Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 28-07-2010, 10:40   #31
God Member

Re: Garden Snails for Breakfast!

If you are starving, you will eat anything.

Early in his career my son spent several weeks in China and was amazed at the strange things they ate.

He rationalised it by adding that the population is enormous and food resources are limited - hence they eat anything that provides nourishment.

He related an incident in a university canteen where the two men on the adjacent table were served with dishes with lids. They lifted the lids and rapidly put the contents in their mouths because whatever it was they were eating was still alive and wriggling.
They then crunched, and spit out what looked like the legs of something.

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 28-07-2010, 17:31   #32
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
If you are starving, you will eat anything.

Early in his career my son spent several weeks in China and was amazed at the strange things they ate.

He rationalised it by adding that the population is enormous and food resources are limited - hence they eat anything that provides nourishment.

He related an incident in a university canteen where the two men on the adjacent table were served with dishes with lids. They lifted the lids and rapidly put the contents in their mouths because whatever it was they were eating was still alive and wriggling.
They then crunched, and spit out what looked like the legs of something.
Bloody hell Margaret I've just had mi tea
Old 28-07-2010, 23:49   #33
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
In order to be sure that garden snails are fit to eat you have to be sure that their guts are free of nasty stuff - which involves feeding them in a controlled environment for several days before - which sort of defeats the object of 'free food'
That's true but I suppose all meat has to be carefully looked after to get it to the stage where it can be eaten - pigs, hens, cows and so on.

It was on This Morning last Saturday this chef was cooking up garden snails with Philip Scohfield and Holly Willoughby - she was very perturbed by it. But Phil said they were really tasty - I'm going to try it once - but last time I ate an eel I caught I was nearly sick - I couldn't get the smell of it's guts out my head and the way it's head was puffing up and down when I cut if off - squeamish!
kestrelx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2010, 23:54   #34
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Bloody hell Margaret I've just had mi tea
What was that? Raw liver
Old 29-07-2010, 09:28   #35
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by kestrelx View Post
What was that? Raw liver
Na a Porterhouse Steak, when asked how I liked it I just said take the horns of and wipe its arse
Old 02-08-2010, 21:19   #36
Senior Member+

Ha ha ha - just call me desperate dan! Man! Seriously when I buy liver I eat a bit of it raw as it's supposed to have lots of iron in it and it tastes quite good raw but only in small amounts!
Old 02-08-2010, 21:32   #37
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retlaw View Post
Folk must be dammed hard up for sumat to eaght if thur ten to chompin on slugs an snails, ad suuner ev dry bread an water.
Retlaw
Thing with snails is that most of the meat you eat is actually their entrails I think - lot of work - you have to keep em alive in a container for 7 days, wash them at least once a day and clean them out every day before putting them in the fridge which makes them go in their shells. Then you kill them by dropping them in boiling water - boil for up to 1 hour to prepare them to eat! Lot of effort for not much return really.
Old 03-08-2010, 05:37   #38
God Member

Quote:
Thing with snails is that most of the meat you eat is actually their entrails I think - lot of work - you have to keep em alive in a container for 7 days, wash them at least once a day and clean them out every day before putting them in the fridge which makes them go in their shells. Then you kill them by dropping them in boiling water - boil for up to 1 hour to prepare them to eat! Lot of effort for not much return really.
Well in that case to eat them you have to be addicted to them like the funny folk over the channel.

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 09:27   #39
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Ha ha ha - just call me desperate dan! Man! Seriously when I buy liver I eat a bit of it raw as it's supposed to have lots of iron in it and it tastes quite good raw but only in small amounts!
kest(Hannibal Lecter)relx
Old 03-08-2010, 09:29   #40
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Sounds like you've had plenty of practice
Old 10-08-2010, 18:52   #41
Senior Member+

Quote:
Sounds like you've had plenty of practice
ha ha - I was going to try it, after seeing it on "This Morning"and had some snails for a few days in a container, it just seemed too much work purifying them, to make it worth while for a small meal - so I chucked them in the bin. I've never eaten a snail in my life, I think they are a bit like whelks or similar fare?

As for Liver - give me a nice Chianti to wash it down with!

Last edited by kestrelx; 10-08-2010 at 18:54.
Old 10-08-2010, 19:00   #42
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPUGGIE J View Post
Well in that case to eat them you have to be addicted to them like the funny folk over the channel.
No Spuggie I've never eaten a dirty snail in all my life! I suppose you can buy them in jars in some delicatessens somewhere in this country.
Old 10-08-2010, 19:15   #43
God Member

Quote:
No Spuggie I've never eaten a dirty snail in all my life! I suppose you can buy them in jars in some delicatessens somewhere in this country.
Pass never been looking for them. Mussels welks cockels winkles are as far as I would go.

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 09:52   #44
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPUGGIE J View Post
Pass never been looking for them. Mussels welks cockels winkles are as far as I would go.
I draw a line after shrimps and cockles, and now I can't even have them either
Old 25-08-2010, 00:09   #45
Senior Member+

Quote:
I draw a line after shrimps and cockles, and now I can't even have them either
Why is that Jaysay? Bowel problems

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..