are allowed this 'luxury'. Unfortunately, he was arrogant, and that is what has rattled people's cages, but still agree with the sentiments.

Most have travelled 1st class for years; I, myself have come across them on many occasions on the Euston/Glasgow train .. so nowt new.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2010, 19:07   #5
God Member

They are going to work, why cant they pay their own travel fares just like you and I do

www.ubuntu.com

K.S.H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2010, 19:07   #6
God Member

from the bit I have read, I think the guy has a bit of a valid point , but should have been more upset that full fare paying passengers are sometimes required to stand for a complete journey when all the seats are taken , how come the railways are allowed to sell more tickets than seats available . My thinking is if I'm paying full fare I should be entitled to a seat .
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2010, 19:12   #7
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
I don't see a problem with M.P.'s travelling 1st Class ... think they should. They are public figures running the country for heaven's sake, and need space to work whilst moving around ... saving time. Not going to argue further about it .. that's my unyielding opinion.
public figures running the country into the ground with dishonest expenses claims n the like, there all arrogant ******* is my unyeilding opinion. i remember one telling us to get on our bikes many years ago. nowt changes, apart from peoples memorys. Bikes fer the oiks, first class fer our betters, on yer own bike.

Last edited by cashman; 19-02-2010 at 19:15.
cashman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2010, 19:20   #8
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
Whether you think M.P.s should, or shouldn't be allowed first class travel privileges, there's one thing he's definitely bottom of the class in, and that's knowing when to keep your gob shut, so you don't look like an out of touch, elitist, jerk.
I do think they should but he is a fool to say what he said

This was the wrong thing to say
Quote:
He said he did not want to be forced in with those who had standard class tickets, adding: "They are a totally different type of people.
This was the right thing to say
Quote:
"There are lots of children, there is noise, there is activity and all I can say is I like to have peace and quiet when I travel because more often than not I am working and I want to concentrate."
By saying both he let us see what he really thinks.
Old 19-02-2010, 19:21   #9
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by K.S.H View Post
They are going to work, why cant they pay their own travel fares just like you and I do
I'm sure if your company moved your job position, but you would have to travel to London every week .. besides 'maybe' the increase in your salary, you would be asking for travel expenses.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2010, 19:21   #10
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

I think the expression running the country is stretching it a bit Katex, he's a Tory Politician, & much as people might wish it (or not after that outburst), on last looking Labour where "Running the Country" allegedly.

On top of that he really doesn't need to be doing his work on the train (paid for by the Taxpayer) as he's claiming for a place down south (also at the taxpayers expense). Cakes & eating ! (plus can you put several in a Doggy bag for the brood ?)
DaveinGermany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2010, 19:24   #11
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by K.S.H View Post
Good point. I pay to get myself to work and back but when they send me somewhere else they pay from my usual place to where they send me.

I think the MP's constituancy office should be classed as normal place and they should get free travel from there to wherever they need to go on public business. For me its all about normal people being able to become MP's and just just those who can afford to travel to and from London.
Old 19-02-2010, 19:27   #12
Full Member+

truth be told does he think riding in first class will get him there quicker also LOL
US Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2010, 19:28   #13
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinGermany View Post
Aah, isn't that nice. A true man of the people so long as they aren't Oiks & 'Erberts, Wayne & Waynetta's. There in all its officialdom we're different types of People. By that he must mean Honest/Upstanding/Hard working/Truthful & Genuine, unlike him & his cronies. I suppose that's why most of us wouldn't be suited to Bollictics.
He has got it right by saying those in 2nd class are different people.. almost all have paid for tickets out thier own pockets.. most in 1st class are paid by business or the tax payer.
Mancie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2010, 19:47   #14
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by US Angel View Post
truth be told does he think riding in first class will get him there quicker also LOL
Lol, exactly.

The only difference between first and standard class, besides a huge price difference, is you get a clean paper antimacassar in first class.

Oh and if you're travelling up from London, you've got further to walk to the exit, at your destination.

Which means any first class passengers are forced to wait in the cab queue, behind the hoi polloi, who they've so far tried to avoid.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2010, 19:50   #15
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
I'm sure if your company moved your job position, but you would have to travel to London every week .. besides 'maybe' the increase in your salary, you would be asking for travel expenses.
Er have they moved to London since he took that job
I'm sure it was there when he started , he applied for it knowing it was in London so he should pay his own fares

www.ubuntu.com

K.S.H is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..