Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-05-2005, 20:22   #1
I am Banned

fish and chip shop

the new fish and chip shop in corronation street serves chips in newspaper

wish our chippy still did but europe put the brakes on that
chav1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 09-05-2005, 20:49   #2
Senior Member+

Re: fish and chip shop

Maybe they haven't been told yet or its the MEN getting some sneaky advertising in!{product placement and all that!**
Old 09-05-2005, 20:59   #3
Foreign Correspondent

Given the content of some of the newspapers that I've seen, they are more suited to wrapping chips than reading. Of course, it is a bit upsetting when the ink transfers so badly that you can read the mirror image on the chips!

When in darkness or in doubt, visit Oswaldtwistle!
Billcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2005, 21:03   #4
God Member

I dont know why they banned newspaper, the chips are wrapped first in normal chippy paper anyway, or were when we had a chippy, they dont taste the same in those trays.
grego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2005, 21:09   #5
I am Banned

funny how they dont allow chips to be served in news paper because of health issues yet arnt too bothered about what chemicals go into our food
Old 09-05-2005, 21:09   #6
Foreign Correspondent

While I'm sure that the amounts you ingest are relatvely small, there are probably chemmicals in the inks that you are better off leaving on the newsprint.

Old 09-05-2005, 21:23   #7
I am Banned

well all i can say is i never once heard of anyone getting ill from it and the only reason it got stopped was because some twit in europe said somone could get ill from it

people who lick their fingers to turn newspaper pages dont just drop dead whiole reading the paper lol

the news paper never touched the chips but the heat from the chips gave off an aroma that smelt so damn good

i suppose you have to be old enough to remember it the younger folk just wont understand lol
Old 09-05-2005, 21:25   #8
Senior Member+

Actually i worked over here in a factory that supplied ink to Newspapers.Black ink was mostly comprimised of Oil and coal.Not many chemicals went in to it.White print had ammonia in it
Old 09-05-2005, 21:48   #9
Foreign Correspondent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mik Dickinson
Black ink was mostly comprimised of Oil and coal.Not many chemicals went in to it.White print had ammonia in it
Both coal and most oils are a complex mix of chemicals. Depends a bit, of course, on what kind of oil is being used, as there are many different types. Lots of not-so-good chemicals in coal. The quantities you would ingest certainly would not make you sick quickly. Longer-term exposure might not be a good thing. My wife used to work with a company that repaired printing equipment, and they had to handle some of the inks (in quantity) as hazardous substances.

Old 09-05-2005, 22:02   #10
Give, give, give member

How on earth does the aroma of the chips increase if they are wrapped in newspaper?

The chips l get are wrapped in plain paper and smell just fine.

It's also good because l don't leave inky fingerprints on everything l touch.

Wasn't it nice in the good old days when the earth was flat?

Ah, nostalgia- rickets, children in the mills, workhouses, chips in newspaper.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2005, 22:29   #11
I am Banned

i didnt say the chips aroma increased

i was trying to say the heat from the chips made the newspaper give of an aroma that when cobined with the smell of the chips was very nice indeed

i swear these nutcases will one day have us living in such a sterile enviroment that no one will have any immune system to fight of disseases

a bit of dirt never hurt anyone

unless that bit of dirt was plutonium :-)

Last edited by chav1; 09-05-2005 at 22:31.
Old 10-05-2005, 00:11   #12
Resident Waffler

Back in those days I don't think the ink came off the newspapers the same as it does now. I never remember having inky fingers, and yes I know exactly what you mean by the aroma given out by a hot bundle of chips in newspaper. It sort of came through the paper in a way that it doesn't come through the paper we get chips in these days.

And while we're talking about chip paper, why is it that the little bit of paper they put right next to the chips and fish sticks to them and brings all the batter off the fish but where they touch the other paper (because the small piece is so small it doesn't cover everything) nothing sticks? Why then do we need that little piece? It sticks to the tops of steak puddings too and sometimes even pulls the tops off!

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2005, 00:16   #13
Give, give, give member

l think the old ink was more likely to come off, posh people had their servants iron their paper so it didn't happen.

Was much better for getting your windows to shine though.

Last edited by garinda; 10-05-2005 at 08:19.
garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2005, 06:53   #14
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda
l think the old ink was more likely to come off, posh people had their servants iron their paper so it didn't happen.
In the old days, they did'nt use recycled paper
Anyone remember Len's chippy, just off willows lane. Best chips and fish by far.

Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.
Albert Einstein.

park381 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2005, 07:16   #15
God Member

I remember Len's chippy, damn fine stuff. But I always found him a bit intimidating, consequently, I always behaved myself in his shop.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..