Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 21-08-2008, 22:12   #31
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Re: GCSE Results

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashytart View Post
WOAH that sounds scarily like my life

now stop being all philosophical Mr and bring uncle cashy back please
sorry flashy, always get a bit that way when ive bin to a mates funeral.but fear not, will do me disco tomoz n come back ignorant as sin.
Old 21-08-2008, 22:14   #32
God Member

lol, daft sod
Old 22-08-2008, 04:58   #33
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickelson View Post
Anyone Else Pick Theres Up ?

I Got 2 A*'s, 4 A's, 2 B's, 4 C's, 3 D's, 2 E's

Failing Maths lol
Not to good at English either
Benipete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2008, 09:24   #34
God Member

Well not been on since my son got his but I am so proud of him...

He got
1 A
6 B's (4 of which were only a few marks of an A)
3 C's

Met all his entrance requirements to go to Clitheroe Grammar and is now set to do English combined, History, Sociology & economics at A level

Well done Ben from a very, very proud mum

I know this may come as a shock but believe it or not all views I may air on here are my own work!!!!!
harwood red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2008, 11:53   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazey View Post
Uni's will take into account all four if your aiming for the best uni's. Everyone knows that universities are struggling to pick out the best as it is without ignoring peoples results.

They only ignore the 4th if it is something like critical thinking/general studies etc, but even they can be taken into account if your three A levels just happen to miss the University's offer, so try hard in everything.

Also Nickelson, did school teach you to write sentences with every single word beginning with a capital letter? I don't really know how you can be bothered to do that!
With those grades it doesn't look like Oxbridge UCL or Imperial are going to be the aim - no offence meant at all Nick and if that is your aim then go for it... and the others don't look at more than 3 as there are colleges which only allow students to take 3 A levels and it would discriminate against those.

Uni's will have the A* grade and the difficulty of the subjects to judge from.
SamF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2008, 12:21   #36
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickelson View Post
A-Levels , Economics,English Lit,Geography,Computing
Say hello to Mr Ventress for me at burgers. He's the most eccentric English Lit teacher you will ever come across. Utter legend!

Well done and good luck.
shakermaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2008, 12:29   #37
I am Banned

congratulations to all x
keetah992000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2008, 13:12   #38
Senior Member+

i'm confused.........do uni's not look at how many points you have, which is determined by the grades you got?

I finally found someone daft enough to marry me, my wonderboy is 11, my monkeygirl is 3 and my bananaman is 2, my beautiful little flower was born in feb 2012
emamum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2008, 13:16   #39
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by emamum23 View Post
i'm confused.........do uni's not look at how many points you have, which is determined by the grades you got?
It tends to be the universities that are toward the bottom end of the league tables that only ask for points as the grades required are so low. For example I would've got into Liverpool Hope even if I hadn't taken my final exams because all I needed was 240 points which equates to about 3 E grades.
Old 22-08-2008, 13:42   #40
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakermaker View Post
It tends to be the universities that are toward the bottom end of the league tables that only ask for points as the grades required are so low. For example I would've got into Liverpool Hope even if I hadn't taken my final exams because all I needed was 240 points which equates to about 3 E grades.
then that begs the question, should people be getting into any uni,with such low marks? aint being funny, just asking.
Old 22-08-2008, 18:23   #41
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by harwood red View Post
Well not been on since my son got his but I am so proud of him...

He got
1 A
6 B's (4 of which were only a few marks of an A)
3 C's

Met all his entrance requirements to go to Clitheroe Grammar and is now set to do English combined, History, Sociology & economics at A level

Well done Ben from a very, very proud mum
Well done Ben.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2008, 19:31   #42
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
then that begs the question, should people be getting into any uni,with such low marks? aint being funny, just asking.
In my eyes it's down to the government's focus on exam passes rather than good teaching. It follows from worthless GCSEs, to A-levels (or equivalents to A-levels ), to worthless degrees at obscure universities. All to make 'Education, Education, Education' look like a success.
Old 22-08-2008, 20:45   #43
Senior Member+

lol, i'll be doing my degree at burnley (eventually) its not exactly a top uni is it?

I finally found someone daft enough to marry me, my wonderboy is 11, my monkeygirl is 3 and my bananaman is 2, my beautiful little flower was born in feb 2012
emamum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2008, 21:58   #44
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakermaker View Post
In my eyes it's down to the government's focus on exam passes rather than good teaching.
I think you mean, 'rather than on good education'. Good teaching (knowing the syllabus and the exam structure inside out and teaching directly to that specification) is one of the main factors for the increasing success rates year on year.

Whether that is what education should be about is another matter entirely.
Old 22-08-2008, 23:08   #45
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Monkey View Post
I think you mean, 'rather than on good education'.
Sorry you're right; I did mean that.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..