Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 26-01-2007, 20:54   #1
God Member

gay adoption

OK ... i have not seen any posts on this so here goes.
New anti discrimination laws are to be brought in that say gay/lesbian couples have the same rights as any other potential parents when applying to adopt children. The Catholic Church, seemigly backed up by the Church of England, say they should be exempted from the law..
Should "exemptions" be made ? or not?
Mancie is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 26-01-2007, 20:57   #2
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Re: gay adoption

in a word NO.
Old 26-01-2007, 20:59   #3
God Member

i totally agree with gay adoptions, my aunt is gay and if she was young enough she would adopt.....why shouldnt any gay person whether they be male or female bring a child up??? i think its pathetic what the church thinks, you have druggies and alcoholics bringing children up and not a word is ever said about them, gay people would give any child a loving and secure home....BOLL*X to the church
Old 26-01-2007, 21:00   #4
Resting in peace

It seems to me Mancie that the two churches you mentioned in the thread need to 'clean' their acts up before 'pontificating' on other groups.
Ianto.W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2007, 21:02   #5
God Member

'yeah' 'you' 'tell' 'um' 'ianto'
Old 26-01-2007, 21:28   #6
Beacon of light

There is good and bad in all of us, no matter what sexual orientation.
I think the Churches that have been cited, are objecting to placing children for adoption with same sex couples because their(the Churches) doctrines are against it. So it is against their teachings, and therefore they feel it would be hypocritical of them to go against their teachings. The muslim faith is also against such a practice. Presently, although the Catholic Church will not allow adoption of children from the Catholic faith to be adopted by same sex couples.....they will however, direct them to adoption agencies that have no qualms about sexual orientation of adoptive parents. This is a practical response to a theological and social problem.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2007, 21:35   #7
God Member

Margaret may I say a great response.. but can you explain the "theological and social problem" you stated?
Old 26-01-2007, 21:42   #8
Beacon of light

The Catholic and Church of England have the theological problem - inasmuch as they see homosexuality as a sin.....same sex people cannot reproduce...marriage was formulated for procreation.
Same sex couples have the social problem of being discriminated against by the religious groups(where adoption is concerned anyway). I hope that will clarify the point that I was trying to make.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2007, 21:49   #9
God Member

I'm fairly sure that couples who decide to adopt do not go into it lightly, perhaps even more so gay couples. Any couple who chooses to go through the adoption process gets vetted and analysed - couples who do it the more conventional way don't have to be processed before having children.

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2007, 21:53   #10
God Member

Fair enough..but I would say that the piont about procreation is a weak argument in the case of people adopting children, as most who adopt can not have thier own kids because of one thing or another.
Old 26-01-2007, 21:56   #11
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gayle View Post
I'm fairly sure that couples who decide to adopt do not go into it lightly, perhaps even more so gay couples. Any couple who chooses to go through the adoption process gets vetted and analysed - couples who do it the more conventional way don't have to be processed before having children.
It looks like as soon as you are classed as "gay" you are excluded in the adoption process in the Catholic church.. its strange.. but from what I've seen from interviews on the news Chatholic bodies are backing up the church in this..OK speaking for myself i have not read every page of the bible but I've not seen anything that says gay/lesbian bods should not adopted children.

Last edited by Mancie; 26-01-2007 at 22:06.
Old 26-01-2007, 21:57   #12
Resting in peace

Quote:
Gayle, couples who do it the more conventional way don't have to be processed before having children.
Sorry Gayle but can you please enlighten an old geriatric what the 'conventional' way is.
Ianto.W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2007, 22:00   #13
Super Moderator

Crikey, Ian, you can't have forgotten!
Old 26-01-2007, 22:05   #14
God Member

Perhaps it's been a long time!

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2007, 22:10   #15
God Member

and just a after thought.. I havent heard of any Muslim protests in the case.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..