Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 26-01-2007, 22:12   #16
Super Moderator

Re: gay adoption

Neither have I, but have you ever heard of any muslim adoption agencies?
Old 26-01-2007, 22:13   #17
Resting in peace

Like i've told you before the present incumbant wife says i'm a very important man.

Last edited by Ianto.W.; 26-01-2007 at 22:15.
Ianto.W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2007, 22:14   #18
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mancie View Post
and just a after thought.. I havent heard of any Muslim protests in the case.
muslims are against it same as c/e and catholics, it said on 6-00 news.
Old 26-01-2007, 22:22   #19
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post
Neither have I, but have you ever heard of any muslim adoption agencies?
Hey I can't say I have.. but I have you heard of them openly trying to get out of the law in this case?
Mancie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2007, 22:24   #20
God Member

Have they(muslims) written letters to every MP to get exemptions?
Old 26-01-2007, 22:28   #21
Super Moderator

Well, surely they don't need to. If there are no muslim adoption agencies, then there won't be any same sex couples applying to them to adopt?
Old 26-01-2007, 22:30   #22
Resident Waffler

This is another one of those situations where I know what I mean in my head but I'm not sure it will come out right on the page - but here goes.

Like Margaret said, the Catholic church's doctrine is that homosexuality is wrong. At present the Catholic church does not offer children for adoption by gay or lesbian couples. They have never said that they do not believe that gay or lesbian couples, or even single gay or lesbian people, would not make loving parents. What they have said is that supporting the adoption of child by such people goes against the Catholic principle of marriage between a man and a woman and the child having a Mum an a Dad.

They have never at any time told gay or lesbian couples that they should not adopt and in fact have always directed such couples to other agencies which have no conflict of interests.

The new legislation would seek to force the Catholic adoption agencies to go against their own principles and force them to do something which they feel they cannot do and so their only option under those circumstances would be to close down. They have never at any time said they would stop referring people to other agencies. They have never at any time said that they want to stop gay and lesbian couples from adopting children.

This anti discrimination measure is pro gay rights, but by insisting on something which is not actually necessary they are in fact denying the rights of another group. The best solution in my opinion would be for everyone to be permitted to act according to their own conscience - which actually what we have at present and which works. If it ain't broke why fix it?

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2007, 22:32   #23
Foreign Correspondent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mancie View Post
OK ... i have not seen any posts on this so here goes.
New anti discrimination laws are to be brought in that say gay/lesbian couples have the same rights as any other potential parents when applying to adopt children. The Catholic Church, seemigly backed up by the Church of England, say they should be exempted from the law..
Should "exemptions" be made ? or not?
I would also say NO. Shouldn't adoption really be a civil matter, where the adoption agencies and the courts try to do what is best for the child? Really, I'm not sure why the churches would be involved. Of course, I am an American. Unlike the UK, we do not have a state religion.

Of course, if the child is old enough at the time of adoption to provide input into the process (whether it be the choice of adoptive paretns or choice of religion), the courts should certainly take that input under consideration.

When in darkness or in doubt, visit Oswaldtwistle!
Billcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2007, 22:45   #24
Give, give, give member

Firstly, if we are to be tolerant of all faith, I suppose the law should also be there to protect Catholic's views.

Secondly, as was hinted at earlier, it would perhaps be more prudent for the Catholic Church to first put their house in order, before worrying too much about the morality of same sex couples adopting children. The present Pope before he became Il Papa, was one of the most senior people who tried to silence the voices of the literally thousands of children who have been abused by it's priests. To me denying, and trying to cover up child abuse, is a much worse crime than letting same sex couples adopt a child.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2007, 22:49   #25
Resident Waffler

It's a different subject but I agree that covering up child abuse is inexcusable.

Old 26-01-2007, 22:49   #26
Resting in peace

We have an outfit here called 'The Social Services' Billcat they are a different kettle of fish alltogether, they are the can of worms that get involved when it does come court time, the plot doesn't half thicken then, not only does religion come into it, same race black kids must go to black parents half caste kids must go to half caste parents (to prevent an identity crisis) adopting children in this country is like a one leged man trying to win an arse kicking contest.

Last edited by Ianto.W.; 26-01-2007 at 22:54.
Ianto.W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2007, 22:50   #27
God Member

So.. back to the same question .. should we allow "exemptions" or not?
Old 26-01-2007, 22:51   #28
Resident Waffler

I'm not sure how strict they are on racial mix now but 20 years ago they used to try to match a child with the exact same racial mix as the natural parents which often resulted in some children never finding parents.

Old 26-01-2007, 22:53   #29
Resident Waffler

I don't see any benefit in trying to force the Catholic adoption agencies to act against their principles, all that will mean is that they will close down and then what will happen to the children?

Old 26-01-2007, 22:58   #30
Give, give, give member

I have no great thoughts on adoption.

I just know if I was ten and living in care, I'd much rather live with two people that loved me, and made me feel part of a family, regardless of their gender.

We must also remember that there are still more children and young people in care in the UK, than there are people willing to adopt them.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..