Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 14-09-2010, 17:12   #91
JCB

Re: Full Council Meeting - 14th September

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
I disagree but I do agree that a minutes silence would be respectful.
Yes that would be appropriate also . Maybe John Griffiths was one who would say that life goes on , so carry on with the work .

What would be inappropriate would be to use the demise of Councillor John Griffiths for party political ends .

I am not saying that this is the case , and I hope it never will be .
JCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 14-09-2010, 17:19   #92
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCB View Post
Yes that would be appropriate also . Maybe John Griffiths was one who would say that life goes on , so carry on with the work .

What would be inappropriate would be to use the demise of Councillor John Griffiths for party political ends .

I am not saying that this is the case , and I hope it never will be .
We were happy for the Council Meeting to be cancelled tonight in respect of John. But we feel one could have been arranged in the next two or three weeks. But as we have seen its not going to held now until December. Yet a Cabinet meeting is still going ahead this Thursday.
Bernard Dawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2010, 17:25   #93
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernard Dawson View Post
...a Cabinet meeting is still going ahead this Thursday.

That, unlike the meeting that was scheduled for today, is the one the public can attend...but can't air their views at?

Sounds about right.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2010, 17:58   #94

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
That, unlike the meeting that was scheduled for today, is the one the public can attend...but can't air their views at?

Sounds about right.
It is not only the public who can not air their views, it is entirely up to the chair of the meeting (our illustrious Leader of the Council) who apart from Cabinet Members can speak. If opposition councillors are allowed to speak only one can comment on any item (and then it is usually only if they are agreeing with the controlling group). When Graham Jones attempted to speak twice on an issue (about the planting of trees on the Coppice - on which he knew the answer to Peter's question) he was told (in no uncertain terms) that he had spoken once (so was not allowed to speak again)so Marlene Haworth would find out the answer. Graham said but I know the answer but Peter just adjourned the meeting for 10 minutes because of Graham's bad behaviour. I honestly think Peter thinks he can control the Cabinet meeting in the same fashion he controlled a class, when he was teacher.

If you want to see how democracy does not work in Hyndburn, please come on Thursday at 11 am to witness the farce, which is a meeting of Hyndburn Borough Council's Cabinet meeting.
claytonender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2010, 18:04   #95
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by claytonender View Post
It is not only the public who can not air their views, it is entirely up to the chair of the meeting (our illustrious Leader of the Council) who apart from Cabinet Members can speak. If opposition councillors are allowed to speak only one can comment on any item (and then it is usually only if they are agreeing with the controlling group). When Graham Jones attempted to speak twice on an issue (about the planting of trees on the Coppice - on which he knew the answer to Peter's question) he was told (in no uncertain terms) that he had spoken once (so was not allowed to speak again)so Marlene Haworth would find out the answer. Graham said but I know the answer but Peter just adjourned the meeting for 10 minutes because of Graham's bad behaviour. I honestly think Peter thinks he can control the Cabinet meeting in the same fashion he controlled a class, when he was teacher.

If you want to see how democracy does not work in Hyndburn, please come on Thursday at 11 am to witness the farce, which is a meeting of Hyndburn Borough Council's Cabinet meeting.
He has special needs.

Ooops.

Special needs teacher training.

Old 14-09-2010, 18:16   #96
Resting in Peace

Its just like a mirror image of the Labour Council under Brother George, when ALL decisions were made behind closed doors and full council was just a rubber stamping exercises
Old 14-09-2010, 18:22   #97
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Its just like a mirror image of the Labour Council under Brother George, when ALL decisions were made behind closed doors and full council was just a rubber stamping exercises
So, two wrongs make a right, in your book?

We're living in the here, and now.

Old 14-09-2010, 18:25   #98
Common Sense Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gynn View Post
So it's not just Peter you are up against!

Because next week is not possible, the meeting is held over for 3 months. What about the week after next or the week after that?

The Mayor must be a very busy man!
Not strictly speaking.

The Mayor is actually doing a good job of trying to maintain a level of dignity within the council despite one particular councillor exerting undue pressure on him to conform to his way of vot...er, thinking.

Cancelling the full council as a mark of respect wasn't objectionable but the Leader's refusal to reschedule it during September when the fate of the Market Hall hangs in the balance and almost certain defeat loomed in the air smacks of what Miles would call 'jerrymandering'.

The Chief Executive is also doing a good job holding the tatters of Hyndburn Council together whilst being duty bound to execute the controlling group's wishes. Hyndburn would have long ago passed the point of collapse if it weren't for his influence.

We all know the real reason for cancelling the full council and that would be the likely demise of the Area Management calendars. Think of all those lovely lovely votes from people just panting for Britcliffe's face to burst through their door every Christmas.

Just like The Shining....

http://hyndburn-labour.blogspot.co.uk/ - Updates from the Hyndburn Labour Group
Ken Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2010, 18:36   #99
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
So, two wrongs make a right, in your book?

We're living in the here, and now.

And some times you lot are living in cloud cuckoo land anyway thought you were at a meeting tonight
Old 14-09-2010, 18:44   #100
Common Sense Member

Quote:
And some times you lot are living in cloud cuckoo land anyway thought you were at a meeting tonight
We would have been, John. Gladly and with massive bells on, only Brother Peter has used an extremely sad event for political gain.

I'm going to be tactful, but there's no easy way to break it to you what Cllrs Britcliffe and Haworth are doing:

THE MARKET HALL IS GOING TO DIE BECAUSE OF THE HYNDBURN CONSERVATIVES

The olive branch was offered, we really really wanted to work with them and get it right, but no. They are playing with people's lives and killing off a 120 year old Hyndburn resident due to insatiable megalomania.

This goes way beyond silly party differences, the borough has a problem.

Old 14-09-2010, 18:45   #101
JCB

Quote:
For quite a while now I have doubted the need for party politics in local government .
I am pleased we have 4 Independents , and I hope they remain independent and increase in number .

It's true about the mirror image , which is a result of the party political system .

In its turn the mirror image is a mirror image of Westminster . Both Labour and Conservative Prime Ministers are more and more presidential.

I miss the likes of George Brown , Enoch Powell , Aneurin Bevan , and Michael Heseltine . I might not have agreed with them , but they stood out as their own men , and brought colour to politics .
Old 14-09-2010, 18:49   #102
Give, give, give member

Quote:
'You lot'?

'Uber-liberal Tory toy boys'?

Old 14-09-2010, 18:54   #103
JCB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Moss View Post
We would have been, John. Gladly and with massive bells on, only Brother Peter has used an extremely sad event for political gain.
That is a serious thing to say in the circumstances .

What has Peter Britcliffe said and done to justify your words ?

I am in no way doubting your integrity , but for the sake of the Joe Publics like me would you flesh it out a bit ?
We have a right to be put in the picture .
Old 14-09-2010, 18:59   #104
Common Sense Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCB View Post
We have a right to be put in the picture .
Read the thread, old boy.

Cancel tonight's meeting as a mark of respect, no one has a problem with that.

Refuse to rearrange a replacement until December, after the by-election and when the motions at tonight's meeting (most likely ending in defeat for the Conservatives) will be redundant?

Defend that.

Old 14-09-2010, 19:15   #105
JCB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Moss View Post
Read the thread, old boy.

Cancel tonight's meeting as a mark of respect, no one has a problem with that.

Refuse to rearrange a replacement until December, after the by-election and when the motions at tonight's meeting (most likely ending in defeat for the Conservatives) will be redundant?

Defend that.
I have no need to defend it . I was not criticising you , just seeking clarification .

If what I read in the thread is true , this is a sad day for Hyndburn .

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..