Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-05-2005, 23:50   #1
Always EVIL within us

Why this Persecution of Christian England?

If I find an article of interest that I wish to put on the accy web, I would normally re-write it in my own words, but this article by columnist Peter Hitchens in the Mail hit a chord with me so I would like to quote him word for word...................

"How soon will it be before Christians are actively persecuted by the politically-correct State?

Athiest campaigners like to pretend that once Christianity is dethroned as the national religion we will all live happily ever after in a paradise of tolerance.

But I sense that as the church weakens, the authorities will seek to squeeze faith out of all public places and that individual Christians will feel increasingly wary about owning up to their belief in public.

God has already quietly been expelled from many schools which ignore their legal obligations to hold prayers, Church schools face growing problems over the "human rights" of employees who flout their rules, so that their Christian character is diluted and weakened.

Now comes the really serious instance of the Barnabas Houses, a Christian run shelter for the homeless in Norfolk which has been told it will lose Government grants supposedly because it is not "inclusive" enough.

Its offence is to insist on grace being said at mealtimes and to put bibles out for the homeless to read if they want. This is deemed not to be "inclusive."

Well, perhaps it isn't, but I don't see doctors surgeries getting in trouble for displaying great piles of Government propaganda sheets, or schools threatened with loss of cash for providing anti-christian sex education or leftist citizenship classes.

Of course we know that if a Muslim charity were providing the same service, while handing out copies of the Koran, forbidding alcohol and holding regular prayers, nobody would dare to complain. Perhaps the Barnabas Houses should convert to Islam and resubmit their application just to see what happens.

But that is not because the God-Haters who control so much of our public life approve of Islam either. It is because they will support any force that undermines, weakens or opposes the traditions of England.

The fascinating question is why they hate England so much."

I kept reading and re-reading this article as I found it so disturbing and I believe the point being made is that bit by bit, our beliefs and traditions are being eroded away leaving a gaping hole that will eventually be filled by external influences which are not addressed because of our good friends the "Do-Gooders" those that sit in judgement on what we say, do or think......

And isn't it nice to have a columnist that says that almost banned word "England!"
Old 09-05-2005, 00:27   #2
land of hope and glory

Re: Why this Persecution of Christian England?

this busman belongs on the thread what are they going to ban next!what do,or can we do about it jack....,what is great britain comming too.i can remember sitting at the table when i was younger and saying grace over the food that we are about to recieve and after the meal thank you lord and please may i leave the table,the problem these days is that there is no discipline any more that is why society is like it is.

Last edited by staggeringman; 09-05-2005 at 00:32. Reason: remembered summat else.
staggeringman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2005, 00:57   #3
Give, give, give member

It's a Muslim revenge for the crusades!!!

Agree for the first time ever in principle with Peter Hitchens, Christianity is being eroded. As for our heritage that goes back further than Christianity, Paganism was the first religion on these sceptered Isles.

Last edited by garinda; 09-05-2005 at 00:59.
garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2005, 00:59   #4
land of hope and glory

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda
It's a Muslim revenge for the crusades!!!

Agree for the first time ever in principle with Peter Hitchens, Christianity is being eroded. As for our heritage that goes back further than Christianity, Paganism was the first religeon on these sceptered Isles.
do you think we are going back to the dark ages then garinda?
Old 09-05-2005, 01:01   #5
Give, give, give member

Most Muslims seem to be dark so sadly perhaps we are!

Old 09-05-2005, 01:07   #6
I am Banned

even our own tony blair has abondoned christianity it seems

anyone esle remember at the begining of the iraq war he reasured the muslims by saying that he carried a copy of the koran with him at all times

dont remember him saying he carried a bible

edit:

also about 8 or 9 years ago we had a muslim mayor for a while and the pakistani flag was flown from the town hall while he was in the job so even the mayor at the time denied his britishness and prefered to be considered pakistani

Last edited by chav1; 09-05-2005 at 01:12.
chav1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2005, 01:19   #7
land of hope and glory

the trouble with us brits is we are too stiff upper lipped,do you celebrate st georges day no but we get leathered on st pats night,did we celebrate today ...i did...most people no,could not believe the amount of people that asked why all the union jacks up,is this because we have become a society of multi-cultural breed and forget about all those that died and some that survived for us,so we could have what we have now. god bless the men and women that lost there lives for us they must be spinning in there graves.
Old 09-05-2005, 01:26   #8
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by staggeringman
the trouble with us brits is we are too stiff upper lipped,do you celebrate st georges day no but we get leathered on st pats night,did we celebrate today ...i did...most people no,could not believe the amount of people that asked why all the union jacks up,is this because we have become a society of multi-cultural breed and forget about all those that died and some that survived for us,so we could have what we have now. god bless the men and women that lost there lives for us they must be spinning in there graves.

Not all of us have forgotten, my Grandad died aged 22 while my Nan was carrying my Mum. We'll never forget and wil lmake sure the next generation of our familiy doesn't either.

Like l said in your birthday thread, thanks Staggers for helping us to celebrate being English, l for one am very proud to be so.

Old 09-05-2005, 20:59   #9
Senior Member+

Excuse my ignorance here but how are schools providing "anti-Christian sex education"??
What is it and why do I know nothing about it?
Old 09-05-2005, 21:02   #10
I am Banned

anti christian sex education ...?

is that where you are taught only to sleep with muslims ...?
Old 09-05-2005, 21:07   #11
Foreign Correspondent

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindsay ormerod
Excuse my ignorance here but how are schools providing "anti-Christian sex education"??
What is it and why do I know nothing about it?
Can't speak for the situation in the UK, but the Christian Right in the US has been objecting to sex education of any kind in the schools. A lot of them have also tried to remove evolution from the curriculum. They also have objections to many books (the Harry Potter and Wizard of Oz series are on their bad list) and object to any discussions that do not conform with their opinions.

When in darkness or in doubt, visit Oswaldtwistle!
Billcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2005, 21:26   #12
I am Banned

all religeons have their nutcases

i swear at times they are merely competing with each other to see who can get the most stupid laws passed
Old 09-05-2005, 21:39   #13
Always EVIL within us

Quote:
Originally Posted by chav1
all religeons have their nutcases

i swear at times they are merely competing with each other to see who can get the most stupid laws passed
No, I think the competition is to see which religion can influence the most people......... The Catholics have been leaders in this field for decades but the Muslim leaders and the C of E are now giving them a good run for their money!

....and Lyndsay, I have absolutely no idea what is meant by " anti Christian Sex Education" It was another reason for quoting Peter Hitchins "word for word" as I may have misinterpreted him if I tried changing the words.....
Old 09-05-2005, 22:04   #14
Senior Member+

Well think about it, Catholics brought christianity to Britain and stompped on the druids and amazingly Jesus was born at a winter festival time and died at a spring festival time how good is that!!!!!! Next we get the Anglicans who are founded by Henry V111 because he could bring in divorce and also kill his wives, good basis for religion, his daughter Elizabeth add a few more things and headed towards a bit more conservative but the same basis so really no change.The muslims wanted thier own beliefs so along came a poor guy who said and did great things for the 800s but when he died no one could quite agree to who was to take over so they all split off and belived in different things hence the Sunnies and the Shiites.
So organized relgion is based on lies and fabrication sounds like something we should teach in school.
Now lets get started on the Catholic priests and thier little foybles

Bazf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2005, 23:07   #15
Resident Waffler

That's all very well but why is it OK to knock Christianity but very non-PC to criticise anything else? I think this is what Peter Hitchens is saying. For hundreds of years this has been a Christian country with freedom of religion but there now seems to be less freedom for Christianity than for other religions or non-believers. Why can't it simply be equal for all?

As for Barnabas Houses, well that organisation was formed by a Christian denomination so it hardly seems strange that they should wish to carry out a few simple Christian traditions. I don't think they would ever turn away a non-Christian in need of their help but being a Christian organisation why shouldn't they continue to say grace at mealtimes and offer a Bible to anyone who cares to read it? It's not as if they are forced to read several chapters before they are allowed to eat is it?

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..