Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 25-06-2007, 08:35   #1
God Member

give me a pint....

not 600 ml!!!

Why have asda moved from selling double cream in good old pint(568ml) to 600ml!!!!!!

Stealth euro-ism me thinks!! (Although we did get teh extra cream for less money! )

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 25-06-2007, 09:09   #2
God Member

Re: give me a pint....

Quote:
Originally Posted by entwisi View Post
not 600 ml!!!

Why have asda moved from selling double cream in good old pint(568ml) to 600ml!!!!!!

Stealth euro-ism me thinks!! (Although we did get teh extra cream for less money! )
That makes a change, their usual scam would be to make them 550ml for the same price

www.ubuntu.com

K.S.H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2007, 09:57   #3

It's another part of their crafty plan. Entice you with the free cream and before you know it, a smelly teen who couldnt be less "happy to help" is helping you load your new TV and hi-fi system into the back of your car
Old 25-06-2007, 12:33   #4
Apprentice Geriatric

Cool Re: give me a pint....

Metrication might be the reason but more likely it is the supermarket policy of selling us more than we want to buy.

Recently you could buy a small tub of cole slaw and potato salad, which was enough for two people. In my case it would last for two meals. Last weekend I had the option of buying a much larger tub or paying more for their ‘special’ product.
Old 25-06-2007, 20:39   #5
God Member

This thread is just funny

I was going to say I fancy a pint aswell though but not of cream!
blazey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2007, 22:23   #6
Resident Waffler

You know where you are with pints. I think in inches, pounds and pints. I do not think in metric.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2007, 01:07   #7
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambutty View Post
Metrication might be the reason but more likely it is the supermarket policy of selling us more than we want to buy.

Recently you could buy a small tub of cole slaw and potato salad, which was enough for two people. In my case it would last for two meals. Last weekend I had the option of buying a much larger tub or paying more for their ‘special’ product.
Don't supermarkets have deli counters that serve loose amounts ?, a dollop of this or a scoop of that , surely you are able to ask for three, four , five slices of any meat or cheese you want ? thats what I thought the whole idea of a supermarket deli was all about or is everything pre-packed in plastic .
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2007, 11:53   #8
Apprentice Geriatric

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeljack View Post
Don't supermarkets have deli counters that serve loose amounts ?, a dollop of this or a scoop of that , surely you are able to ask for three, four , five slices of any meat or cheese you want ? thats what I thought the whole idea of a supermarket deli was all about or is everything pre-packed in plastic .
Supermarkets do have a ‘deli’ counter and I always buy any product in number of slices, rashers etc. But I was talking about the pre-packed goods.

Once upon a time you could buy two chops pre-packed or three chicken drumsticks, thighs, 2 pieces of fish etc. Now chops come in packs of 4, chicken drumsticks in packs of 5 and so on. If you can get a pre-pack of 2 pieces of cod, the pieces are larger than they used to be.

We are being manoeuvred into buying more than we want to and its being going on for years.
Old 26-06-2007, 12:37   #9
Resident Waffler

This may well explain why we have 'food waste' which the council doesn't want us to dispose of in any way other than in the wheelie bin which can then sit there for a fortnight before being collected.

Old 26-06-2007, 12:41   #10
God Member

Quote:
We are being manoeuvred into buying more than we want to and its being going on for years.

The latest trend, certainly at Asda is to price things for bulk buying, ie 2 for £3 etc. They price the first item at probably full retail price ie near £2 then say buy 2 for £3. Of course if you have room to store it all it can be good value but you can't help feel that by buying 1 you are being taken for a scuker.
Old 26-06-2007, 12:51   #11
Resident Waffler

I always go for those '3 for the price of 2 offers' and if it's food I freeze it because it's in a package of its own.

Busman is a great bargain hunter for things like that.

It's the stuff that is just packed in amounts more than we need which is frustrating. Packs of 5 chops for a family of 4. What do you do with one spare chop?

Old 26-06-2007, 13:06   #12
Apprentice Geriatric

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancsdave View Post
The latest trend, certainly at Asda is to price things for bulk buying, ie 2 for £3 etc. They price the first item at probably full retail price ie near £2 then say buy 2 for £3. Of course if you have room to store it all it can be good value but you can't help feel that by buying 1 you are being taken for a scuker.
Another ploy to get us to buy more than we intend.

I prefer Iceland’s BOGOF’s. But I don’t buy them just because they are there.
Quote:
What do you do with one spare chop?
Eat it and get fat WillowTheWhisp.

Could all this be one reason for obesity? We are being forced to buy more than we want to and then we eat it so as not to waste it.

Once a fortnight or so I get fish, small portion of chips and small carton of peas from my local chippie. But even that is too much for me. I reckon that two lots would be enough for three people.
Old 26-06-2007, 13:25   #13
Resident Waffler

If the kids ever want something and chips I just get them one lot of chips between the two. Not because I'm being mean but because I know if they get a portion of chips each half of them will be thrown away.

Old 26-06-2007, 14:50   #14
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by entwisi View Post
not 600 ml!!!

I can't be doing with the new fangled pint stystem, never mind metric.

My cream comes in quarts.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2007, 18:33   #15
God Member

Quote:
Once upon a time you could buy two chops pre-packed or three chicken drumsticks, thighs, 2 pieces of fish etc. Now chops come in packs of 4, chicken drumsticks in packs of 5 and so on. If you can get a pre-pack of 2 pieces of cod, the pieces are larger than they used to be.

the obvious answer to that is ..........support your local butcher, fishmonger , greengrocer etc...........dont be a slave to consumerism
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..