Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 24-12-2004, 00:11   #1
Always EVIL within us

Get it from Asda.....

Remember the days when if you wanted groceries, you went to the local supermarket?.....Then, they started stocking kitchenware so you could buy the frying pan to cook the items that you bought!.....The larger stores started to sell clothing so there was no need to go naked to the supermarket to buy the pan to cook the food that you bought from the supermarket.......

But can someone please explain why Asda of Accrington need a BISHOP to be in attendance at their store??

Bishop Philip Rushton has been appointed a chaplain of Accringtons Asda store so for those that need to seek the solace of a minister in the week leading up to Christmas, you can confess in aisle 5 at the Accrington Asda.

On a more serious note, Accrington has a completely mixed religious background and if I was Muslem, I would be offended by the approach of a christian minister in a local supermarket, likewise, I would be offended as a Christian if I was approached by a Moslem minister!

Religion is not something you buy off the shelf at your local supermarket, everyone has their choices and attend the church that they feel comfortable with! I think that Asda has over-stepped the mark by appointing a "Christian" Bishop to preach between the tins of baked beans and frozen foods...........

Do you have any views about this?????

Old 24-12-2004, 00:46   #2
mez
God Member

Re: Get it from Asda.....

excuse me for being ignorant, but can you tell me where ? & when as there been a bishop/ in asda supermarket accrington, i go frequently & im sorry but ive never seen him or her yet/
Old 24-12-2004, 00:53   #3
Always EVIL within us

Re: a full page advert in the Accy Observer dated Friday 24th Dec, plus a TV plug in the local news.......... (he is the guy with the dog collar Mez)
Old 24-12-2004, 06:23   #4
God Member

Well, I was in there last night and didn't see anyone. I have to agree with Busman on this. If I want to see a vicar I would go to church. If I wanted to become muslim I would attend there. If I want to buy food I go to the shops( although I do prefer the market and independant stores normally)
entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2004, 12:47   #5
Senior Member+

Correct it would seem that it is an American thing and the Walmarkts in America do this same thing at this time of year
Old 24-12-2004, 13:02   #6
Beacon of light

I think Asda's approach cheapens religion somewhat......and brings spirituality down to a materialistic commodity.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2004, 13:12   #7
Senior Member+

Will not argue with you there at all
Old 24-12-2004, 13:14   #8
Beacon of light

It makes me feel a bit uncomfortable......and how would Asda feel if the church started to sell tins of soup and beans????? Money lenders in the temple (inverted).
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2004, 15:22   #9
Senior Member+

You have to feel sorry for Asda ( walmart ) to get free publicity on tv, Granada Reports. I would have thought they made plenty of profits especially at christmas without resorting to such measures.
Old 24-12-2004, 18:31   #10
Senior Member+

i do have to agree it does cheapen the religon aspect - fair enough it is a christian thang but still...

to be honest i wouldnt be offended as a muslim because a bishop wudnt approach an asian for a confession or anythign - if anythign he wud just smile and say hello...

i think the thing is that religious ppl esp the priests etc have much more respect for other cultures they wud do their best not to offend. adn fair enough we do live in a country which is predominantly christian so as non christians we have to expect this.

but the whole thing has a gimmick feel to it though. as if someone sittin in an office had a brainwave and they thought lets do this we'll deffo make the evening news with this!!!

ppl go to asda to shop b it that way... if they wanted to confess there's always truth or dare
Old 24-12-2004, 22:41   #11
Resident Waffler

I can't really see him fulfilling any useful purpose. I did think maybe he was meant to be there for the people who struggle with Christmas, who are alone or lonely at a time which seems to be centred around celebrating with friends and family, but even so I can't see those people approaching him in Asda. That's why they put the careline phone numbers up on the TV for Samaritans and such like and that makes more sense to me.

I wouldn't be offended if he approached me, even though I'm not one of his "flock" and have a church which I belong to. I just wouldn't see any need for it or any point to it.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..