Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 20-11-2006, 18:41   #1
Apprentice Geriatric

Cool Get A Second Life

Free to join at https://secondlife.com/index.php?u=f5d3c0ac08f529b0420bda9ba69e89c5

Looks interesting!
Old 20-11-2006, 20:08   #2
Resting in peace

Re: Get A Second Life

I'm still trying to get to grips with the first life, Jambutty, and I am glad to still be here.
Ianto.W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2006, 20:14   #3
I am Banned

Im already on my 2nd life!!! LOL!!!!!!!!!
accymel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2006, 21:15   #4
God Member

Not a bad idea. MAybe I can now live a fantasy life that I have always wanted.

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2006, 08:21   #5
Resident Waffler

Isn't this the site Gayle posted about a while back but they were asking for credit card details before you could join their forum?

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2006, 08:54   #6

i cant get in!
Nell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2006, 10:34   #7
Apprentice Geriatric

Cool Re: Get A Second Life

I can Nell.

Maybe it’s because of your avatar veil? They can’t see your face.
Old 21-11-2006, 10:36   #8

Well im not removing it! Even if im asked politely, its my right as an individual lol
Nell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2006, 10:53   #9
God Member

it was hacked recently by a clone bot that effectively reduced the 'value' of all your inventions/ideas.

Maybe not a good idea to spend too much on there

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2006, 12:54   #10
Apprentice Geriatric

Cool Re: Get A Second Life

I wasn’t planning to spend anything at all until I have thoroughly sussed it out entwisi and even then maybe only $9.95 (less than a fiver) as a one off membership fee for Additional Basic membership.

The site currency is the “Lindex” and the exchange rate is approximately L$250 to the US dollar.

As a First Basic member you can customise your Avatar, get a sign up bonus of L$250, and have building opportunities. There does not appear to be any advantage in becoming an Additional member. However to be able to take part in everything you will need to become a Premium member for a monthly fee of $9.95 with reductions for quarterly ($7.50pm) or annual ($6.00pm) membership. But you do get L$1,000 as a sign up bonus and a weekly stipend of L$300. In two months you will get $4 sign up plus $1.20 for 9 weeks. A total of $14.80 worth of Lindex so in effect you get the first month and a half for free and then pay through the nose thereafter.

It sounds like a nice little earner for the site owner.

Second Life is compatible with a Windows 2000/XP driven PC or a Mac with OS X.

However I joined. I was obliged to enter my first name (real or otherwise) and select a second name from the lengthy list. I chose Grizot. I had to input my birthdate and email address.

The next step was to choose my Avatar from the dozen examples, although I could skip this step. I skipped and was taken to a page to reveal my true identity, password etc and input a security code. The code is far from clear and it took several attempts before I got it right.

The next step was to select either a credit card or PayPal in order to qualify for the bonus of L$250. You can skip this step but you lose the bonus. If you select PayPal you are taken to PayPal for your details to be registered with Second Life. I chose Credit Card because my PayPal account is all but empty so to spend via them it would fall to my Credit Card anyway.

Whilst completing the CC details a welcoming email arrived from Second Life and contained “If you haven't yet done so, be sure to download and install the Second Life client software.” I wonder what that is all about?

The next page invited me to upgrade to Premium but I skipped this step and arrived at a page that suggested that I download and install Second Life Client. No download link but then there is one in the welcoming email. The 23 MB setup.exe file took less than 2 minutes on my Broadband. I will install it later.

The page also burbled on about referring friends. As an incentive to do so you will get L$2,500 ($10 US) for every person that you refer AND s/he becomes a Premium member. A link to the referral form is conveniently to hand.

That’s it for now. Time for a brew before I log in and start to sort out my Avatar.

There is a teen Second Life at http://teen.secondlife.com/ for those under the age of 18. All paedophiles please form an orderly queue.
Old 21-11-2006, 15:16   #11
Apprentice Geriatric

Exclamation Re: Get A Second Life

Well I downloaded and installed the Second Life Client software and went for a stroll. The stroll was so slow that I got bored trying to sort out my Avatar. Maybe I need a graphic card but in all honesty I don’t think that it is worth the expense.

So I quit.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..