Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 13-08-2008, 18:13   #1
God Member

Genetically modified crops

The report about the experimental/controlled growing in Uk is due out tomorrow,
and our government will then decide whether or not to allow it to be permitted nationwide.

The purpose of genetic modification is to make the crop resistant to herbicides,
so that they can grow whilst intensively sprayed but the weeds will die.
The weeds are essential for insects, birds, bees and butterflies.

I object to use of herbicides, which will pass poison into the food produced.
At the same time, I am aware of worldwide food shortages, and this will increase food production.

So we have Hobsons choice - die of starvation or toxic poisoning
BBC NEWS | Science/Nature | GM study shows potential 'harm'

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 13-08-2008, 20:52   #2
God Member

Re: Genetically modified crops

Prince Charles dosent like the idea of GM food crops..but then he's not likely to go starving is he?
Mancie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2008, 23:59   #3

Food that will grow anywhere resistant to everything and x10000 bigger what we have now - tbh i think those starving will be willing to take the risk.
SamF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2008, 00:32   #4
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamF View Post
Food that will grow anywhere resistant to everything and x10000 bigger what we have now - tbh i think those starving will be willing to take the risk.
There are 1000's of acres of uncultivated land what the hell is wrong with growing your own.
Benipete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2008, 02:11   #5
God Member

and ..lets be honest..there are bods on here that would like to genetically rearrange human beings by sterolosation..because they regard some new borns as "unwanted"
Mancie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2008, 05:04   #6
God Member

kind of an odd anomaly but it seems when food is scarce the birth rate goes up, so I guess obesity eventually leads to infertility .
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2008, 07:03   #7
Loz

I thought the amount of hebicides and other toxins used on crops was at a safe level for human consumption?
We have eaten crops for years which are sprayed with god knows what and we having been killed off yet!
I might be getting mixed up with something else though so apologies if thats the case i'm still half asleep!
Old 14-08-2008, 08:02   #8
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loz View Post
I thought the amount of hebicides and other toxins used on crops was at a safe level for human consumption?
We have eaten crops for years which are sprayed with god knows what and we having been killed off yet!
I might be getting mixed up with something else though so apologies if thats the case i'm still half asleep!
I can answer that with this link
No such thing as "safe" levels of contamination | Rodale Institute
Low levels of toxins accumulate in the body gradually and cause ill health and sometimes death eventually

Old 14-08-2008, 08:08   #9
Loz

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
I can answer that with this link
No such thing as "safe" levels of contamination | Rodale Institute
Low levels of toxins accumulate in the body gradually and cause ill health and sometimes death eventually
It made interesting reading and is certainly food for thought if you pardon the expression!
Why is it still allowed to be done if it can potentially be damaging?
Old 14-08-2008, 08:13   #10
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loz View Post
It made interesting reading and is certainly food for thought if you pardon the expression!
Why is it still allowed to be done if it can potentially be damaging?
That is the question of the year
The profits of the multinational companies who produce the poisons have priority over the health of the population.

Old 14-08-2008, 09:31   #11
Senior Member+

I was listening to a programme on R4 the other day concerning farming and food production in the UK. They were discussing the issues of being able to feed the world and the way that farming in the UK isn't really making the most of what we have. This isn't the farmers' fault.

Anyway, one suggestion was that better use could be made farming in the UK if we worked on a global level. For example, rather than trying to farm crops in Africa, where it's hard to arable farm due to the climate, you farm nothing but arable crops in countries where the climate is more suitable e.g. Western Europe for example. That would mean that we'd farm hardly any animals (that would be done elsewhere) and just grow cereals and other such crops. If all the countries worked together and produced the food stuffs that they were best suited to, then this would result in much higher levels of production.

Maybe if we followed this model we'd increase food production without having to resort to harmful GM modification? Just an idea, but one that would change the landscape of the British countryside in enormous ways.
Old 14-08-2008, 09:39   #12
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

can see a parellel with communisum T.M. sounds great in theory,but will never work.
Old 14-08-2008, 10:05   #13
Loz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Monkey View Post
I was listening to a programme on R4 the other day concerning farming and food production in the UK. They were discussing the issues of being able to feed the world and the way that farming in the UK isn't really making the most of what we have. This isn't the farmers' fault.

Anyway, one suggestion was that better use could be made farming in the UK if we worked on a global level. For example, rather than trying to farm crops in Africa, where it's hard to arable farm due to the climate, you farm nothing but arable crops in countries where the climate is more suitable e.g. Western Europe for example. That would mean that we'd farm hardly any animals (that would be done elsewhere) and just grow cereals and other such crops. If all the countries worked together and produced the food stuffs that they were best suited to, then this would result in much higher levels of production.

Maybe if we followed this model we'd increase food production without having to resort to harmful GM modification? Just an idea, but one that would change the landscape of the British countryside in enormous ways.
Very good suggestion but like Margeret said the money will always win out over the good of the people.
Sad but true.
Old 14-08-2008, 10:34   #14
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Monkey View Post
So we grow crops on our fertile land and where abouts is this elsewhere that would grow meat? It couldn't be the areas of Africa because it is just as difficult to grow grass in these areas and grass is an essential ingrededient in the raising of most of the animals we eat.

If these animals are raised on such distant pastures what about transport costs? We already have people telling us to shop locally and use home grown products, which does seem to make some sort of sense compared with transporting from all corners of the globe, (now that's a phrase that confuses me, we live on a round rock so where are these corners?).

How many years ago was it that the European union offered our farmers money to stop using certain areas of land and allow them to go fallow? Perhaps before we export our meat industry we should do something about paying farmers to actually use land that we have rather than encourage them to become part of some giant monoculture?

Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2008, 10:55   #15
God Member

During the second World War this country had to be self sufficient in food production because the germans blocked our imports by preventing many merchant ships from arriving by sinking them en route.

There was a campaign titled 'Dig for Victory' - people began growing and raising livestock in their gardens and backyards. There are signs that this is again beginning to happen. Allotments are in the news - more people want them.

I doubt whether we could support ourselves that way now because our population has greatly increased since the 40s

It would mean that our diet would not contain the many exotic fruits and veg, but a healthy diet does not depend on them - they just give variety - nobody died for lack of bananas

Now we need to grow our own because food prices are spiralling - different cause - same result.

Today it has been very busy where I live because the council has delivered a lorry load of compost to the car park next to the allotments - it was a sight to behold - all ages from grandads to kids were shovelling like mad.

At least when you grow your own you can avoid eating poison.
Remember DDT and Agent Orange
DDT - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Agent Orange - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..