Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree39Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 29-06-2013, 15:57   #31
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Re: Fracking - fame at last for Lancashire

Fracking hell, if Jack Straw says its good news were doomed.
MargaretR likes this.
Old 29-06-2013, 19:32   #32
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by susie123 View Post

Well Rob that brings your 15 up to 20, will that do? And well done Retlaw for getting a mention.
Why am I included in this list, and as a relic at that.
Went on a recall to the Docs on Friday, he says I'm doing well, he was surprised at at how low my blood pressure was for some one of my age, and gave me the all clear as long as I keep taking the pills.
No Jaysay before you start I don't have to take ugly pills like you do.
Some more thing to add to the list. Accy Web, Accrington Pals, the most famous Battalion in the country, Accrington War Memorial the largest memorial outside London. The 42nd Division at Gallipoli, all Lancashire Regiments.

Last edited by Retlaw; 29-06-2013 at 19:38.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2013, 00:10   #33

Fracking - fame at last for Lancashire

Well those positives don't outweigh the negatives. If they did I wouldn't be buying up entire buildings in Warner Street for only £20k each. I do though agree that some of the architecture is really nice. Just a pity that a lot of it has been allowed to go to ruin.
GEaston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2013, 00:23   #34

Fracking - fame at last for Lancashire

Enjoyed the lists and never expected to see mints, cake and other highlights.

Back to fracking, I'm glad that the vociferous attempts to attack me have resulted in a new enlightenment about a topic. That is actually beneficial because your coal reserves are just going to be set on fire where they are..... Can't see anything positive coming from that.
Old 30-06-2013, 02:27   #35
Senior Member+

Just think every time you eat fish and chips from a chippy - LANCASHIRE. Thats some crap to be proud of.
susie123 likes this.
Old 30-06-2013, 08:15   #36
JFT96

I see no one has mentioned Jon Anderson yet.....

A founder member of one of the greatest Prog Rock bands ever YES...
Turtle likes this.

Steve Hogarth, lead singer Marillion
Boeing Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2013, 08:44   #37
Beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by GEaston View Post
Well those positives don't outweigh the negatives. If they did I wouldn't be buying up entire buildings in Warner Street for only £20k each. I do though agree that some of the architecture is really nice. Just a pity that a lot of it has been allowed to go to ruin.
You asked for positives - we gave you a whole list...so stop being picky.

You should be glad you can pick up properties in Warner Street for such ridiculously low prices......it gives you the opportunity to tell us about it - and to make a profit. Isn't that positive enough for you?

Oh, yes...and another thing...... if the place were so damn negative - you'd be taking your money and spending it elsewhere....somewhere where those negative attributes you level at Accrington, are less noticeable.

Last edited by Margaret Pilkington; 30-06-2013 at 08:46.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2013, 11:43   #38
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boeing Guy View Post
I see no one has mentioned Jon Anderson yet.....

A founder member of one of the greatest Prog Rock bands ever YES...
The growth of 60's music..Hollies, Freddie and the Dreamers to name but two.
Lancashire League Cricket
Lancashire County Cricket Club.
Uncle Joes Mint Balls
Danny Boyle.

Point of order DinG... we lost the War of the Roses
DtheP47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2013, 11:47   #39
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mog View Post
D, I'm am not talking about domestic coal and neither is this thread. Modern coal mining which produces small clean coal for industrial use that is converted to coal dust in the mine and burnt at a power station at the pit bottom was an idea that I put forward to British coal years ago. You produce power on site and add it to the national grid. The idea was not to use coal for trains or domestic use but to produce power at a fraction of the cost of importing coal from all over the world. One day my friend. One day. No need to Frack.
Which bit of "the cost of acquisition" do you not understand Mog.
If it was more economical to do, it would be up there with fracking as a way to reduce our dependency on Oil and imports of gas and coals.
DtheP47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2013, 12:01   #40
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restless View Post
Just think every time you eat fish and chips from a chippy - LANCASHIRE. Thats some crap to be proud of.
Agree but will he be doing that in Singapore??
Old 30-06-2013, 12:04   #41
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by susie123 View Post
Agree but will he be doing that in Singapore??
Doubt it will just continue growing his head out yon.
Old 30-06-2013, 12:08   #42
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DtheP47 View Post
Point of order DinG... we lost the War of the Roses
Not in my history books we didn't, 1485 Battle of Bosworth field, Henry Tudor kicks butt of Richard III, final score Lancs 1 - Tykes 0.
Old 30-06-2013, 12:11   #43

Fair enough about all the things that Lancashire can be proud of but here's a tough question - what has come out of Hyndburn/Blackburn/Burnley in the last 20 years?

Accy born and bred but since I left my eyes have been opened to just how rundown the area is in comparison with other parts of the country... its sad and I can't see how its going to improve :-(
SamF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2013, 12:56   #44
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Yeh it has got run down sam, but were yeh comparing it too? many places i visit n there is quite a few,are also run down, depends what area of a place yeh venture in, no easy answer but thats the way it is.
Old 30-06-2013, 14:04   #45

Marge - it's far from a guarantee that I'll make any money on the properties. Renovation cost is substantial (tens of thousands for each building) because like so many properties in the town the previous owner let them to go to ruin. Not quite a pigeon coop like say the Conservative Club but not far off.

Once renovated who knows if I'll find a tenant, or a buyer. Noone wants to buy into the town - that's why the prices are as they are, but even then they don't attract buyers. Those Warner St properties failed to get any bids at 50k the pair the month before the auction I bought them (one of your best streets apparently), and the Hope & Anchor remains unsold after years at auction.

If I make a profit on it you'll begrudge it. If I don't you'll doubtless welcome that. However, in reality you should not look to the council or government to renovate the towns buildings - they won't do it and can't afford it. What the town needs is private people to take them on, preferably using local labour (exclusively in my case) and you should hope that they make some money on it to encourage them to take on other parts of the town.

Sam hit the nail on the head, a point that merits discussion particularly around solutions.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..