Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 20-05-2006, 19:31   #1
God Member

Freddie Garrity dead (Freddie and the Dreamers)

Sad to read another link to the swingin sixties passes on , surprised to read that the obituary gives his age a 69 yrs (maybe a mistake).

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/e...er/5000396.stm
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 20-05-2006, 19:49   #2
Passed away 25-11-09

Re: Freddie Garrity dead (Freddie and the Dreamers)

Well he was 65 all day on the BBC News.

I liked Freddie, he used to make me laugh. Sad to see yet another of my generation go.
Old 20-05-2006, 22:28   #3
white rabbits

He Was A Real Nutcase ,,he Was Often On At Burnley Cabaret Club ...before He Was Famous........r.i.p.
Old 20-05-2006, 22:36   #4
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by grannyclaret
He Was A Real Nutcase ,,he Was Often On At Burnley Cabaret Club ...before He Was Famous........r.i.p.
Yeh, G-C but I saw him at Burnley Mecca .. is that the same place ? and he was famous then... lots of fun, took the p*ss out of serious, tryin' to be cool and sexy singers. That's because he probably couldn't be with his slight figure, bottle bottom glasses and cheeky grin, but still very appealing. AAAgh wanted to take him home and feed him up. Very sad, eh ?
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2006, 22:54   #5
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

defo a mistake 69 he was born nov1940, used to love the guy- the dreamers wernt the best,and freddie wasn,t the best vocalist ever, but what a GREAT entertainer, will miss him R.I.P. :
Old 20-05-2006, 23:03   #6
white rabbits

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex
Yeh, G-C but I saw him at Burnley Mecca .. is that the same place ? and he was famous then... ?
No katex, The caberet club was an old picture house(Colisium)in Rosegrove.loads of acts were on there before they were real stars..
the mecca ballroom was in the centre of town,,oh memories of my youth
Old 20-05-2006, 23:06   #7
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
No katex, The caberet club was an old picture house(Colisium)in Rosegrove.loads of acts were on there before they were real stars..
sorry to wander is that were they used to have strippers sunday dinners granny? lol
Old 20-05-2006, 23:08   #8
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Pity there wasn't any camcorders then .. could have done a 'Before they were Famous' contribution. tee hee.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2006, 23:19   #9
Resident Waffler

He was a great entertainer and always seemed so happy and full of fun.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2006, 07:48   #10
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman
sorry to wander is that were they used to have strippers sunday dinners granny? lol
The Strippers were on at the Miners Club, (So I'm told)
Ernie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2006, 11:45   #11
God Member

A bit before my time but anything from the sixties changed the world. Hope he didnt suffer and he left with dignity. R.I.P Freddie.

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2006, 20:01   #12

Watched Freddy at the old Nelson Imperial....used to go there by coach regularly on Sat nights......watched some great groups there.....he was one of the best as entertaining.......laughed all night at his antics on stage.....he will be missed.....
talentedbutslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2006, 03:05   #13

Saw him when I used to work in the clubs in Sydney,( RSL Clubs ) , but never saw him in UK, ironicly I saw most of the 60s acts that way. RIP Fred.
Alan Gilmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2006, 19:19   #14
Super Moderator

A few years ago, there was a particularly condescending article about Stanley in a national paper. It commended the club on their revival, but finished with words to the effect that the prospect of Accrington Stanley getting back into the football league was about as likely as Freddie & the Dreamers getting to number one again. When the inevitable greatest hits CD comes out, let's all go and buy it and make one London journalist eat his words!
Old 22-05-2006, 19:37   #15
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris
A few years ago, there was a particularly condescending article about Stanley in a national paper. It commended the club on their revival, but finished with words to the effect that the prospect of Accrington Stanley getting back into the football league was about as likely as Freddie & the Dreamers getting to number one again. When the inevitable greatest hits CD comes out, let's all go and buy it and make one London journalist eat his words!
please name the paper wyn we have run out of bog roll.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..