Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-05-2005, 17:00   #1
I am Banned

Panopticon gets red light

The Cabinet have voted against the Panopticon [and the rings] but voted for regenerating the Coppice over the next three years with path improvements, picnic tables and litter bins and 'a successful landmark project to draw fund in'. [THIS HAS BEEN EDITED & CORRECTED APOLOGIES SEE BELOW]

Funding of £350k will come from a variety of sources including the Woodland Commission through the Friends of Arden Hall [as well as other pots of money] and Remade [which will only fund improvements as long as there is a Panopticon] and 'other sources'. No mention of maintenance.

Cllr Britcliffe said this was wonderful news, that the coppice didn't need a Panopticon, it was a panopticon in itself and that the Peel Monument would be cleaned up.

Forgot to mention it was unanimous decision by all 7 cabinet members and Cllr Griffiths [Bax] spoke of the stupidity of the Panopticon project, he wanted to see nothing at all up there and no artificial paths at which point Cllr Britcliffe said he had heard enough from him and the project had been passed.

Last edited by Graham Jones; 09-05-2005 at 17:21.
Graham Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 09-05-2005, 17:02   #2
I am Band

Thumbs up Re: Panopticon gets red light

Thank you for providing us with that information, Graham.

I feel that many people in Accrington and the surrounding districts were concerned that they would end up footing the bill for a half-baked piece of art, through an increase in their councill tax.
Another possible obstacle in peoples minds to accepting a panopticon was that the designs offered up were hardly inspiring, in my opinion.

May I enquire who the funding group 'Remade' are, and why they are stipulating that they are only prepared to release funds for regeneration of the coppice if a panopticon is part of the overall scheme?

Any ramblings, meanderings, thoughts or musings are mine and mine alone. Any opinions expressed are Lettie's!

Last edited by Sparkologist; 09-05-2005 at 17:08.
Sparkologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2005, 17:10   #3
Filthy / Gorgeous

Bejeweled Blitz Champion!
Re: Panopticon gets red light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham Jones
The Cabinet have voted against the Panopticon [and the rings] but voted for regenerating the Coppice over the next three years with path improvements, picnic tables and litter bins and 'a highly visible structure'.

Thanks for the info Graham. 'Highly visible structure????' Sounds like a panopticon of sorts to me, a wolf in sheep's clothing perhaps?

The views expressed here are my own and not necessarily those of my family, friends, employer, this site, my neighbours, hairdresser, dentist, GP, next door's dog or anyone else who knows me..
lettie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2005, 17:11   #4
God Member

Quote:
The Cabinet have voted against the Panopticon [and the rings] but voted for regenerating the Coppice over the next three years with path improvements, picnic tables and litter bins and 'a highly visible structure'.

Funding of £350k will come from a variety of sources including the Woodland Commission through the Friends of Arden Hall [as well as other pots of money] and Remade [which will only fund improvements as long as there is a Panopticon] and 'other sources'. No mention of maintenance.

Cllr Britcliffe said this was wonderful news, that the coppice didn't need a Panopticon, it was a panotiocon in itself and that the Peel Monument would be cleaned up.
Bloody Hell Graham......are your intel scorces the same as Tony Blair's? Only yesterday you're saying its going ahead, now you're saying its not.

Could you possibly tell us though what is a "highly visible structure" It's not a fancy term for a panopticon, is it? Is it a mobile phone mask? A wind turbine generator? A 50 ft bronze statue of Peter Britcliffe?
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2005, 17:15   #5
I am Band

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tealeaf
A 50 ft bronze statue of Peter Britcliffe?
Holy Samosas. I hope not!

Any ramblings, meanderings, thoughts or musings are mine and mine alone. Any opinions expressed are Lettie's!
Sparkologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2005, 17:19   #6
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by lettie
Thanks for the info Graham. 'Highly visible structure????' Sounds like a panopticon of sorts to me, a wolf in sheep's clothing perhaps?
APOLOGIES APOLOGIES APOLOGIES...

I thought I had thrown the report away but I found my original... quote....

It is a landmark that will be completed by 2006 and 'that a successful landmark project will be the catalyst for improvement works on the Coppice and Arden Hall'. The full cost of he project is £350k. Just possibly the Council have got Remade [LCC brownfield sites reclamation initiative funded by NWDA] to do the project outside of the Regional Park Agenda but I cant see that.

Cllr Griffiths was on about a highly visible object after the meeting and his suggestion was a metal? oak tree with 11 large acorns for the 11th battalion.

Last edited by Graham Jones; 09-05-2005 at 17:24.
Old 09-05-2005, 17:28   #7
land of hope and glory

Quote:
APOLOGIES APOLOGIES APOLOGIES...

I thought I had thrown the report away but I found my original... quote....

It is a landmark that will be completed by 2006 and 'that a successful landmark project will be the catalyst for improvement works on the Coppice and Arden Hall'. The full cost of he project is £350k. Just possibly the Council have got Remade [LCC brownfield sites reclamation initiative funded by NWDA] to do the project outside of the Regional Park Agenda but I cant see that.

Cllr Griffiths was on about a highly visible object after the meeting and his suggestion was a metal? oak tree with 11 large acorns for the 11th battalion.
CLLR GRIFFIITHS has the right idea but can it not be put outside of the market hall and it is a small price to pay for the 11th battallion. it would be better than the conquer trees that are there the c..p that the starlings leave is unbelieveable.
staggeringman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2005, 17:29   #8
God Member

Quote:
. The full cost of he project is £350k. .
Of course, if we had a decent penal policy in this country, we could have the thing - paths, etc - rebuilt for nowt. Just send a few chain gangs up there with a couple of hungary rottweilers.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2005, 17:30   #9
land of hope and glory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparkologist
Holy Samosas. I hope not!
wouldnt mind having a do at 50 samosas...lol
staggeringman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2005, 17:44   #10
I am Banned

Full Report

REPORT TO: CABINET
DATE: 9th May 2005
REPORT OF: Councillor P Britcliffe - Leader of the Council
REPORT BY: Peter Baron - Head of Leisure
COPPICE IMPROVEMENT AREA
1. PURPOSE OF REPORT
1.1 To inform Members of the proposals for the Coppice Improvement Area and to seek their approval for the project.
Approval of the report is not deemed a key decision. 2. RECOMMENDATIONS:
2.1 That the proposals are accepted and that planning permission is now sought.
2.2 That Officers be authorised to continue discussions with funding bodies and to submit appropriate funding bids.
3. BACKGROUND
3.1 The Coppice has been chosen as the site of one of six new architect/artist-designed landmarks for East Lancashire.
3.2 The project is being funded by the North Wet Development Agency (NWDA) and East Lancashire's Regional Park Programme, is being managed by the East Lancashire Environmental Arts Network (ELEAN) and led by Mid Pennine Arts (MPA)
3.3 A Hyndbum Advisory Group, Chaired by Councillor Brian Walmsley, has been set up and has been engaged in consulting with the community and interested groups in developing an appropriate design.
3.4 Following this period of consultation and after taking into account the views of the Council, groups and individuals, there have been significant changes to the previous proposal, including a completely different design incorporating facilities such as seats and picnic benches.
3.5 The next stage of the process, subject to Members accepting the proposed scheme, is for planning permission for the landmark to be applied for.
3.6 Subject to receiving planning permission it is proposed that the landmark would be constructed and completed during 2006.
3.7 Following discussions with other agencies, it is hoped that a successful landmark project will be the catalyst for improvement works on the Coppice and Arden Hall; funding through the East Lancashire Regional Park and REMADE to improve existing footpaths, partnership work with Friends of Arden Hall and Lancashire Wildlife Trust, with funding from the Forestry Commission, to improve access and carry out woodland improvements in the Arden Hall area, and the refurbishment of the Peel Monument on the Coppice through Local Heritage Initiative funding from the Heritage Lottery. That would be over £350k of funding which would provide a real green space regeneration package from Bumley Road across the Coppice to Plantation Street/Hodder Street (see attached plan for details). The timescale for the work would be two to three years, subject to securing external funding, and it could lead to the Coppice and Arden Hall area being designated a local nature reserve, which would be the largest of its kind in Lancashire.

4. CONSULTATIONS

4.1 A wide range of consultation has taken place during the past year with schools, community groups, through Area Council and with the general public.

5. REASONS FOR RECOMMENDATIONS

5.1 To allow the project to proceed in order to meet the timescale of the NWDA funding.

5.2 To allow Officers to maximise opportunities to secure external funding.

6. ALTERNATIVE OPTIONS CONSIDERED AND REASONS FOR REJECTION

6.1 None.

7. BUDGET IMPLICATIONS

7.1 It is anticipated that the full cost of the project (£350K) will come from external funding
sources.

7.2 Funding for revenue upkeep for the first three years will also come from external sources. After
this period, any revenue costs will be contained within existing budgets.

8. LINKS TO CORPORATE PRIORITIES

• Community Safety

• Housing & the Environment

• Culture & Leisure

9. LEGAL IMPLICATIONS

9.1 None.

10. LOCAL GOVERNMENT (ACCESS TO INFORMATION) ACT 1985

Panopticons - Cabinet 21st July 2004
Council - 2 March 2005
Old 09-05-2005, 17:58   #11
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by staggeringman
can it not be put outside of the market hall and it is a small price to pay for the 11th battallion. it would be better than the conquer trees that are there the c..p that the starlings leave is unbelieveable.
Nice thought but wrong place, I think it should be outside the town hall, not right outside, about 10 yards or so, yep you got it in the bus lane! that would stop all the drivers going through there and keep the accidents down, maybe they can incorporate it with some street art

www.ubuntu.com

K.S.H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2005, 20:47   #12
Beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by K.S.H
Nice thought but wrong place, I think it should be outside the town hall, not right outside, about 10 yards or so, yep you got it in the bus lane! that would stop all the drivers going through there and keep the accidents down, maybe they can incorporate it with some street art
Brilliant Idea K.S.H........I'll drink to that.
Margaret Pilkington is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2005, 22:11   #13
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

report appreciated graham,could this be the start of something good? i wonder!
Old 09-05-2005, 22:39   #14
I am Banned

lets put it into mathimatical terms and see cashman

good things happening + HBC + the PB factor = not bloody likely

sorry cashman no matter how i do the maths as soon as i introduce HBC into the equasion it all goes to crap
chav1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2005, 22:47   #15
Resident Waffler

This is beginning to sound much more sensible at last. Regeneration of the Coppice, path improvements, picnic tables and litter bins; cleaning up of the monument and restoration of the shelter would all be most welcome by me for one.

And as far as a landmark/visible structure/panopticon in sheep's clothing or whatever you want to call it the oak tree with 11 large acorns has got to be the best suggestion yet. At least "oak tree" says "Accrington" and specifically numbered acorns says that thought has gone into making a connection with the 11th battalion and not just throwing something out wildly about dips and ridges in the hope that gullible people would believe it. Yes, I think I could like that one.

I have one query which is will it be rustproof? A little while ago I noticed the Bocholt Tree in Rawtenstall looking decidedly worse for wear. Haven't been up there recently. Of course even a metal tree would be tempting to vandals but if the area were maintained then perhaps such actions could be kept in check. It's nice to live in hope anyway.

I do like the idea of the area becoming a nature reserve. Yes, I like that idea very much indeed.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..