Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 18-05-2006, 21:12   #1
Always EVIL within us

Cool Any Help at Asda?

Isn't it nice when going through the checkouts at Asda in Accy to be asked on every occasion: "Would you like help with your packing?"

The trouble is that those same words are uttered EVEN IF YOU ONLY HAVE ONE ITEM!

I can only assume that the staff have been instructed to say this to each customer with the threat of dismissal should they fail to comply.

Has anyone yet said "yes please" despite having just a few items? I think I will try this myself next time
Old 18-05-2006, 21:45   #2

Re: Any Help at Asda?

If on my own i always say "I wont need any help as long as you dont go too fast", but this generally annoys the other people in the queue
RossendaleRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2006, 22:02   #3
white rabbits

They always ask at Tesco's in cleveleys.. All the checkout girls are very helpful..
Old 18-05-2006, 22:10   #4
Resident Waffler

They ask at Morrisons in Morecambe too.

Must remember not to be there when Busman asks for help packing his one item!

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2006, 22:26   #5
Give, give, give member

Although people just spouting company speak is aggravating, I only shop at places where they pack my shopping for me. I have enough trouble getting them to believe my signature is actually mine, or alternatively end up throwing money all over the place thanks to my shakey hand.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2006, 22:26   #6
God Member

Wouldnt be so bad if they could pack the bags correctly. They ask it as though they have a quota of shoppers to get through in an hour.

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2006, 22:28   #7
Resting In Peace

I think it is another Americanism like "Have a nice day", "Thankyou call again" etc... to be honest I think that we are all being brainwashed and there is a hidden agenda to all this.
Ernie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2006, 22:28   #8
Give, give, give member

Not that I food shop there a lot, Marks and Sparks pack their goods well every time, and nothing ever gets squashed.

Old 18-05-2006, 22:33   #9
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernie
I think it is another Americanism like "Have a nice day", "Thankyou call again" etc... to be honest I think that we are all being brainwashed and there is a hidden agenda to all this.
I agree and it would be nice if some of these platitudes were said like they meant them, but I would much rather have that than bad manners, and even worse ne'er a please or thank you or kiss my arse, which sadly happens quite frequently.

I was served by a lady in the card shop in the Arndale on Tuesday (Birthdays?) and was very impressed by her manners and cheeriness, and told her she was an asset to the company because she was.

Old 19-05-2006, 00:09   #10

just to annoy them, once i bought some sugar and when they asked i said "yeah ok". freak the checkout girl.
kash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2006, 06:09   #11
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda
I have enough trouble getting them to believe my signature is actually mine, or alternatively end up throwing money all over the place thanks to my shakey hand.
Do they not let old chaps like you use chip 'n' pin?
Old 19-05-2006, 08:42   #12

I've been to two different Asda's down here and they always ask, i always say no as i would like to go home with un-squashed bread!! Although nothng against check out girls i used to be one for Safeway(now Morrisons) and we had to be trained on bag packing!!
Lisa82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2006, 08:53   #13
Resident Waffler

It's worst when the scouts do it as a fund raiser. They don't ask they just pack and put things in all wrong with heavy stuff on top of squishy stuff. I'd rather pay them not to pack!

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2006, 10:25   #14
God Member

If there are fund are fund raisers on the checkout I do a 180 and go back when they are not there.sqaushed bread broken biccies burst packets is all you get. I dont by stuff to have it thrown out. A burst shampoo bottle is the worst event so far.

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2006, 10:27   #15

I still tell them i'll do it myself but still stick a bit of change in the bucket
Lisa82 is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..