Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-03-2011, 13:21   #76
Common Sense Member

Re: Full Council - 1st & 9th March

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancsdave View Post
There's a comment from Hyndburn Indpendents after the article in the Telegrapgh

Aren't the Independents currently responsible for keeping Britcliffe in power ?
Not entirely.

Cllr Malcolm Pritchard is classed as Independent and stands completely alone.

The Independents in Hyndburn currently number three councillors and generally stand together.

http://hyndburn-labour.blogspot.co.uk/ - Updates from the Hyndburn Labour Group
Ken Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 09-03-2011, 13:40   #77
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
There's a comment from Hyndburn Indpendents after the article in the Telegrapgh

Aren't the Independents currently responsible for keeping Britcliffe in power ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
I thought that was the case...perhaps someone in the know will enlighten us.
I would have though the term Independents was wrong surely? We can be independant, (singular), but not Independents, (plural).

So we have a group of Independents, possibly independent of the independents that are at the moment on the Council working in cahoots with the very man the first group of Independents wish to depose.
We need to find out if the first group is independent of the second group of Independents and if perhaps they aren't are they independent enough? Or, have these independents now become a break away group of independents from themself?
Also, if they are truly independent no point voting for them as they could never work together, these people tend to be loners and like their independence.

Confused? so am I, that's the problem when you are just one individual attempting to understand none-party Politics, you have no-one to turn to for advice.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 16:01   #78

At least 1 of the Independent Councillors does not support Mr Britcliffe as an ex Labour Councillor. I think the rest may well be former Tory councillors, but don't quote me.
Old 09-03-2011, 16:30   #79
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by accysimon View Post
At least 1 of the Independent Councillors does not support Mr Britcliffe as an ex Labour Councillor. .
I thought it was the total opposite of what you just said. Wasn't it a bargaining tool for the Mayoral role.

Personally I think if anybody is elected under a party flag and cross the floor they should have another election.
Old 09-03-2011, 17:04   #80
Give, give, give member

Quote:
I thought it was the total opposite of what you just said. Wasn't it a bargaining tool for the Mayoral role.

Personally I think if anybody is elected under a party flag and cross the floor they should have another election.
Fairly sure the Independents, who were prevously members of other parties, stood as such in their last elections.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 17:43   #81
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
Fairly sure the Independents, who were prevously members of other parties, stood as such in their last elections.
I might be wrong G but I think the Independant in Gt Harwood who was elected as a Tory Dave Mason is up for election this year, but I may be wrong. of the 4 independants now on the council only Dave Mason was elected as a Conservative Simon
Old 09-03-2011, 18:24   #82
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
I might be wrong G but I think the Independant in Gt Harwood who was elected as a Tory Dave Mason is up for election this year, but I may be wrong. of the 4 independants now on the council only Dave Mason was elected as a Conservative Simon
Well if that's the case, like Dave, I think that's wrong.

Anyone, locally or nationally, elected under one party banner, who then jumps ship, should be made to fight a by-election.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 18:39   #83
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

You can follow the meeting online here

Live - Hyndburn Council meeting | Accrington Observer - menmedia.co.uk

Or you could follow watty08 on twitter

Last edited by Neil; 09-03-2011 at 18:41.
Neil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 18:41   #84
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
Think Spurs and Milan on telly in 5 minutes will be better entertainment, good night I'm off to watch the match
Old 09-03-2011, 18:49   #85
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
You can follow the meeting online here

Live - Hyndburn Council meeting | Accrington Observer - menmedia.co.uk

Or you could follow watty08 on twitter
Quote:
watty08:
plans for giant easter egg hunt in accrington town centre [via Twitter]
Whats the betting they are all hidden on the Market Hall balcony
Old 09-03-2011, 19:09   #86
God Member

Quote:
Whats the betting they are all hidden on the Market Hall balcony
and the prize is buy 3 cups of tea get the 4th half price ..

from the upstairs cafe

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 06:34   #87
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by accyman View Post
and the prize is buy 3 cups of tea get the 4th half price ..

from the upstairs cafe
Do they take party bookings
Old 10-03-2011, 07:00   #88

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
I know that Cllr Parkins stodd as an Independent at his last election. He had previously been a Labour Councillor but resigned after a fall out with their hierarchy and did not seek re election before standing as Independent a year later.
Old 10-03-2011, 07:18   #89
Common Sense Member

My motion to abolish council buffets was defeated. Cllr Britcliffe suggested that it was a back door for the Labour group to increase their expenses.

You may check my expense claims anytime you like, you won't find any meal claims and I have no intention of taking them in future.

My motion on writing to Royal Mail to reclassify the Hyndburn postcodes away from Blackburn was withdrawn as Cllr Britcliffe had coincidentally already had items of correspondence addressing both of my motions.

The Conservative amendment to my original motion was therefore not allowed and legal advice was sought as to whether I could do this.

I could.

Cllr Peter Clarke wrote to me on 4th March 2011 to complain that I had written on the local internet discussion forum Accrington Web about the £250,000 allocated to Rishton by the Leader of the Council for improvements to the area:

(See post 4 on 'Hyndburn 2m bonanza' thread)

Before I wrote this paragraph I failed to check my facts and have now been reassured by Cllr Clarke that no members of his family live on Norfolk Street. Therefore I wish to apologise unreservedly for making the statement on Accrington Web.

Cllr Peter Clarke told me in his letter that he considered the statement to be 'libel against (him) personally' and he asked that I apologise publicly to him in order to 'prevent legal action'.

I wish to confirm that I accept my statement about his personal connection with the playing field proposal in Norfolk Street is completely without factual basis and I wish to ask Cllr Clarke publicly to accept this sincere apology for the distress or embarrassment caused by my ill-founded remarks.

I trust that in complying with Cllr Clarke's request the matter can now be closed without resorting to legal action.

I also asked a question on notice:

Would the Leader of the Council confirm that he condones the £2,765.47 claimed by former Cllr Roy Atkinson as Chair of the Employment Committee between 2006 and 2010, despite the fact that this committee has not met since 2004?

Cllr Britcliffe's response suggested that as I was relatively new to council I may not understand fully how things work and that the fact that the committee had not met was an indicator of the good job that Cllr Atkinson had done in the role.

A supplementary question was disallowed by the Mayor for having no relevance to either the first question or the reply:

Can the Leader of the Council confirm that he claimed £1,073.25 as Chair of the Licensing Committee between 2007 and 2008 even though the committee did not convene in either of those years?

I stated that the connection was with members' allowances but accepted the Mayor's authority on this and sat down.

I also asked a second question on notice:

Would the Leader of the Council please verify the claim by Cllr Marlene Haworth in The Accrington Observer on 25th February that an extra 3,000 people have been brought into the town following Aldo Zilli’s appearance and explain how the council measured that figure?

Although the immediate response was to suggest that I was talking the town down while others were trying to talk it up, when asked a second time he indicated that there were several devices in the town centre to do this and that he was satisfied that anything Cllr Haworth had stated was true.

http://hyndburn-labour.blogspot.co.uk/ - Updates from the Hyndburn Labour Group

Last edited by Neil; 10-03-2011 at 08:19. Reason: adding posts together as Ken was having problems
Ken Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 07:44   #90
God Member

the sooner Festers out the better

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..